Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn peanut on the radio calls in claiming that they have a disadvantage because the dogs play more night games. You can’t make this shit up
Wonder if the radio host responded with, we're happy to play a day game, if we get to play it at Docklands and sell all 55,000 seats to Dogs fans first as it's firstly our home game.

Good idea to have those guys play. Arty probably makes way if West & VDM play in the first final.

A 6 day break isn’t a big deal for us to carry 1 or 2 players into the final.

Arty is playing next week, West is the unlucky one barring injuries, which is tough for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah I posted in the VFL thread, but starting to get a little worried that West might be just on the outer for the team next week. The tactical sub in his last game, a few quiet weeks before that and named on extended benches and now playing VFL 6 days before the final. He wouldn't desperately need the run or anything, only would have missed two weeks from his last game.

He has been really solid most of the year and one of the guys I would want by my side in a final, I really hope we aren't being too cute and leaving him out. I get the roles VDM, Gallagher and McNeil play for the team, but West can do a similar job, especially as McNeil and is just a better footballer all round.

We'll see if he just plays a half or something in the VFL, hopefully he plays a blinder.

He was subbed out because of his jaw.

He was not 'quiet' he was given roles on good defenders to limit their impact.

He is not on the outer and will play next week.

He was listed as tactical on the broadcast and then on the Dogs own injury report stated he was just a tactical sub and then they discovered the crack in his jaw in a scan following the game. I love Westy and praying he is in the team, but I think the signs are there that he is in that 22nd / 23rd / 24th player group under consideration currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only room for 1 of VDM or Arty, or 2/3 of VDM/Arty/McNeil.

I still don’t trust McNeil will stand up in finals, but he has played his part over the past month and we won’t know if he’s turned the corner until the game is on. However, he’s earned his spot to be there.

I’d prefer Arty over VDM purely based on the last game & hamstring concerns, but can also see why VDM would come back in for him.

West for VDM, rest of the same team & Arty sub again. If VDM is in, McNeil would be the ideal sub in place of Arty.

Regardless, looking at the injury list and VFL team named we have great depth and pressure for spots this finals series. Absolutely no excuses not to have the best team structure for what we need.

2016 was special and had a hunger and desire you can't teach or replicate, but on pure talent, this is a better team.

Having the talent up fwd of Jamarra, Sam Darcy, Weightman and Naughton is huge as well as a midfield of English, Bont, Treloar, Richards and Libba.

What's likely different is does this team have the heart and soul, won't give an inch role players like Picken, Biggs, Clay Smith, Dale Morris (more a superstar defender in my eyes than a role player but still) etc who everyone rises around?

But just on pure talent at least, we have a hell of a group for this finals series.

Regardless, looking at the injury list and VFL team named we have great depth and pressure for spots this finals series. Absolutely no excuses not to have the best team structure for what we need.

2016 was special and had a hunger and desire you can't teach or replicate, but on pure talent, this is a better team.

Having the talent up fwd of Jamarra, Sam Darcy, Weightman and Naughton is huge as well as a midfield of English, Bont, Treloar, Richards and Libba.

What's likely different is does this team have the heart and soul, won't give an inch role players like Picken, Biggs, Clay Smith, Dale Morris (more a superstar defender in my eyes than a role player but still) etc who everyone rises around?

But just on pure talent at least, we have a hell of a group for this finals series.

libba, bont, jones, west are always unconditional players? (2 premiership players in there)

macrae and daniel also have premiership medallions and know exactly what it takes

libba, bont, jones, west are always unconditional players? (2 premiership players in there)

macrae and daniel also have premiership medallions and know exactly what it takes

Oh absolutely and not questioning those guys or the squad we have. Just saying that talent won't be the reason we lose, I think this team is incredibly talented and it's just that last 10% that's needed now to go all the way and win the GF like we did in 2016. We will see who emerges over the next few weeks as September heroes and if they can solidify themselves in Bulldogs folklore like the Pickens and Morris' before them. Can't wait.

Anybody have thoughts if our bottom six in 2024 is better or worse then our bottom six of 2016 ?

Anybody have thoughts if our bottom six in 2024 is better or worse then our bottom six of 2016 ?
Off the top of my head...

VDM, A.Jones, Freijah, Gallagher, McNeill and O'Donnell

V

Roberts, Biggs, Mclean, Daniel, Dunkley, Cordy

Note, not saying there aren't good players in the 2016 batch but they were a long way off peaking

I think maybe Odonnell, Freijah and Gallagher have great potential, but 2016 had more mongrel and were more hardened playing group

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Off the top of my head...

VDM, A.Jones, Freijah, Gallagher, McNeill and O'Donnell

V

Roberts, Biggs, Mclean, Daniel, Dunkley, Cordy

Note, not saying there aren't good players in the 2016 batch but they were a long way off peaking

I think maybe Odonnell, Freijah and Gallagher have great potential, but 2016 had more mongrel and were more hardened playing group

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
If that's the 6 v 6 you'd be taking 2016 every single time.

Not sure on the claims 2024 has more talent.

If that's the 6 v 6 you'd be taking 2016 every single time.

Not sure on the claims 2024 has more talent.

It's an interesting comparison, those depth players and last 6-8 probably better in 2016, but I feel like the top end talent is better in 2024.

Ruck + Midfield

2016 - Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Dunkley (first year), Roughead / Boyd

2024 - Bont, Libba, Richards, Treloar, Macrae, English / Darcy

Forward Line

2016 - Cordy, Stringer, Boyd, Dickson, Clay Smith, McLean

2024 - Jamarra, Darcy, Naughton, Weightman, West, VDM (or McNeil)

I think the midfield is just flat out better with better rucks, Bont in his prime as well as AA level Treloar and still incredible Libba and X factor Richards.

The tall forwards while still young are amongst the best in the comp and having Darcy, Marra, Naughty compared to Cordy, Boyd and Stringer I think is a win. Dickson was perfect in his role and a dead eye, Cody is no slouch either.

The backline has been statistically amongst the best in the comp this season but probably more with structure and gameplan in general, have to give 2016 the edge with Morris, Boyd, Wood, Biggs, Hamling, JJ etc playing their roles to perfection (although Liam Jones, Bailey Dale, this version of Lobb, Duryea etc are clicking very nicely.

Tough comparison but I feel like top end elite talent is better in 2024, with all round depth and perfect role players throughout the 22 better in 2016.

Great reply. Leigh Matthews is a great believer whichever side has the best bottom six players wins the flag. Also a great believer in how important having good assistant coaches around the senior coach is just as important

Great reply. Leigh Matthews is a great believer whichever side has the best bottom six players wins the flag. Also a great believer in how important having good assistant coaches around the senior coach is just as important

McNeil and vandameer still worry me going into finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back