Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks chatter reminds me a lot of our chat in 2019 when we returned to finals for the first time since 2016.
I remember we were very cocky, confident and from memory had a decent supporter base fly to Sydney (Including me) as we were expecting a repeat of the 2016 Prelim. Only to be absolutely smashed by a bigger, better and mature side.

I honestly hope come next Friday we are able to step up and just take the game away in the first quarter like we did with Geelong and Sydney.

Hawks are playing very good footy though and I don't want to take away from that, it won't be an easy game.

Last edited:
They beat us last time for one reason we had 10 turnovers in our back half that resulted in goals. I think most these were skills errors not under a lot of pressure and I do not see us being that bad in this facet of the game again.

They way I see it is advantage dogs:

In the air all over the ground
Contested marks forward 50
Overall experience and finals experience
Stoppage clearances

Advantage Hawks

Speed
Ball movement
Goal Kicking accuracy

If we win the midfield we win this game if we only lose it marginally I think we still win. If we have a midfield loss like the Power, Lions or Crows games we lose.

From what ive read on this board your supporters saying you cant lose. Fwds too big etc.

I think both supporters are abit too confident in what should be a close game
Well this is our board after all so we can say whatever we like about the game.

The Hawks chatter reminds me a lot of our chat in 2019 when we returned to finals for the first time since 2016.
I remember we were very cocky, confident and from memory had a decent supporter base fly to Sydney (Including me) as we were expecting a repeat of the 2016 Prelim. Only to be absolutely smashed by a bigger, better and mature side.

I honestly hope come next Friday we are able to step up and just take the game away in the first quarter like we did with Geelong and Sydney.

Hawks are playing very good footy though and I don't want to take away from that, it won't be an easy game.
They are playing better footy than we were in 2019, even if their form with their draw is deceiving.

This game will be won and lost on workrate. Which team runs harder and works harder and brings the finals pressure will win.

The big open MCG will suit there runners without a doubt. Yet it will also give our talls plenty of space to get separation. Yet can they kick straight? I just hope our defenders hold their lines a bit and the mids charge back into defence as the hawks run riot with "over the back goals".

Should be a cracker, two in form sides and whoever wins in my opinion will go on a finals run.

We've improved a lot since we lost to hawthorn, and hawthorn has too. Both teams have followed a similar 'getting their shit together' trajectory over the course of the season, culminating in last minute places in the 8

form for both teams earlier in the year is irrelevent.

recent form - we have bigger scalps - geelong at the cattery, sydney in sydney, GWS, and carlton when we were all banged up and they were still top 4. The only finalist we have lost to was port.

hawks beat a banged up carlton, but lost to geelong and GWS - their last 3 games have been cruising easy wins

Im hoping hawks, like their supporters, have been lulled into 'how easy is this footy stuff?' by their last 3 easy wins, and we get the jump on them in the first quarter before they can settle down under the bright lights. Our 1st quarters have been very hot recently

We've improved a lot since we lost to hawthorn, and hawthorn has too. Both teams have followed a similar 'getting their shit together' trajectory over the course of the season, culminating in last minute places in the 8

form for both teams earlier in the year is irrelevent.

recent form - we have bigger scalps - geelong at the cattery, sydney in sydney, GWS, and carlton when we were all banged up and they were still top 4. The only finalist we have lost to was port.

hawks beat a banged up carlton, but lost to geelong and GWS - their last 3 games have been cruising easy wins

Im hoping hawks, like their supporters, have been lulled into 'how easy is this footy stuff?' by their last 3 easy wins, and we get the jump on them in the first quarter before they can settle down under the bright lights. Our 1st quarters have been very hot recently
We are a bit of a tail of 2 dogs. You can tell which one has turned up in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter.

The challenge for all....coaches and players themselves, is to get the rabid dog to turn up for each of the next 4 games.

The nap time dog can FRO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what ive read on this board your supporters saying you cant lose. Fwds too big etc.

I think both supporters are abit too confident in what should be a close game

I reckon your club and players have it covered in the cockiness stakes.

Anyway the best part of this board is it's full of Dogs supporters and generally we're bullish, pardon the pun, about our chances. Why? Because it's OUR board.

Do and say what you like on your board, I'll never see it because I couldn't care less about any other club.

Last edited:
I don't trust VDM or his hammies in a final. So it's McNeil and Jones as the pressure forwards for me.

Just seems the only real outstanding question is; who out of Macrae, Daniel or Gallagher will be the sub?
Personally to me Macrae and Daniel are in pretty good form and I trust them more than Gallagher so I'd have him as sub.
Bevo hasn't really been inclined to have him as the sub though so I think he'd go with Daniel or Macrae as the sub.

My team-
Backs: Jones, JOD, Lobb, Bramble, Dale, Duryea, Freijah
Mids: English, Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Williams, Macrae, Daniel
Fowards: Naughton, Weightman, JUH, Darcy, West, McNeil, Jones
Sub: Gallagher

In: West
Out: Gallagher to Sub

I don't trust VDM or his hammies in a final. So it's McNeil and Jones as the pressure forwards for me.

Just seems the only real outstanding question is; who out of Macrae, Daniel or Gallagher will be the sub?
Personally to me Macrae and Daniel are in pretty good form and I trust them more than Gallagher so I'd have him as sub.
Bevo hasn't really been inclined to have him as the sub though so I think he'd go with Daniel or Macrae as the sub.

My team-

Absolutely zero chance Gallagher is the sub based on what I've seen the past couple of weeks. The kid can play and is not afraid of the contest. Can see him running with Moore on a wing.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

My team-

Macrae as sub to come on midway through the 3rd quater. The pace will be so hot in the first half, can only afford one of CD or Macrae. One break in the chain is a goal in modern footy.

Need Gallagher and his bursts of pace and ability to do things that others can't.

Despite saying on Sunday during the call that he thought Cadman's head didn't even hit the ground.

Cry more Hawks boy.
I hope we Hok a giant loogie on them round one.

Loving all the Hok Ball clips coming up on socials….getting waaaaaaaay ahead of themselves for a team that’s played mostly cooked or shit teams for the last half of the year

Man this thread.

Hawthorn fans have every right to be excited. They’re reminding me A LOT of our 2016 dogs. Young, fun and dangerous.

This is going to be a cracker.

Man this thread.

Hawthorn fans have every right to be excited. They’re reminding me A LOT of our 2016 dogs. Young, fun and dangerous.

This is going to be a cracker.
It's more like our 2015 Dogs, to be honest.

A surprise finals entrant being much better in the second half of the year, but might lose by comping up against a more experienced opponent and still carrying some role players that should get phased out over the coming season or two to truly challenge.

Ignoring the inside information con job, obviously.

Will Luke Breust play next season?

He is currently on 298 games. Like Rohan Smith, he will play his 299th match in an Elimination Final.

No player has ever ended their career on 299 games.

The AFL stuffs it again...

But have they stuffed it? Dogs v Hawks ... both red hot. It's a ratings and attendee dream. Sh1t happens ... but Friday nights on the big stage under the bright lights at the G in a winner takes all is real good sh1t.

Sorry AFLW Doggies, you're taking one for the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back