Changes v. Tigers (Rd 9) - Gawn, Riley in for Frawley, Byrnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightfully so, It is rubbish what taggers can get away with. I want to see ball players allowed to at least go the ball, Jones and Cotch are 2 absolute contested beasts who deserve to be treated better than being held off every contest.
The way footy is these days when star forwards have 3 defenders lined up on them.
The reason people don't bother turning up to games.

Hopefully we get a big crowd for both teams in tribute to the great Tommy Hafey R.I.P.

The way footy is these days when star forwards have 3 defenders lined up on them.
The reason people don't bother turning up to games.

Hopefully we get a big crowd for both teams in tribute to the great Tommy Hafey R.I.P.

Frawley doesnt need help with JR8, mate....:cool::D

Bit off topic guys, but i was wondering for saturday's game, where do the home team's cheer squad sit? Wanna know so i don't get stuck with the 'yellow and black's army' .. o_O

Bit off topic guys, but i was wondering for saturday's game, where do the home team's cheer squad sit? Wanna know so i don't get stuck with the 'yellow and black's army' .. o_O
They will be at the Punt Road End as they always are... Grog Squad behind them of course.

They will be at the Punt Road End as they always are... Grog Squad behind them of course.
Wouldn't it be the ponsford stand as the home team gets the punt road end? I'm sure our cheer squad will be in the ponsford stand as the away team is always there. Plus I recall that footage of Jim Stynes marking the ball in the cheer squad was in the ponsford stand.

Byrnes has deserved every game he's got IMO.
tumblr_m96ltrrxNx1r8p2q4.gif

VFL player review is up, Riley seems ready nobody else seems to have the green light. I'm guessing Gawn and Clisby were non playing emergencies last game? Sucks for them, maybe Clisby can come in regardless.

Aidan Riley: Aidan played on ball and half-forward. He had 27 possessions and another strong week. He cleared the ball very well for us on occasions and used it quite well this week. Aidan’s getting quite close to full fitness now and he’ll be really pushing hard for senior selection from this point on.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-05-13/vfl-player-review-round-six

He didn't need to be dropped, he was playing well but he was sent back to work on a couple of things in the VFL.

Much easier to learn and put things into practice at VFL level than it is AFL level.

I didnt think he was playing well, He was playing OK much like many of our other players at the time
Was it right that he was the one dropped? Probably not but he wasn't gifted a game on his draft position an he now has to be clearly better than someone in the seniors to crack a game and I am all for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt think he was playing well, He was playing OK much like many of our other players at the time
Was it right that he was the one dropped? Probably not but he wasn't gifted a game on his draft position an he now has to be clearly better than someone in the seniors to crack a game and I am all for it

Toumpy will come back a better player for being dropped, the thing for him is he's still very much a boy against men - even at VFL level where his talent stands out despite this.

I wouldn't even mind if he played 5 or so games for the rest of the year.

Toumpy will come back a better player for being dropped, the thing for him is he's still very much a boy against men - even at VFL level where his talent stands out despite this.

I wouldn't even mind if he played 5 or so games for the rest of the year.

The beauty of Roos is you know that when toump comes back into the side he will be ready and firing

Spending time with George Stone and Paul Roos you know he will be a far better player by the time he makes it back into the side

Good result with Deledio and Viney playing after MR overturns.

This game needs all the star power it can get.

You guys could really put Dimma under some heat this week so the ambulance chasing journos will be watching us.

Yeah I don't think Hafey passing will have that much effect on this game. Not exactly certain if Hafey is more of a Richmond Legend or more of an AFL legend - I'd probably go for the latter, but clearly his past ties hold weight. You generally hear more about Sydney with Hafey than you do Richmond, but either way, it's a shame he passed.

We beat them preseason, we can do it again - especially now we're playing A shit load better than we were back then. We have an element of the unknown still with Chippa up forward, our backline is still strong, and our midfield is a lot stronger simply due to having some games under the belt, and on top of all that, we know we can win. The Last point is most important.

I like the tiges, but I like beating them more, here's to a good, hard fought out victory to the Dees!!!

RIP Hafey
Sorry mate, but to suggest we hear more about Hafey's time at Sydney than the Tigers, or Collingwood, is way off the mark. Believe me, he is a Tiger legend, and inducted as an Immortal of the Club along with Jack Dyer, KB, Francis Bourke, and Royce Hart.

Good luck Saturday.

Nothing against Bail but if we want to bring in another kid I can't see too many others making way for him. Maybe Jones but he isn't really sub material
Matt Jones and Bail are Melbournes hardest running HHF/wings and have a very important role.

Bail is also the best sweeper at the stoppages as a HHF

Sorry mate, but to suggest we hear more about Hafey's time at Sydney than the Tigers, or Collingwood, is way off the mark. Believe me, he is a Tiger legend, and inducted as an Immortal of the Club along with Jack Dyer, KB, Francis Bourke, and Royce Hart.

Good luck Saturday.
Mate - I know his history with the tiges, 4 cups as coach 5 years as a player - it's a good history - however - you hear more about hafey going to Sydney than you do about his time at the tiges. Now the reasoning behind that could be the way your club is viewed by other AFL supporters, or it could be the fact that Hafey is loved by people outside of your club due to the fact that he's had alot of impact on the game away from Richmond. To a Tiges supporter Hafey is all richmond - but to the rest of us - Hafey is more than that. He's an AFL legend.

Mate - I know his history with the tiges, 4 cups as coach 5 years as a player - it's a good history - however - you hear more about hafey going to Sydney than you do about his time at the tiges. Now the reasoning behind that could be the way your club is viewed by other AFL supporters, or it could be the fact that Hafey is loved by people outside of your club due to the fact that he's had alot of impact on the game away from Richmond. To a Tiges supporter Hafey is all richmond - but to the rest of us - Hafey is more than that. He's an AFL legend.
You don't really hear more about Hafey at Sydney though. Maybe it's just you.

Hafey is a Richmond legend and an AFL legend.

So is RDB.

Doesn't mean we don't claim him.

When I hear 'Tom Hafey' I immediately think 'Richmond coach, 4 flags'. I didn't even remember he was Sydney coach until you mentioned it. He is definitely an AFL legend, but that is due to his success at Richmond.

Does it really matter which team he is most remembered for? AFL lost a legend and I wouldn't be surprised to see all clubs wearing and armband to honour him.
That's more to the point of what I was getting to. I don't think Hafey will have a Huge impact on Richmond - I think it's more of an AFL loss.

You really don't rate Richmond
I don't either. They are flaky as all hell. They sorta remind me how we were/are. Play really well in patches or even for quarters but when things start going awry, they are only moments away from capitulation. Then some games they are gutsy and determined.

I do know if their best players aren't their best on the day (Cotch, Lids, Martin etc) they are easily beatable by any team in the comp. Shut down cotchin (admittedly a pretty tough job) and Lids (an easier job) and their ball use can be absolutely woeful. I went and watched them against Hawks (who we will also be pox against I am assuming) and the Tigers were Melbourne circa 2013. I also saw them against the Pies (my brother is a Tigers fan) and Cotchin was (for the most part illegally) smothered and thus had no impact leading to an easy win for the pies. Having said that they went at 66% that day which isn't all that bad but it sorta felt worse to me.

Anyway, I think this game is winnable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back