Preview Changes v Saints Rd 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrovat was all class against Swans
hope he isn't sub this weekend

Mmmm...I like Hrovat as much as the next guy, but I reckon this is a bit of a stretch.

Most of his kicks went nowhere near a teammate and his DE was 60. Also sprayed a shot at goal on the run, IIRC.

Great player - needs to work on his disposal, for mine.

My choice would be to ruck Roughead, leave Fletcher -ROBERTS down back, I believe Fletcher must stay in know.
MORRIS to return later, Biggs terrific on weekend, things can be handled down back.
ROUGHEAD must play first ruck.
Agree with this, personally we have no other rucks who can play this role. Only difference is I would bring in Hamling for Cordy as he can play either end, including help Boyd with the back up ruck role. Biggs another week or there is an injury. An obvious replacement for Webb, but only if Webb is sore as he is super impressive.

Yeah, I'd say there will be a couple of young fellas who won't come up after such a tough game.

Fortunately, we have a few guys going alright with Footscray - Biggs, Hunter, Dale, Grant...

Nice to have a little bit of depth.

Have a feeling Bev will give Cordy one more week. Personally i would drop him and bring in either Minson/Campbell or Hamling. If hamling comes in then Roughy to ruck.

It's hard to change a winning side but at the same time we need to reward form and Hunter and Dale have been in good touch along with Big Red.
We may go unchanged but wouldn't be surprised to see some players out with soreness.

Wood - Talia - Webb
M Boyd - Roberts - Murphy
Macrae - Picken - Johannisen
Dahlhaus - Crameri - Honeychurch
Stringer - T Boyd - Dickson
Roughead - Bontempelli - Wallis

Grant - Stevens - Jong - Hrovat

In: Wallis, Grant

Out: Cordy, Smith

Want to rest Clay and trial Roughie in the ruck. Hopefully Wallis is fit. Will back Grant to light it up in those conditions.

Wood - Talia - Webb

Want to rest Clay and trial Roughie in the ruck. Hopefully Wallis is fit. Will back Grant to light it up in those conditions.

I like it Badger, but who plays on Hickey while he is up forward and Longer is rucking? Wood?

If we go down this path what about Hamling in instead of Grant to play down back?

I like it Badger, but who plays on Hickey while he is up forward and Longer is rucking? Wood?

If we go down this path what about Hamling in instead of Grant to play down back?
Hadn't considered their second ruck, somehow - did want to find a spot for Hammer, though.

Like it. Makes more sense.

Mmmm...I like Hrovat as much as the next guy, but I reckon this is a bit of a stretch.

Most of his kicks went nowhere near a teammate and his DE was 60. Also sprayed a shot at goal on the run, IIRC.

Bontempelli's DE was far worse. It was wet weather a DE of 60 is pretty bloody good.

Bonts was going at 37% mid way in the 3rd

Wood - Talia - Webb

So you bring in grant instead of giving a kid a run against a shit team ? Come on mate ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering how many would be sticking up for Minson or Campbell if they performed the same as Cordy has and had been subbed off twice in 4 games, I think there is a bit of personal hate in regards to Minson on rumours from last season.
I hear ya... But I think it's not anti-Will sentiment, I think people just wanna see Ayce get some more experience and GET BETTER ASAP, seeing as though Minno will be entering the twilight of his career shortly...

To judge players on DE in those conditions are rough. Bont kicked 2 critical goals in the game . Hrovat was epic when he came on

No changes.

Swans game may take a toll on the older boys but not the kids. There should be NO tired bodies umongst the kids this early, a game like that shouldn't effect them in round 5. those games take a toll on young teams in round 15, but not round 5. if it does, we are no where near fit enough, and you can forget any pipe dreams of 'finals' if the kids are that unfit. becasue we will fall on our asses by round 12 anyway, if that were the case.

But seeing as we have managed to maintain the pressure for 4 quarters in all but 1 game... i would say fitness is not an issue.

In Hunter, Hamling
Out Smith, Cordy

I really think Clay has been below average in both weeks, he was rushed in too early and we currently have Hunter breaking down the door in the VFL. He deserves a run. Roughead I really like as the No 1 ruck and would like to see us persist with him. Hamling comes in for Cordy as an extra tall is needed.

Agree with this, personally we have no other rucks who can play this role. Only difference is I would bring in Hamling for Cordy as he can play either end, including help Boyd with the back up ruck role. Biggs another week or there is an injury. An obvious replacement for Webb, but only if Webb is sore as he is super impressive.

Aside from the Ruck position and trying to see if Roughy is the man for the job, it is equally important to find out if the Talia/Roberts combination can be the answer to the key defensive jobs. With Moz out for a few weeks it is the perfect time to give them a few weeks in the role.
Come trade/draft week we need a "plan b" if there are no rucks or KPD willing or available to come to the club.

I would just make the solitary change Ayce for Hamling with Roughy taking the main ruck role and getting support from Boyd. I am tempted to see Biggs in the team as well so someone might have to go also.

Hamling needs to fill both the 3rd tall defender role as well as play on occasion CHF when Boyd plays some time in the ruck. Keep Stringer inside the forward 50 at all times and also have Roberts give a chop out or two on occasion (lets face it hes got more chance of a hit out than Ayce).

Main Matchups
Talia - Riewoldt
Roberts - Bruce
Hamling - Resting Ruck
Picken/defensive mid - Steven
Stringer - Fisher
Boyd - Delaney
Crameri - Dempster
Roughead - Longer.

If bev wants someone who is best suited to provide good competitive ruckwork + also reading the game/taking marks/keeping the zone in tact then he should go no further than Roughead.

If you want to see the difference to defensive structure between Minson and Cordy, look how many slingshot goals that the Eagles got in Round 1 against us because they were able to crack open our zone to a slightly bigger extent than Richmond, Adelaide and Sydney managed to. The cracks in our defensive zone and structure get patched up with Cordy in the ruck even if we lose some contests in the middle. Footy tactics are evolving, and the role of the ruckman in ruck contests is becoming less significant than how they cover the ground - it's an extreme example but how else has Mark Blicavs played 50 games of AFL footy? Be glad for once we've got a coach, that's at the forefront of tactical innovation in our league rather than McCartney who insisted that winning the contested possession was the most vital tactic even though that logic was blatantly outdated by the time he was appointed as coach.

I'm not saying that Cordy deserves to retain his selection - he was god awful in the ruck especially in the first quarter - I'm saying don't be so dismissive in the logic as to which he was selected in the first place. There's not many blokes on AFL lists over 2 metres tall like him with comparable mobility and agility.

I'm not for resting players who are for all intents and purposes playing ok. Injury or soreness that could lead to injury then I have no issue with precaution.

I'm not for resting the likes of Webb or Smith unless it's formed based. I'm also not sure we should make too many changes to a winning side. I think Webb is a bit special and unless he's buggered then I wouldn't be dropping him back just yet. Make him the sub before you do that.

We play the Saints this week and we cannot afford to drop the ball here. We must beat the teams around us and they are one of them. We should not mess with this team too much, tinker here and there is ok but no wholesale changes based on resting up guys. We ain't that good yet.

I'd look at making a change if Wallis is available and perhaps we'd look at do we need the extra tall defender or go with an attacking player like grant or hunter for Fletch this week.

If we think cords can handle the saints resting ruck when forward then we go again with him, and if not we bring in Will and use Toydy as the chop out.
The thing is that was a hard game against a strong bodied team in the wet. Even if they pulled up ok, it's hard for young players to bring the same energy after a game like that. It should definitely be a consideration at the very least.

Need Campbell or Minson in the ruck not Cordy and not roughead

Need Campbell or Minson in the ruck not Cordy and not roughead
On what basis? Have either demonstrated in the VFL their value in defensive structures and mobility? Have either demonstrated they bring more to the overall team than playing Roughy in the ruck with backup from Boyd and maybe a Hamling? Is Beverage changing his game structure to incorporate a pure centre bounce ruckman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back