Preview Changes v Saints Rd 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks for Jong, much more of a better outlook than riskng it for a month. Wallis and Hunter in, Jong and Smith out for mine

I'm having a LOT of trouble deciding who comes in for Linsanity.

Wallis - if fit and ready, he's probably first in line and will provide a bit of freshness to what will be an exhausted midfield brigade

Hunter - has been playing well in the VFL but not exactly a like for like replacement. His creativity and skill would suit our new style, not sure his defensive work is where it needs to be (haven't had a chance to see much VFL beyond the televised game, someone correct me if he's improving here)

Dale - would be a good game to give young Bailey his debut. Has also been performing well at VFL level and has shown a knack for finding the goals

Grant - provides pace, creativity and goal sense without being someone who gets a lot of possessions. I was against having him in ahead of a few others at the start of the year but his performances have impressed me

Biggs - quality ball user that had a good last game in the VFL after one of those 'almost' games against Box Hill. Don't think he'd go anywhere near replacing Jong in terms of contested stuff but would provide another bloke who could hurt the Saints on the rebound where we've been doing our best work

In the very brief snippet of vision that accompanied the news of Jongs injury Wallis could be seen doing drills and appeared to be moving freely.

I'd suggest that he'd be a certainty to come in for Jong.

goodcop badcop said:
Damn, there goes our ruckman. Gonna make it even harder to keep our decoy ruckman in now.
I thought Cordy was our decoy 4th midfielder? ?

Biggs upside is that he's a ball magnet when you put him in the guts - it's only the NEAFL but he just was piling up the 40 possession games there. First game this week where he wasn't on restrictions cause of his injury and he picks up 30 touches. I'd be putting him straight in the middle to see what he can provide.

Just woke up from a little nap.. Jongy Fractured hand.... ****!

Well at this rate we should be out of mids by round 9! Crap

Just woke up from a little nap.. Jongy Fractured hand.... ****!

Well at this rate we should be out of mids by round 9! Crap
Oh it's only ttwo weeks, thats pretty good, i was thinking the worst! Ok still sucks but 2 weeks is a little less dissapointing.

Jong being out and my reaction shows me how far this bloke has come in 12 months. It sucks! We are going to miss his speed and creativity. To my eye he has been involved in the majority of our fast counter-attacks. We do not have a like for like replacement.

Having said that, glad to hear the club is taking a cautious approach. He will be able to keep his fitness up during the two weeks. Gives other players who probably deserve a game a good go to. This is supposed to be a development year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Jong, Smith
In: Biggs, Dale

Stick Biggs on the wing and in the guts rotating with Webb in the backline. Probs put Dale as the sub and let him come on in the 3rd and tear up the track.

You can all be happy, because Jong out pretty much stamps Cordy being dropped, without Jong as third up he has no safety net. How do we replace Jong... Are any of these kids ready, have they been playing it up at VFL level. would be a great game to bring in Daniels, give the saints that warm nostolgia of a helmeted player... then the heart ache that he is in red white and blue hehehe

I must be missing something with regards to Cordy, people are talking about his defensive pressure and what he brings to our set up (he did sweet FA).... Sure he is more mobile than Will & TC but Jong got more hit outs than him... He's in the side as a ruckman first and foremost and must give us a chance at the stoppages, he should be using his leap & mobility to cause headaches for the opposition and isn't doing either at the moment...

Anyone who thinks that either Minson or Campbell wouldn't have out performed Ayces output on Saturday are kidding themselves...
I think Will doesn't always do what he's told... places to go on the ground... structuring up how the coach wants. That's what I took from Bev on 3AW Mon night.

In the very brief snippet of vision that accompanied the news of Jongs injury Wallis could be seen doing drills and appeared to be moving freely.

I'd suggest that he'd be a certainty to come in for Jong.
Wallis only started running on Saturday. I doubt he will play this week.

I like the idea of Dale getting some games this year, but is his defensive game any better than Hunters?
From the very little I've seen of him (and I'll admit I've only seen one of Hunters games this year, which also happened to be one of his less dominant ones) I think it probably would be. He's quicker and even though he's slight he's very willing to tackle and do the hard stuff. Whether he has the fitness base to not be a liability in the zone over the whole game well I don't know, and the club is in the best position to make that call. I really like what both of them would bring to our offensive game, especially inside 50. They both seem perfectly suited to the way we attack, Dale with his raw pace and long accurate kick and Hunter because he's just so damn creative, could see him starting, and linking up in numerous scoring chains with ridiculously creative handballs. Whether he's willing to put in the maniac pressure we require well I just don't know. I'd love if someone whose been at the last two VFL games could answer the question thats been asked a million times :p how was Hunter defensively? His tackle numbers aren't great but you don't get a stat for applying pressure and harassing everyone in sight, and running back to help the team on the defence. Thats what I want from him, in the AFL its a hell of a lot more contested so you get bigger tackle counts.

Having our own VFL team afforded Bev the luxury of sending Will back to work on how he wants him to play. Sounds like he'll be back in this week.

Having our own VFL team afforded Bev the luxury of sending Will back to work on how he wants him to play. Sounds like he'll be back in this week.

I think he'll be angry and want to prove himself too. As long as that means he monsters Hickey and Longer, and doesn't give away free kicks it should be good to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back