Opinion Changes v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about form, it's about potential. We're not contending for shit this year and probably not for a while after that. The priority needs to be on what the team looks like in three years, not right now.

Finlayson is 26, has been in the system 8 years and is a known quantity. He's at best a B grader and has a history of struggling in big games and against good teams.

Georgiades is a very talented young player with A grader potential who should be getting development time in the AFL not the SANFL.
At best Finlayson is a 2 goal a game KPF who walks into any forward line in the competition. And aside from his first couple of weeks (which we now all know the unfortunate backstory to) that's exactly what he's been for us.

Your argument basically boils down to "I don't care how much better Finlayson is playing than Georgiades, I like Georgiades more so we should play him instead", which is the absolute definition of a gold pass.

Anyway, if we're dropping anyone for Georgiades because of looking to the future, it should be Dixon, not Finlayson. Finlayson is significantly younger and in significantly better form than Dixon.

Last edited:
At best Finlayson is a 2 goal a game KPF who walks into any forward line in the competition. And aside from his first couple of weeks (which we now all know the unfortunate backstory to) that's exactly what he's been for us.

Your argument basically boils down to "I don't care how much better Finlayson is playing than Georgiades, I like Georgiades more so we should play him instead", which is the absolute definition of a gold pass.

If you want to make an argument for Finlayson over Dixon then sure. I'm endorsing the Primus approach of happily giving young players gold passes because I think it's vital we fast track our better young players to avoid an extended period towards the bottom of the ladder.

I would also be looking to get Duursma and Bergman into the team and then rotate Sinn, Frederick, Mead, Burgoyne and others through the team to see what they've got at the level.

Unfortunately we have a coach in self preservation mode who doesn't care what the future looks like because he won't be there, which is why we need to sack him ASAP.

Yes Finlayson struggled to find consistency at the Giants but that wasn't helped by them playing him as a key defender for the first part of his career. When he was shifted up forward in 2019 he was a key part of the reason why the Giants made the Grand Final - kicking 44 goals and in the top 20 AFL players for marks inside the forward 50. This is not 'B grader' stuff IMHO.

But he is not over the hill at 26 and has only just joined us. It would be madness to dump him for reasons other than form. How he is used is the key issue.

And frankly on form and potential Finlayson deserves his spot. While his goal accuracy has let him down he has played some good games for us. Best of all he has a good tank and has a capacity to run his defender ragged running up the ground. Reckon he has the potential to be a key forward for several years for us if he keeps up his consistency and kicks straight.

I agree with Schulzy - he has earned his spot and easily ranks above Georgiades.
Hes not much older than Shulz when he came to Port who had a very similar history at Richmond (though was notably tougher).

Hes not much older than Shulz when he came to Port who had a very similar history at Richmond (though was notably tougher).
No he didn't, Schulz was crap at Richmond. Finlayson at GWS was twice the player of Schulz at Richmond.

Bergman for DBJ
Finlayson is more skillful than I thought he was tbh he could play for another 6-7 years so he's part of the future.
Dixon should be moved to ruck, sharing duties with Hayes.

Georgiades finishing was off but aside from that he was having about as good a season as could be hoped from a 3rd year key forward. About 20% up on 2021 in most statistics.

You don’t leave your best talent in the magoos.
Not at all, its been extremely disappointing. Without Dixon on the field he looks too small to be a KPP. A strong mark but only in certain situations. Not a good decision maker when he plays up the field. Just looks very limited.

Didn't Port's recruiting team liken Georgiades to Fyfe regarding his aerobic capacity?
Might be worth a try, could Georgiades ruck a little in the periods when Hayes goes for a breather? We need to settle our forward line and SPP isn't an option in ruck for mine especially as Richmond have two genuine Ruckman.
I'd like to see Hinkley try something different to re-spark a players confidence, giving Georgiades some time on the ball might do that.

Play Georgie as the lead up forward/roaming forward, get him up the ground and use his aerobic capacity

dbj needs a spell, won’t happen but needs to

motlop the same.

if Amon is going, seasons done so get games into duursma

out: Amon, Motlop, dbj

in: Georgie duursma and Jones

play these kids for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finlayson has kicked 8.2 against the bottom 3 and 5.8 against the rest. He is a player who doesn't handle pressure, which means he was basically born to play for Port Adelaide.
He kicked 6 goals 7 in his first four games when his partner was living in the shadow of colorectal cancer and 7 goals 3 after finding out that the tumor had disappeared after chemotherapy. Your right. He obviously doesn't handle pressure well. What a soft****.

Yes he went missing in the 2019 grand final, like the rest of his team.

He has played 60 games as a forward by which you have him pegged as a known quantity. Marshall came into this season having played 58 games so I suppose he was a known quantity as well? Couldn't hope for a better 2022 from him? Or what about Jay Schultz who had played 71 games and was 25 and was pegged as a failure at Richmond before coming to play at Port. I suppose he was also a known quantity.

You are making broad sweeping statements shoeboxing Finlayson to further your Georgiades agenda. I love watching Georgiades play well as much as anyone for the Power and I think there is room for both of them in the side. At any rate he doesn't get a free pass into the side at the expense of another forward who is finding his way in a new team and could potentially be part of our forward line up for another five years.

Didn't Port's recruiting team liken Georgiades to Fyfe regarding his aerobic capacity?
Might be worth a try, could Georgiades ruck a little in the periods when Hayes goes for a breather? We need to settle our forward line and SPP isn't an option in ruck for mine especially as Richmond have two genuine Ruckman.
I'd like to see Hinkley try something different to re-spark a players confidence, giving Georgiades some time on the ball might do that.
Thought that for a while as well. Given our mid season draft ruck/forward selection why not look at Ollie Lord playing as a key defender eg CHB. Has many attributes.

Seriously we are two weeks away from season over, losses to Richmond and Sydney means we might as well blood younger players

Find a spot for Williams yes he will be blowing hard by 1/4 time but we need to see if he’s going to be a player

Same with Lord and Schofield

They might not be 100% ready but we can find out if they have something

We aren’t doing shit this year and we should try to get something worthwhile out of it

Seriously we are two weeks away from season over, losses to Richmond and Sydney means we might as well blood younger players

Find a spot for Williams yes he will be blowing hard by 1/4 time but we need to see if he’s going to be a player

We aren’t doing shit this year and we should try to get something worthwhile out of it
Forget about being two weeks away. Next week is a must win, if we lose next week then its practically season over (if it isn't already).

If we drop 2 either of our next of those, we then need to then beat at least one of Geelong (H), Melb (A, but not the MCG), Freo (A) or somehow massively improve our % and thats assuming we beat Collingwood away who at this point would be favourites to beat us.

For us to make finals, we realistically need to win at least 8 of our remaining 11. If we only win 7 then we need to massively improve our percentage.

Our run home from here is as follows, if we win the games i have marked as must win but lose the other 3 i have us getting in by 1 win but with a worse percentage that the team in 9th.

13 - Richmond MCG (must win)
14 - Sydney AO (must win)
15 - Gold Coast AO (must win)
16 - Freo OS
17 - GWS AO (must win)
18 - Melb TP
19 - Geelong AO
20 - Coll MCG (must win)
21 - Rich AO (must win)
22 - Ess MRVL (must win)
23 - ADL AO (must win)

From what i've seen this year i really struggle to see us beating all of Sydney, Richmond (twice), Collingwood and even the Suns.

Forget about being two weeks away. Next week is a must win, if we lose next week then its practically season over (if it isn't already).

If we drop 2 either of our next of those, we then need to then beat at least one of Geelong (H), Melb (A, but not the MCG), Freo (A) or somehow massively improve our % and thats assuming we beat Collingwood away who at this point would be favourites to beat us.

For us to make finals, we realistically need to win at least 8 of our remaining 11. If we only win 7 then we need to massively improve our percentage.

Our run home from here is as follows, if we win the games i have marked as must win but lose the other 3 i have us getting in by 1 win but with a worse percentage that the team in 9th.

13 - Richmond MCG loss
14 - Sydney AO loss
15 - Gold Coast AO loss
16 - Freo OS loss
17 - GWS AO loss
18 - Melb Loss
19 - Geelong Loss
20 - Coll MCG loss
21 - Rich AO loss
22 - Ess MRVL win
23 - ADL AO loss
From what i've seen this year i really struggle to see us beating all of Sydney, Richmond (twice), Collingwood and even the Suns.
Fixed it for you

totally agree. as it stands right now play best available. but loose to rich and sydney its season done anyway. show hinkley the door.

Might as well compete for a higher draft pick.

See the back of Motlop and Amon.
"rest" Gray, Boak, Dixon every now and then.

Drop under preforming players, DBJ etc

Run Duursma and Jones back into form.

Blood Lord, Schofield and Burgoyne. And not out of position as crumbing forwards etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back