Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been our coaching philosophy for the past 5 years.

It doesn't really work to win finals.

You would also be correct. It isn't a sound strategy at all, but Lord has not shown anything this year and Marshall has regressed so the cupboard is bare in terms of tall forwards. Having Sav & a fit George is a point of difference to last year though.

Basically, those who are calling for Dixons head have merit however he is still providing more than any of our other options so where does that leave us?

You would also be correct. It isn't a sound strategy at all, but Lord has not shown anything this year and Marshall has regressed so the cupboard is bare in terms of tall forwards. Having Sav & a fit George is a point of difference to last year though.

Basically, those who are calling for Dixons head have merit however he is still providing more than any of our other options so where does that leave us?

Your last point is very arguable.
Take out his soft kill against the wooden spooners and this is his last 6 games

Carlton - 2 kicks no score
Gold coast - 4 kicks 1.1
Carlton - 1 handpass (injured)
Hawthorn - 7 kicks 1 behind
Geelong - 2 kicks 1 behind
Adelaide - 11 kicks 1.1

Those are McEntee-esque stats. 26 kicks 2.4 in six games lol.

And his direct opponent usually cleans up because he's so slow and can't apply pressure.

Gold coast - 4 kicks 1.1
Adelaide - 11 kicks 1.1

Those are McEntee-esque stats

And his direct opponent usually cleans up because he's so slow and can't apply pressure.

Dixon is ranked 5th in the league in contested marks for an average of 2.15 per game (Marshall averages 0.71 and Lord 0.33).

He also averages 1.38 goals per game compared to Marshall at 1.18 and Lord at 1.00.

Again, I am not saying he is playing well. I am saying he is the best option we have on the list considering our other 2 options he is outperforming.

Whilst Dixon is the human embodiment of a bollard, he is still taking the oppositions no.1 defender each week, and if left unchecked still has the size and strength to kick a bag on his day.

This isn't excusing his performances, but tell me how well Sav & George go on Friday if they were stood by Weitering instead of McGovern or Kemp? He may be a shell of his former self, but as long as he keeps taking the no.1 defender and making a contest which then allows the other forwards to play on the 2nd & 3rd bananas he is doing his job.

surprising to see so much negativity in this thread, I thought dixon played a very strong game against Carlton and agree with this poster.

Seriously the majority of the times one of your other forwards was able to take a mark or get into a dangerous spot is largely due to Dixon's ability to nullify Weitering and/or crash the pack.

just rewatching highlights (clock times)
q1 13m - takes front spot from weitering and crashes pack, burgoyne fumbles easy crumb goal
q1 12m - ratogloea gets a 1v1 isolated on kemp in the f50 whilst dixon is (presumably) keeping weitering occupied deep.
q2 18m - ratugolea leads out into space, leaving dixon/georgiades deep in a 2v2. Charlie takes front space and with strength keeps kemp out of the contest, allow georgiades the opportunity to take the 1 on 1 mark out the back against mcgovern.
q4 16m - probably his best work of the night, reads the ball best, gets in front of 3 carlton defenders blocking them out and stops on his run to let rat float in front for an uncontested mark.
q4 3m - JHF snap falls short - dixon again very strong from front position, should've earned a free for being held - negates weitering in the air and another crumb goal to seal it. If that was in q2 probably gets called a free for dixon.

surprising to see so much negativity in this thread, I thought dixon played a very strong game against Carlton and agree with this poster.

Seriously the majority of the times one of your other forwards was able to take a mark or get into a dangerous spot is largely due to Dixon's ability to nullify Weitering and/or crash the pack.

just rewatching highlights (clock times)
q1 13m - takes front spot from weitering and crashes pack, burgoyne fumbles easy crumb goal
q1 12m - ratogloea gets a 1v1 isolated on kemp in the f50 whilst dixon is (presumably) keeping weitering occupied deep.
q2 18m - ratugolea leads out into space, leaving dixon/georgiades deep in a 2v2. Charlie takes front space and with strength keeps kemp out of the contest, allow georgiades the opportunity to take the 1 on 1 mark out the back against mcgovern.
q4 16m - probably his best work of the night, reads the ball best, gets in front of 3 carlton defenders blocking them out and stops on his run to let rat float in front for an uncontested mark.
q4 3m - JHF snap falls short - dixon again very strong from front position, should've earned a free for being held - negates weitering in the air and another crumb goal to seal it. If that was in q2 probably gets called a free for dixon.

The negativity for Dixon is that he is on big coin for player that just plays a nullifying roll against key defenders. We got plenty of youth in the SANFL that can do that.

If he still expects to be paid that money, Id happily drop him and go after Tex Walker in a short term deal as he offers more for a player of that size and age.

Gold coast - 4 kicks 1.1
Adelaide - 11 kicks 1.1

If you do that to Dixon's contested marks, it's not the best reading either.

Gold coast - 4 kicks 1.1
Adelaide - 11 kicks 1.1

So competery 'n big beardery though m7

Yes it was painful watching him take 6 marks against Richmond. 5 contested, 5 inside 50.

Against Carlton he absolutely did play as a decoy. You admitted as much when you called it a negative tactic.

Yeah the opposition aren't worried about Charlie at all who averages more goals a game than Marshall, Finlayson and Lord this season despite his old man body and having 2nd ruck duties.

He is the best ruck/forward we have and the only one with decoy potential other than Mitch. If you think the oppo aren't worried about Dixon the really, really sad part is they couldn't give two shits what anyone else except Mitch is doing and these guys are laughingly young and mobile. The most painful thing this season has been watching Marshall drop ****ing chest marks when he is 5 metres in the clear.

Your high powered Dixon focused forward microscope is sadly misdirected.
I miss Janus and Thundercloud.

Yes, a decent game against the Richmond, the bottom dwellers, big deal.

Charlie as a decoy is just as good as Jed as a defensive forward at the moment. You say decoy and all I hear is crap, old, injured forward. Same difference.

Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson have had lamentable seasons. You know what you get with Dixon at the moment, a burnt crisp of a player with very limited forward play who is lucky he can play 2nd ruck. Marshall, although looking completely out of sorts has the potential to come back and play at a very high level. I'm not saying he will but he has the capacity to do so. Marshall ain't a 2nd ruck though.

I don't have an agenda. I just call it like I see it. Many to all on here agree with me.

I'm a Marshall fan and if and when he comes back into the team, I will be watching him closely.

As I said, I think I would go Mitch, Esava and the Hornet with the rest of the small forwards.

Hopefully Marshall comes back and clunks marks.

And no matter what is said about Dixon he is playing hard even if it looks like a frog in a blender.

The negativity for Dixon is that he is on big coin for player that just plays a nullifying roll against key defenders. We got plenty of youth in the SANFL that can do that.

If he still expects to be paid that money, Id happily drop him and go after Tex Walker in a short term deal as he offers more for a player of that size and age.
I've attended games in all sorts of weather, through times of success and narrowly missing a wooden spoon, but that is a bridge too far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss Janus and Thundercloud.

Yes, a decent game against the Richmond, the bottom dwellers, big deal.

Charlie as a decoy is just as good as Jed as a defensive forward at the moment. You say decoy and all I hear is crap, old, injured forward. Same difference.

Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson have had lamentable seasons. You know what you get with Dixon at the moment, a burnt crisp of a player with very limited forward play who is lucky he can play 2nd ruck. Marshall, although looking completely out of sorts has the potential to come back and play at a very high level. I'm not saying he will but he has the capacity to do so. Marshall ain't a 2nd ruck though.

I don't have an agenda. I just call it like I see it. Many to all on here agree with me.

I'm a Marshall fan and if and when he comes back into the team, I will be watching him closely.

As I said, I think I would go Mitch, Esava and the Hornet with the rest of the small forwards.

Hopefully Marshall comes back and clunks marks.

And no matter what is said about Dixon he is playing hard even if it looks like a frog in a blender.
LOL you can compare me to who you like and you can try and relegate my opinion to the minority by claiming to be part of the moral majority. You might as well be running for political office with that sort of crap. Keep calling it as you see it and make sure everyone on here knows you don't have an agenda and you will be elected king of bigfooty posters in no time. Rah rah rah! Down with the minority Powerage too! Do you give out badges?

Yep. Old injured forward. Who is our second most potent forward and our best second ruck. Them's the sad facts. He has only played one game as decoy against a strong team and it worked well. It is worth trying again especially given that he is capable of kicking goals if enough attention is not paid to him. Again I stress that is only if we want the best possible finish to the season. However any top 4 finish and a final win makes it almost a certainty Hinkley will see out his contract and I would rather put myself in a blender than see that.

Marshall clunking marks and playing to a high level? You talk about Dixon having a decent game against cellar dwellers. Todd's best game by far was against the VFL level North. He is a prime cut, bloody slab of meat in your language who still can't average more goals a game than his burnt to a crisp colleague. I'm sure most would agree with me that the spectacle of Todd commanding the attention of the oppo's no1 KPD much less being used as a decoy is pure fantasy. I hope and pray he will return to some sort of 2022 form and put his hip and concussion woes behind him. But it ain't happening this year.

Esava was good, yep. Would play him ahead of Dixon. He showed enough to be persevered with up forward. To cemen my minority status I would be sticking with him for the rest of the year to see if he is a long term option up there. JHF is a great forward option but we can't afford to play him there the whole game. He is a too powerful and skilled midfielder. I am all for rotating JHF and Rozee through the forward line as much as possible while leaving Wines to do what he does best.

If Dixon is a cooked frog in a blender what does that make Marshall and Finlayson this season? Sort of the stay puff marshmallow men who give a decent effort if and when the mood strikes them despite being on the right side of 30?

Dixon is ranked 5th in the league in contested marks for an average of 2.15 per game (Marshall averages 0.71 and Lord 0.33).

He also averages 1.38 goals per game compared to Marshall at 1.18 and Lord at 1.00.

Again, I am not saying he is playing well. I am saying he is the best option we have on the list considering our other 2 options he is outperforming.

He averages high numbers of contested marks because he can't lead and has no other way to mark it, and we bomb it on his head 50x a game.

I've been critical of Dixon but in the twilight of his career, he should be able to play the 3rd tall and and ruck.

He's cooked but competing.

The List Management Team will really need to find that player next year when Dixon, I assume, retires.

I don't know if it is Lord but they should play him more in the ruck in the SANFL.

I watched the replay and everyone looked good but I thought as the 3rd tall and 2nd ruck, Dixon was good to very good.

The team was honouring leads but perhaps the weight of not having to carry the team allows Dixon a bit more freedom.

I thought his link up play especially creativity with his hand ball was very impressive.

Dixon is not playing as a decoy. He's playing as a broken down Holden Commodore. ...

What nonsense.

Commodores don't break down.

Well the ones with bad drivers who flog them relentlessly do.

Hey, maybe Ken is the bad driver... Ok I changed my mind, the metaphor works.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back