Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think anyone actually involved will use it as an excuse if they lose. They’re going to have to win a night game eventually if they want to play a GF.

It’s very weird that they only played one night game over two seasons though, not sure how that scheduling is possible. Even if you don’t want to put them on prime time, there is still one non prime time game available every week. Lazy scheduling by the AFL.

Hopefully the Hawks install lights at new facility in the shithole known as Dingley so they avoid such a disadvantage in the future.

They haven’t played any night games for years because they have been awful.

Won't believe Will Day is out until the squads get named next week. Remember when Bevo said English was out against GWS and then named him? Smokes and mirrors, fun and games.
During last week's On The Couch Jono Brown said you can play with that injury as he had the same injury during his career, it just needs localised painkillers/injections.

I'll believe it when the teams are named next week, until then I reckon he's in.

No one at Hawthorn is claiming it's a disadvantage. Only the media.

We've played twilight games and games at Marvel and it hasn't bothered us one bit.
Pretty sure it came up on SEN from a Hawks supporter, and it was shut down by Derwayne saying you get a home final that you haven’t qualified for.

I expect a few decisions will be made after VFL game today. Would have been great to see McNeil and VDM (if fit) and maybe Gallagher in this in a fight-off.

A few are there with a chance to get a call up.

• Jones has three and looks very dangerous
  • García getting a lot of it as is Sanders but not dominating
  • Harmes worked hard and got better as the game went on - he does look slow though
  • West not having a great game - a few times played a bit for himself but also not getting a lot of it - one cracking goal
  • Baker going OK without shining
  • Poulter got some of it but made some howlers
  • Scott solid like he always is but also didn’t stand out
  • JJ didn’t do much but when he did he looked better than anyone on the ground. He is a star but one game and then a final seems a risk. But with the Hawks strength being small forwards - could be a masterstroke.
  • Clark did a few things early and then was barely sighted.

So ATM - Artie is on top, then Harmes, Sanders, Garcia, JJ, Baker and probably West trailing.

I am a big West fan and love his fight - but didn’t seem there today. Terrible timing to have a soft one. West is too good for the way he played and expected him to come good in second half. Just didn’t look on.

But the whole team was off - hand passing behind players, missing easy options. No shepherding was weird. Tried really hard to lose. But didn’t.

• Coffield very good but probably not in the mix
  • Khamis also very good and effectively won us the game. He also must be hugely respected by Edge who move him to where the play was - playing defence against the wind and attack with the wind. This flexibility - genuine swingman is really valuable - at each end he made a big contribution
  • Buss - probably best on ground - after Darcy Fort probably
  • Cleary quiet
  • Keath very quiet
  • Smith show really good things as a forward. But Fort belted him otherwise. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect a few decisions will be made after VFL game today. Would have been great to see McNeil and VDM (if fit) and maybe Gallagher in this in a fight-off.

A few are there with a chance to get a call up.

• Jones has three and looks very dangerous
  • García getting a lot of it as is Sanders but not dominating
  • Harmes worked hard and got better as the game went on - he does look slow though
  • West not having a great game - a few times played a bit for himself but also not getting a lot of it - one cracking goal
  • Baker going OK without shining
  • Poulter got some of it but made some howlers
  • Scott solid like he always is but also didn’t stand out
  • JJ didn’t do much but when he did he looked better than anyone on the ground. He is a star but one game and then a final seems a risk. But with the Hawks strength being small forwards - could be a masterstroke.
  • Clark did a few things early and then was barely sighted.

So ATM - Artie is on top, then Harmes, Sanders, Garcia, JJ, Baker and probably West trailing.

I am a big West fan and love his fight - but didn’t seem there today. Terrible timing to have a soft one. West is too good for the way he played and expected him to come good in second half. Just didn’t look on.

But the whole team was off - hand passing behind players, missing easy options. No shepherding was weird. Tried really hard to lose. But didn’t.

• Coffield very good but probably not in the mix
  • Khamis also very good and effectively won us the game. He also must be hugely respected by Edge who move him to where the play was - playing defence against the wind and attack with the wind. This flexibility - genuine swingman is really valuable - at each end he made a big contribution
  • Buss - probably best on ground - after Darcy Fort probably
  • Cleary quiet
  • Keath very quiet
  • Smith show really good things as a forward. But Fort belted him otherwise. .
Agree on most said, except for Harmes. Thought he was best on.

If Vandermeer is fit i'd be shocked if he wasn't selected. He's played every game this year (one as an unused sub).
I still have nightmares about his performance against Freo in the elimination final in 2022, but he's a clear selection in the coaches eyes. He went 9 weeks without kicking a single goal as a forward. If that doesn't get him dropped, he's obviously doing what is asked of him, even if that is just repeat sprints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back