Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Lester moves from 197 to 198 games against Sydney.

#LesterArmy #Lester200 #Lesternista#FrogMarch #LesterCompulsiveDisorder#LesterFiveYearDeal #Lesterism #Lesterites#LesterDynasty #LesterBreaksLines#LesterInterceptMarkKing#LesterSpeedMachine#YouveBeenTackledByLester
#LesterWonItForUs

Still early days but if Cameron goes he should be replaced by Robertson who can play a similar role. Starcevich for MCKenna is the other most likely scenario. The rest of the team should stay as I believe they all should get the chance to play against the best team in the competition at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could do Starce in for Morris and put Brain as the sub

Could Berry go to Blakey? Get the feeling he'll carve us up
Ah Chee to Blakey
Berry/Dunkley to Warner/Heeney
Rowbottom will tag Neale

Gulden needs to be manned by Fletcher or Reville. I like Fletcher as he'll hurt them going the other way.

First time Neale has been tagged since Ashcroft returned?

We have a few options now to pick up the slack

Also, does Berry tag Heeney?
Would definitely give Berry the job when he's in the middle. When he moves forward it's a little more difficult. Not sure I'd be overly comfortable having Berry follow him down there, but then I'm not sure there's an obvious match up in defence for him either.

Moving into the final phase of our fixture now with 5/6 of our remaining games against teams we are competing with for a spot in the 8 / 4. Going to be challenging.

Could do Starce in for Morris and put Brain as the sub

Could Berry go to Blakey? Get the feeling he'll carve us up
Gulden & Blakey are the two who worry me most given our transition defence has been so shit the past month. Hopefully we spend all week on that this week and we don't allow them to carve us up in space, or it could get ugly like that Giants game earlier in the year.

Moving into the final phase of our fixture now with 5/6 of our remaining games against teams we are competing with for a spot in the 8 / 4. Going to be challenging.
Most of the other teams are in a very similar situation though especially when it’s so close right down to 13.

Would definitely give Berry the job when he's in the middle. When he moves forward it's a little more difficult. Not sure I'd be overly comfortable having Berry follow him down there, but then I'm not sure there's an obvious match up in defence for him either.
Starce has done a very good gob on Heeney previously when playing forward.
He is playing a bit more in the mids this year so we would need to get the change over right when he moves forward.
My tip is Dunkley to sit on him at stoppages and Starce when he is forward.

Most of the other teams are in a very similar situation though especially when it’s so close right down to 13.

True, it’s just how many of those teams have soft games outside of playing us, eg GCS has a pretty soft draft, Geelong soft, Carlton soft etc

Gulden & Blakey are the two who worry me most given our transition defence has been so shit the past month. Hopefully we spend all week on that this week and we don't allow them to carve us up in space, or it could get ugly like that Giants game earlier in the year.
Do we need Sharp back in .
He was in the side when we were peaking with transition defense and one of the chess pieces to get to that level.
As composed as Reville is I have reservations regarding defending wide open spaces against teams like Sydney.
Same goes for Will and Bailey.
I think it will only be only one change for Starc, so those three guys need to really step up.
I am a big Ah Chee fan, but I seriously don't know where he is at regarding these areas, he's off my radar.
Always thought he could be one of the best wingers in the comp, but I just don't see that happening .

Starce has done a very good gob on Heeney previously when playing forward.
He is playing a bit more in the mids this year so we would need to get the change over right when he moves forward.
My tip is Dunkley to sit on him at stoppages and Starce when he is forward.
Thought Starce would be a lock for the Papley job, but you're right he could very easily be responsible for Heeney too, which would then present a problem as to who goes to Papley. As I said above, it's a game I wouldn't be totally against playing Answerth in if he's right to come back. They've got a lot of dangerous smalls/mediums and whilst we have a lot of guys who can play back there, none of them who played on the weekend are great as lockdown defenders.

Starce in for Brain. Mckenna, Bailey won't be dropped and nor should they. They are attacking players, obviously given free reign to take the game on. That's their role. They are the attacking batsmen, contributing 30-40 runs each game at the moment, failing to go on with it, but ya know a big 100 is coming up. They aren't costing us games by any means.

The Charlie incident sounds like it's being beat up loud enough to cost him a week. If so, Ashcroft plays more fwd and Bruuuce comes back onto his wing. Bruuuce is wasted as a sub. His best comes the longer the game goes. I don't see him as a quick impact sub. Brain on the other hand I think plays the sub better.

Logan Morris looks like he needs a refresh. Good opportunity v the Swans to do so. It's a tough call. The extra tall with Grundy running around like a midfielder would be handy. Henry Smith might be ready for first grade but is he ready for the Swans? Does Fort come in to assist O? Or do we go short, just Joe n Hippy, bring in a runner or another defensive mid/fwd to tie down Goulden or Blakey? Dev or Sharp.

Big test for us but we're the underdogs, we're the ones with nothing to lose. Come out strong, be the hunters, we're a good chance of causing the upset.

The biggest thing off at the moment is our defence including team defence. But i think that is mainly fixed by our midfield. I really rate Sharp and his running is elite, but it wouldn't really make sense to suddenly include him now because who are you dropping from the midfield? If Fagan was an outside the box Sharp would come in but zero chance it actually happens.

So we need to hope our team defence improves, but also just become a bit more miserly in our actual defensive 7. McKenna is an attacking defender out of form. It makes sense for him to go out of the 22 at least. This is staring the MC right in the face. Be interesting to see if they will act. Brain has been excellent when coming in and still attacking at times - set up a goal through 2 really nice kicks in the one passage of play on the weekend.

We are not getting a lot out of Morris, he did have 9 possessions, but i think it makes sense to give him a spell after a perth trip as well.

It's a bit academic with question marks over Starce and Cameron. I hope we are conservative with Starce given long term health and i reckon players are often a bit off when they come back off the minimum concussion break.

I started to write out scenarios for who comes in but it got so complicated. We should be wary of really flat flat players after Perth trip. Maybe a trip to the movies from the Grant Thomas play book??

So i'll simplify it by saying starce and cameron play if fit, and otherise

MORRIS needs a rest

McKENNA needs to play 2s

BRAIN and REVILLE should be in the 22

ROBERSTON or AH CHEE should play on Blakey

SHARP should be considered for sub given his run and us coming off Perth trip

NO IDEA who we should tag in the middle but i think it is less about stopping one player with the swans, and more about a strategy to actually win centre clearances. The one bloke i wouldn't give much room is WARNER because he cheats a bit and is bloody dangerous

Definitely an interesting one for our midfield mix. I get why we are slowly introducing Ashcroft through the wing but to be honest I don't like him there that much. Definitely not his best role. But at the same time we keep switching Berry and McCluggage in and out. This game id be tempted to keep Berry wide on Guldan all game and Dunkley do the job of Heeney.

Tough with Mills and Parker coming back in they just have a huge amount of quality midfield depth. Feel that is where its won or lost.

Im less worried by Amerty and McDonald as tall forwards. Our tall defence is getting weak but they should match up ok this week. Starc/Answerth straight in and to Papley.

Blakely is just so good at going from the backine. Ah Chee might need to do a straight forward tag on him. Don't care if Cal barely touches the ball just don't let Blakely break the lines at will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back