Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I like some stuff that Artie does and it's good that he's found ways to play up the ground but he just doesn't impact games enough and not a lot has changed.

He was dropped after a starting game with 0 disposals last year and then came back for one more starting game ... and had 3 disposals.

8 disposals in 67% time on ground still isn't great vs. GWS.

I know VFL games with winds and open stadiums and less overall disposals means that disposal numbers tend to be a bit lower, but this is his "better form" in the VFL in the last couple of months:

8, 10, 9, 13, 10, 9 10, 11, 12.

All of which would be fine if he was an impact goalkicker, but he's not, kicking 21 goals only in the VFL this year.

Bit surprised so many are calling for his inclusion. I'm glad he played well coming on as a sub and it was arguably fortuitous that he was able to work himself into the game and replace a like-for-like player rather than being an awkward fit ... but he was the sub in the first place replacing one injured player before replacing another, both of who should be fit for this game, and it's not as if his 8 disposals at AFL level significantly changed my view of the body of work at AFL and VFL level over the last couple of years.
They are both low impact players, but Artie is consistently a better pressure player. Also, his 21 goals in 19 compares more favourably to Laiths 9 goals in 23.

Either way one of them should play not both, and I'd prefer we went with a more impactful sub.

They are both low impact players, but Artie is consistently a better pressure player. Also, his 21 goals in 19 compares more favourably to Laiths 9 goals in 23.

Either way one of them should play not both, and I'd prefer we went with a more impactful sub.
AJ just doesn’t have the body size for finals footy. Most of his tackles dont stick, no matter how hard he tries.

There's gotta be better options than both AJ and VDM. I don't trust VDMs body and soft tissue injuries in a final. Surely some combination of West, Harmes, Poulter, Baker etc. can keep both AJ and VDM out.

Yeah, it's got to be West and Harmes for me. Just a no brainer.

There's gotta be better options than both AJ and VDM. I don't trust VDMs body and soft tissue injuries in a final. Surely some combination of West, Harmes, Poulter, Baker etc. can keep both AJ and VDM out.
There is. Harmes and VDM. I'd roll the dice with VDM. They got him off early enough against GWS and if he comes up fit and available I'd play him. I think on the wider MCG his game/role will further spread the defence which will benefit others ... and possibly him.

Harmes I want in there for sure. Jones goes out.....unless VDM doesn't come up.

Not sure where West sits with availability.

There's an additional consideration of the mix of speed, defensive pressure and experience with Macrae, Daniel, West, McSteal and Jones in a mix depending on opponent and conditions.

It's a very tricky selection, but in a good way, as by and large we seem healthy at the right time of year.

Last edited:
Haha Dawks supporters thinking our Geelong game was in dry conditions 🤪

And then referencing their Norf game as evidence of how good they are in the wet.
One poster on the Hawthorn board = "Dawks supporters" 🤪

Whatever...

You do realise that the people who post on Big Footy's club boards are the most biased nuffies you'll find anywhere and they're not representative of your average footy fan.

Oh wait... I didn't realise where I am... :$

Scratch that... :D

Last edited:
Who gives a **** what Hawks supporters on Bigfooty, or the media, are saying about their chances of winning or about how good we are in the wet etc. It makes zero difference to what is actually going to eventuate.
Yeah, this. Good post, Sentinel. It's all just hot air.

Friday night can't come fast enough. Good luck :thumbsu:

I'm just happy we can all get to the MCG for one of the 2 Victorian finals before Grand Final day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you rate the WB's chances of emulating the Demons of 2018 by knocking out the Hawks and Cats in consecutive weeks?
Pretty good chance of that, mate
But every prediction I've made this year has been miles off 🤣

Weird season.

If the Hawks don't fire a shot, then I'll be hoping (1) Dogs, (2) Port, (3) Lions or (4) Cats can stitch up those Sydney and GWS campaigners. F*** the AFL's Sydney pets. Prefer to see real football fans enjoy their hard-earned premiership success instead of plastic franchises receiving gifts.

I'm just happy we can all get to the MCG for one of the 2 Victorian finals before Grand Final day.
Footy (Dogs and Hawks fans in particular) is the winner. Any reasonable person wants to see these 2 teams play against each other in a final. Pity it's the first week but what can ya do

Footy (Dogs and Hawks fans in particular) is the winner. Any reasonable person wants to see these 2 teams play against each other in a final. Pity it's the first week but what can ya do
Yeah, I know what you mean.. But I'm glad though.

If we're only gonna get one final (and be knocked out) then I'd prefer to see Hawks v Dogs at the MCG in front of a record 90k than watch the boys travel interstate for a TV game.

It's going to be awesome. Just hope we don't get blown away in the 1st half. Would love to see the scores level in the 4th quarter, crowd going nuts and may the best team win.

If we're only gonna get one final (and be knocked out) then I'd prefer to see Hawks v Dogs at the MCG in front of a record 90k than watch the boys travel interstate for a TV game.

It's going to be awesome. Just hope we don't get blown away in the 1st half. Would love to see the scores level in the 4th quarter, crowd going nuts and may the best team win.
You should have more faith in your team I don’t think it will be a one sided match

If you love footy it can't come fast enough. The quality of the opponents, the stage, the crowd and the occasion. One of us is going to be disappointed but I'll be glad to be there either way.

And just think one of us will get the chance to p*** either Geelong or Port out of the finals in straight sets...

Make it Geelong, make it Geelong 🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back