Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s great news, Jones and Lobb can account for Chol and Gunston and O’Donnell can take the checkout kid. Will mean we’ve got them for size and contested marking at both ends.

Lots of talk about their mosquito fleet but Ginnivan and Watson have kicked less goals than Bont and Treloar, let alone Weightman and West. Dylan Moore is a genuine gun so we’ll just have to hope he isn’t too damaging.

The MCG suits our tall forwards, lots of space to get each of them out on the lead or isolated 1v1. Against much smaller defenders. They don’t have anyone that can get close to going with Darcy in the air. GWS had to put the best KPD in the comp in Sam Taylor on him and he still kicked 2 in shocking conditions for tall forwards out at Ballarat. the Hawks best bet is Sam Frost, who will be decent in a wrestle but is giving away 15cm. They’ll be shitting bricks every time we go I50.
If Darcy can kick at least three goals a game we are going to be extremely hard to beat. It would mean that the ball is being won in the middle and other players will kick goals also.

What are we thinking matchups will be? I'm thinking something like this.
Gunston - Lobb
Chol - O'Donnell
Dear - Jones
Bruest - Duryea
Moore - Dale
Ginnivan - Bramble

Newcombe - Libba
Day - Richards
Worpel/Maginness up against Bont/Treloar

Frost - Darcy
Sicily - Naughton
Scrimshaw - JUH
Weddle - Weightman
I think more likely Lobb and JOD switch there. Weddle is the key for the Hawks backline. He’s an absolute gun and I reckon he’s the type to step up in finals football if his forward can’t make keep accountable.

I’m still expecting big things from Buss and Sanders but far out I wouldn’t mind having Weddle and Caleb Windsor lining up as alternate picks.

Hawks don’t have a single forward we should be worried about apart from Gunston. Their backline is okay, but against Naughton, Marra and Darcy they don’t really stand a chance.

Midfields will be close if they have Day, but Bont will do Bont things.

I can’t understand how we are only $1.80 favourites? Maybe because we have to play our home final at their ground. Anything less than a 40+ win will be disappointing as I want to roll into the Cats game the week after with some momentum.
Taking the piss surely. I hope the rest of the players and Bevo don't have the same mindset as you. We should have finished top 4 had we not coughed up 2 big leads against 2 other top 4 teams. Both away from home as well. I'll give you Darcy as a big threat who could take the game away from us but we have decent matchups for Naughton and JUH. Scrimshaw and Frost are having career best years. There part of the reason our defence has been rock solid for months now. Darcy is the problem. Our only other tall who can play back outside Sicily (who we don't want playing man on man) is Weddle. Not ideal from our perspective. Could potentially be an option for JUH and Frost takes Darcy simply because he's the biggest defender. Were chasing Barass for a forward line such as yours. If he was already at Hawthorn I wouldn't be concerned but he isn't. Here's to a ripping match. The winner of this one will play in the GF IMO.

I think more likely Lobb and JOD switch there. Weddle is the key for the Hawks backline. He’s an absolute gun and I reckon he’s the type to step up in finals football if his forward can’t make keep accountable.

I’m still expecting big things from Buss and Sanders but far out I wouldn’t mind having Weddle and Caleb Windsor lining up as alternate picks.
Hardwick will take Weightman. Plays on him everytime we play eachother. Has a good record so we won't veer away from that.

The team that can apply the most pressure for the longest will win. Our game plan has changed radically since we last played Hawthorn, so it's hard to say what will happen.

I'm quietly confident - not supremely confident.
That's been our strength since our run started. All ground pressure protecting easy entries into the forward line. It's why the mosquito fleet of ours are having such a big impact. Both teams do it very well so it will come down to who can do it for longer.

My favourite has been the repeated posts confidently proclaiming 'piranhas' (yeah that's what they call them on the Hawks board :tearsofjoy:) like Watson and Ginnivan will kick bags of goals because they're just so dangerous inside 50. Funnily enough, Rhylee West averages the same goals per game as Ginnivan (1.2) and more than Watson (1.1). Weightman also averages more than both of them (1.7).
That's because Ginnivan has kicked more points than goals. Something like 26.27. same as Watson. There goal averages this year would look better if they kicked straight. McDonald and Moore are the deadeye dicks up there.

What are we thinking matchups will be? I'm thinking something like this.
Gunston - Lobb
Chol - O'Donnell
Dear - Jones
Bruest - Duryea
Moore - Dale
Ginnivan - Bramble

Newcombe - Libba
Day - Richards
Worpel/Maginness up against Bont/Treloar

Frost - Darcy
Sicily - Naughton
Scrimshaw - JUH
Weddle - Weightman
I have been thinking about match-ups and to be honest I don't give two hoots about them. We play our game/structure and it should be good enough.

The key thing is how we react when the Hawks play their typical unsociable football when Mitchell inevitably fires them up to go after the man at every opportunity. I feel like we're battle-hardened enough.

Oh, and when the umps pay us a couple of frees because they are playing the man they will cry blue murder and head straight over to the Bulldogs Royal Commision thread to vent. Nothing is more certain

Bring it on.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is going to come down to us wanting Sicily to play accountable vs them wanting him to play as an interceptor.

Naughton his most likely opponent, although Naughton will try and drag him up the ground.

Scrimshaw beat Marra last time we played - Marra has improved a lot since then so I think he can have a big game.

I’ll be thrilled if the matchup is then Frost v Darcy. Frost is a good stopper, but Darcy’s length will worry him.

Hardwick will take Weightman. Plays on him everytime we play eachother. Has a good record so we won't veer away from that.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily is cooked physically, there is a reason he is wearing sleeves, the shoulder is being held together by duct tape. He is still a very smart footballer, West has done a number on him previously and will go to him should he come back in.

That's because Ginnivan has kicked more points than goals. Something like 26.27. same as Watson. There goal averages this year would look better if they kicked straight. McDonald and Moore are the deadeye dicks up there.
You think West hasn’t kicked any points either?

... and Jamarra is averaging the most shots of any player this season - more than the top players in the Coleman - but we don't carry on because we understand his lack of kicking straight is just part of the player he is, even if we do think if he can turn around that aspect he can become one of the game's premier players very quickly.

I have been thinking about match-ups and to be honest I don't give two hoots about them. We play our game/structure and it should be good enough.

The key thing is how we react when the Hawks play their typical unsociable football when Mitchell inevitably fires them up to go after the man at every opportunity. I feel like we're battle-hardened enough.

Oh, and when the umps pay us a couple of frees because they are playing the man they will cry blue murder and head straight over to the Bulldogs Royal Commision thread to vent. Nothing is more certain

Bring it on.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, the days of defensive matchup OS done. Jones happens to position more defensively than Lobb and take whoever key forward is playing out of the goalsquare.

Hence Jones vs Cadman for his fine but Jones vs Hogan for a couple of the goals Hogan kicked.

Honestly, we should just forfeit. They are unbeatable. Save ourselves the trouble now.

Absolutely. After reading those earlier posts, I think we should just stop the finals now and hand them the cup.

All over lads, pack it in. I think they could be better than the Brisbane 01-04 team already, maybe the greatest ever and they certainly come up tops in the complete w***** stakes.

Cornes raised a good point about our forward 50 ruck set-up, Darcy can take all ball ups and throws in and just have Tim roaming the dump kick along the boundary. Is there a structual reason as to why this wouldn't work?

Cornes raised a good point about our forward 50 ruck set-up, Darcy can take all ball ups and throws in and just have Tim roaming the dump kick along the boundary. Is there a structual reason as to why this wouldn't work?
We wouldn't necessarily want an opposition key defender roaming free defensively, especially if English would just push forward anyway if any other one of our players gets the intercept

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back