Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

They beat us last time for one reason we had 10 turnovers in our back half that resulted in goals. I think most these were skills errors not under a lot of pressure and I do not see us being that bad in this facet of the game again.

They way I see it is advantage dogs:

In the air all over the ground
Contested marks forward 50
Overall experience and finals experience
Stoppage clearances

Advantage Hawks

Speed
Ball movement
Goal Kicking accuracy

If we win the midfield we win this game if we only lose it marginally I think we still win. If we have a midfield loss like the Power, Lions or Crows games we lose.
I think both teams have improved since we last played. Ironically we thumped them in our two preseason games, but Mitchell learned a lot from them and took the chocolates in the H&A, time to return serve Bevo.

It’s no doubt Hawks are in great form but it is fair to question both the quality of their wins and how much they have been tested. Yes they have been in quasi elimination games for 2 months now, and that is not easy. But they played the Pies and Blues when they were on their knees, the Tigers, Eagles and North.

Beat Freo and GWS in Launy too. The Crows win away actually impressive considering our capitulation down there.

It’s no doubt Hawks are in great form but it is fair to question both the quality of their wins and how much they have been tested. Yes they have been in quasi elimination games for 2 months now, and that is not easy. But they played the Pies and Blues when they were on their knees, the Tigers, Eagles and North.

Beat Freo and GWS in Launy too. The Crows win away actually impressive considering our capitulation down there.
This would be why so many have them thumping us. Logic 101 🤪

At least Adelaide had their best team for the year in. Can't say the same for their game against them

The Crows were missing Dawson and Rankine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me I think it's pretty simple.... elite pressure from the start of the game is needed and winning the contested ball.

When our tackling and pressure are up we can beat anyone, when it drops off teams walk through us and kick easy goals.

I use Macre as an example last week. His determine to pressure and tackle was back.... its contagious, once someone does it we all do it.

Unfortunately though we have some blokes, Dale is a perfect example of someone who is very inconsistent in their defensive skills, especially the basics like tackling and ground ball pressure. If the players like him can find a balance in this area I have no doubt we can go deep.

Go doggies!

For me I think it's pretty simple.... elite pressure from the start of the game is needed and winning the contested ball.

When our tackling and pressure are up we can beat anyone, when it drops off teams walk through us and kick easy goals.

I use Macre as an example last week. His determine to pressure and tackle was back.... its contagious, once someone does it we all do it.

Unfortunately though we have some blokes, Dale is a perfect example of someone who is very inconsistent in their defensive skills, especially the basics like tackling and ground ball pressure. If the players like him can find a balance in this area I have no doubt we can go deep.

Go doggies!

Dale could never lay a tackle for the rest of his career and still be one of our most important players. His kicking in windy Ballarat was an absolute master class.

Ads appeared to significantly lack his burst speed and power out of a stoppage on the weekend. That makes sense if he’s having calf issues. He’s a consummate professional and won’t leave any stone unturned in his recovery so here’s hoping.
They'll probably give him the whole two weeks off training (aside from essential fitness exercise). It will give him every chance of recovery.

Just hope it can be sustained for 3 more weeks :)

Dale could never lay a tackle for the rest of his career and still be one of our most important players. His kicking in windy Ballarat was an absolute master class.

Thought it was one of his best games, maybe his best, given the conditions. That goal was huge and kicks were sublime.

We also have gotten better at avoiding him getting isolated against good forwards, last year I think he got caught against Greene a few times. That being said he’s improved a lot in that space.

Been a pretty remarkable season after his first month but there was a bit of a team wide malaise at that stage.

Thought it was one of his best games, maybe his best, given the conditions. That goal was huge and kicks were sublime.

We also have gotten better at avoiding him getting isolated against good forwards, last year I think he got caught against Greene a few times. That being said he’s improved a lot in that space.

Been a pretty remarkable season after his first month but there was a bit of a team wide malaise at that stage.
One of the best in season turnarounds I have seen.

Early season couldn't hit a target, poor defensively and poor decision making.

After being made sub became an AA defender and justified in full his long term contract.

Also noticed he is more vocal on the leadership front on ground

Just watching the replay from Sunday, in which Nathan Brown said that this year we are the best at keeping smalls and mediums quiet (general forwards), ranking number 1 at not conceding shots to them. Valuable trait to have going onto this game.

Just watching the replay from Sunday, in which Nathan Brown said that this year we are the best at keeping smalls and mediums quiet (general forwards), ranking number 1 at not conceding shots to them. Valuable trait to have going onto this game.
Big change from previous years where smalls would have a field day against us.

Just perused the Hawks board, they are not overly confident Day will get up. Nothing too outrageous, they are excited to play finals, after not winning one since 2015 years (not sure when they played their last one).

Then one ignorant buffoon states “that the AFL should have folded us during COVID, why should Hawthorn have to bail out a minnow through equalisation.”

Last edited:
Bramble & Dale have really surprised me defensively this year. You would consider both offensive half backs but both do the work on the other side of the ball as well.

Just perused the Hawks board, they are not overly confident Day will get up. Nothing too outrageous, they are excited to play finals, after not wi Ning one for 15 years (not sure when they played their last one).

Then one ignorant buffoon states “that the AFL should have folded us during COVID, why should Hawthorn have to bail out a minnow through equalisation.”

What? They won 3 flags in a row less than 10 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back