Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The team that can apply the most pressure for the longest will win. Our game plan has changed radically since we last played Hawthorn, so it's hard to say what will happen.

I'm quietly confident - not supremely confident.
I feel the same i think.
We were 1-7 then and not playing great.
You had a few different players in.

Id say we like to slow your ball down and get a heap of numbers back to make big contests and get the ball the ground to go wide and run. You would probably be similar to get 1 ons 1s with your talls

Agree that Newcombe is the danger, also Will Day if he plays. He has killed us also the last couple of times we have played them. Meek also a worry if English is not mentally and physically prepared for that matchup, then Dylan Moore and their small forwards will be a difficult matchup, we should not underestimate them at all, they are also playing much better than when we played them last time.

I personally have the Hawks and Dogs in my top 4 form teams, along with Port and Brisbane despite their results (if they were just average on goal accuracy they win against GWS and Collingwood and are second on the ladder).

So it will be a difficult game with each team having different strengths. I do think the Dogs have the better midfield and key position players, Hawks have more pace and zip and can win if we let them get on top in the middle.

I think it will be a close game with the Dogs winning but only if we can be accurate, if we kick like shit for goal then we will regret it and may lose the game on this.

C’mon Jamarra, straighten that set shot up and make this your game.
One difference is that once we had to sub off Clarke in that game Bevo panicked a bit and sent Richards (who had already played two games in midfield) forward rather than just sending Macrae or Harmes forward (or even Baker coming on as sub, rather than on the wing), both whom attended centre bounces in the second half that game.

We're not going to do that again, we'll ensure we have enough speed and agility in the midfield and centre bounces even if it's not our strongest midfielders on paper. Gallagher and Weightman have attended centre bounces last 2 weeks and Macrae hasn't attended a single one in the six games he's played since the bye. We flirted with Macrae in proper midfield from time to time earlier in this season and there were times where it worked okay (e.g. vs St Kilda) but we've been playing much better footy since we gave up on the diea.

Having Richards and Libba both fit will be a big factor. Richards is the perfect type to go head to head with Day. Libba will need to keep checking on Newcombe, and do the selfless blocking of opponents. If we can allow Treloar and Bontempelli to have more freedom, it will go a long way to breaking through the Hawks tight physical style.

Hawks don’t have a single forward we should be worried about apart from Gunston. Their backline is okay, but against Naughton, Marra and Darcy they don’t really stand a chance.

Midfields will be close if they have Day, but Bont will do Bont things.

I can’t understand how we are only $1.80 favourites? Maybe because we have to play our home final at their ground. Anything less than a 40+ win will be disappointing as I want to roll into the Cats game the week after with some momentum.
You just know the AFL will make any final of us v Cats down in Geel

Jordan Lewis having a cry on afl360 about the Jones decision.

Apparently no difference between him and owies....

Libba copped a knock in the first 5 mins last time we played them and somehow came back only to be smashed in the head again later. Expect him to do his ‘smash into you the entire game’ routine on Newcombe.

Can’t see how Will Day gets up, although he has been in pretty poor form the last month.

Jordan Lewis having a cry on afl360 about the Jones decision.

Apparently no difference between him and owies....
Despite saying on Sunday during the call that he thought Cadman's head didn't even hit the ground.

Cry more Hawks boy.

Just heard from fellow dogs fans that Treloar's calf is having scans. True or Bullshit? I feel like the media would have jumped onto this story more if it's was.

Ch 7 news showed him going for scans.

Apparently Hawthorns game plan will just be to kick it to Jone’s opponent (apparently he is bad) and let Bramble kick under no pressure out of the backline as he will turn it over anyway.
Just to be clear this is going by what’s been said on the hawks board 😂 I can guarantee you the coaches know a lot more than basic tactics that bigfooty posters post 😂

But this will be a great game and could go either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to be clear this is going by what’s been said on the hawks board 😂 I can guarantee you the coaches know a lot more than basic tactics that bigfooty posters post 😂

But this will be a great game and could go either way.
I know lol. That is where I read it. Thought it was bait at first, but I think that was a genuine football opinion

In 85 , they beat us twice

The first loss in the Qualifying Final was the first Final I had seen the Bulldogs play in. How proud I was to see the team run out onto the MCG. However, after our 93 point loss, I was a tad disappointed(well, more than a tad). However, after beating norf by 30 in the Semi Final I had high hopes of beating Hawthorn at Waverley the next week in the Prelim. And then there was Leigh Matthews. I've hated him ever since.

When my brother in Phoenix flew out six years ago for my birthday, the only match we could see was the QF, Richmond vs Hawthorn. I had to sit through the game and watch Richmond win.

Hawthorn owes me. And payback will be next Friday evening.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently Hawthorns game plan will just be to kick it to Jone’s opponent (apparently he is bad) and let Bramble kick under no pressure out of the backline as he will turn it over anyway.
My favourite has been the repeated posts confidently proclaiming 'piranhas' (yeah that's what they call them on the Hawks board :tearsofjoy:) like Watson and Ginnivan will kick bags of goals because they're just so dangerous inside 50. Funnily enough, Rhylee West averages the same goals per game as Ginnivan (1.2) and more than Watson (1.1). Weightman also averages more than both of them (1.7).

My favourite has been the repeated posts confidently proclaiming 'piranhas' (yeah that's what they call them on the Hawks board :tearsofjoy:) like Watson and Ginnivan will kick bags of goals because they're just so dangerous inside 50. Funnily enough, Rhylee West averages the same goals per game as Ginnivan (1.2) and more than Watson (1.1). Weightman also averages more than both of them (1.7).
Where the **** have you been?!

The AFL has to consider whether it wants to see the player being tackled doing nothing to brace themselves and just going limp in the tackle. The duty of care goes both ways.

Cadman knew he was caught, had full awareness he was going to ground, so every instinct you have is to protect yourself which he should have.
That's what I was writing too.

The game will well and truly be won and lost in the midfield, if we play like we did against them earlier in the year and allow them quick clean entry into the forward line there will be an issue but if our mids and high forwards atleast break even then we win.
Different this time with Richards in there

What are we thinking matchups will be? I'm thinking something like this.
Gunston - Lobb
Chol - O'Donnell
Dear - Jones
Bruest - Duryea
Moore - Dale
Ginnivan - Bramble

Newcombe - Libba
Day - Richards
Worpel/Maginness up against Bont/Treloar

Frost - Darcy
Sicily - Naughton
Scrimshaw - JUH