Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd may acquire legend status in a decade or two. Despite what you might think, he'll wait like many of his superiors and inferiors have had to.

Adam Goodes has been a more consistent footballer (and for longer), played for one club, won two Brownlow's including one from the ruck and is just generally going to be remembered as the better footballer by our generation IMO.

Adam Goodes has been more consistent than Chris Judd? :confused:

Some facts to back up that claim, please. B&F results, Brownlow, AFLCA POTY, AFLMVP, media awards, Champions Data, DT...anything at all.

Good luck.

Judd was arguably the best player in the league between 2003-2006, Ablett nowhere near it.

Oh no you didn't! :eek:

No sane person would have considered Judd a contender for the game's best player in any of these years except for 2006.

2003? OMG WTF

2005? Seriously? He didn't even make the AA team.

Even with the 2004 Brownlow nobody would have had him "arguably the best player in the league" at the time. He was an emerging superstar but averaging one goal a game and <22 touches will never see a player viewed as one of the competition's best player.

Seriously pal, you don't really believe what you have posted?

And? "Judd developed earlier" is even the half of it.

1. Ablett (2009) - 10
2. Judd (2006) - 10
3. Ablett (2010) - 9.5
4. Judd (2004) - 9.5
5. Ablett (2008) - 9.5
6. Ablett (2007) - 9
7. Judd (2011) - 9
8. Ablett (2011) - 9
9. Judd (2010) - 8.5
10. Judd (2009) - 8.5
11. Judd (2005) - 8.5
12. Judd (2008) - 8
13. Judd (2007) - 8
14. Judd (2003) - 7
15. Ablett (2005) - 6.5
16. Ablett (2006) - 6
17. Ablett (2004) - 6
18. Judd (2002) - 6
19. Ablett (2003) - 5
20. Ablett (2002) - 3

Judd in 2004 averaged 21.78 touches a game and 1.04 goals a game and this deserves a 9.5. :eek: :confused:

Ablett in 2007 had 26.68 and 1.2 goals and this is only worth 9. :confused:

Please explain.

Judd 2005 doesn't deserve an 8.5. (22.3 ppg and 0.625 gpg)

Why does Ablett only get a 6.5 for 2005 with 18.125 and 1.21? :confused: How weird.

This thread should have been retitled, "...Greatest midfielder of the 21st C so far". You talk about consistency. What about Matthew Scarlett?

Well under my criteria I mentioned players drafted on or after the year 2000, which perhaps is harsh on Scarlett who was drafted in 98 IIRC.

Scarlett spent his first season in and out of the reserves, wsn't an instant star like Judd

No, he won't. And i'll explain why - the people you are speaking to represent those that do the 'remembering' and almost all with the excption of Carlton fans are politely, aggresively, persistently, rudely, CORRECTLY telling you that not only is Ablett the superior player right this moment, he is also the better of them as a whole.

I don't really care as to who is/has been/will be, the better player, as my interest is in the team and not the individual, but I do know how legends are formed and for now at least, Judd has the better story and the higher profile within and outside the footballing community.
Is he the better player? Maybe not, but his name will be above Ablett Jnr's, when the subject of champions comes up, in years to come.

Close to the most overrated that's for sure. Off the top of my head and without any research I'll name the following players I've seen that are all comfortably ahead of Golden Balls:

Gary Ablett senior
Leigh Matthews
Wayne Carey
Greg Williams (purely as a midfielder miles ahead)
John Platten (great, great player)
Gary Ablett junior
Tony Lockett
Michael Voss
Nathan Buckley

That'll do for starters.

You owe me a new macbook mate. Just spat milk all over the screen reading the rat's name on that list.

Judd is a good player but just that .He is so favoured :thumbsdown:

How many players that voted him the MVP have actually seen him play the majority of his games ..none ... only his team mates... the year he split Pavs face open , he wins an undeserving Brownlow . he rarely marks or kicks goals . He breaks open packs with his speed , thats it.In this years 2 finals he played he was beaten easily and Ratten goes and carries on like a sook about how he was beaten etc and will take it up with the powers of the AFL.

go and think about your thread as you are way OFF .

TEAM players i would have before Judd

Ablett, Swan , Pendlebury, Thomas, Bartel , Kelly, Enright, Pavlich, Fyfe, Kerr, Dal santo , Goddard , Boyd, Murphy, Hodge,Mitchell , Goodes, Boomer,

Why do I even bother reading these things?

MVP don't count.
2nd. in the coaches votes don't count
Went in favourite for the Brownlow doesn't count, but when strategy (guru poster) tells you that Boomer is better then we all best listen.

Funny boy. :):thumbsu:

Oh no you didn't! :eek:

No sane person would have considered Judd a contender for the game's best player in any of these years except for 2006.

2003? OMG WTF

2005? Seriously? He didn't even make the AA team.

Even with the 2004 Brownlow nobody would have had him "arguably the best player in the league" at the time. He was an emerging superstar but averaging one goal a game and <22 touches will never see a player viewed as one of the competition's best player.

Seriously pal, you don't really believe what you have posted?

Judd in 2004 averaged 21.78 touches a game and 1.04 goals a game and this deserves a 9.5. :eek: :confused:

Ablett in 2007 had 26.68 and 1.2 goals and this is only worth 9. :confused:

Please explain.

Judd 2005 doesn't deserve an 8.5. (22.3 ppg and 0.625 gpg)

Why does Ablett only get a 6.5 for 2005 with 18.125 and 1.21? :confused: How weird.

Lies, damned lies and statistics! :rolleyes:

In 2004 West Coast averaged 304 disposals per game, Geelong 383 disposals per game in 2007.

21.78/304 = 7.16% of total disposals
26.68/383 = 6.94% of total disposals
22.3/324 = 6.89% of total disposals

The fact that you compare statistics of last decade to those of today shows how ignorant you are. It was a very different game.
In 2004, Judd was:
14th in the league for total disposals
12th for tackles
3rd for goals amongst the top 20 disposal winners
2nd for clearances
2nd for contested possessions

Judd 2003 was 18.17 and 1.27 goals per game, top 10 for clearances and 11th for contested possessions. 2nd in his team's best and fairest. Ablett came third in 2005. Both probably deserve to be bumped up but Judd had the better season, as reflected in the Brownlow.

I don't really care as to who is/has been/will be, the better player, as my interest is in the team and not the individual, but I do know how legends are formed and for now at least, Judd has the better story and the higher profile within and outside the footballing community.
Is he the better player? Maybe not, but his name will be above Ablett Jnr's, when the subject of champions comes up, in years to come, amongst Carlton supporters.
EFA .
The only way you could be serious and expect any creditability .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my list going by the rule drafted between 2000-2010 (obviously extra weighting for more years played)

Gary Ablett Junior
Chris Judd
Dane Swan
Dean Cox
Luke Hodge
Jimmy Bartel
Nick Riewoldt
Lance Franklin
Brendan Goddard
Shaun Burgoyne
Aaron Sandilands
Sam Mitchell
Nick Dal Santo
Steve Johnson
Leigh Montagna
Travis Cloke
Scott Pendlebury
Joel Selwood
Alan Didak
Nick Maxwell
Nathan Bock
Matthew Boyd
Adam Cooney
Marc Murphy
Sam Fisher
Dale Thomas

Bollocks.
Ben Cousins should be ranked with the Luke Power/Scott West type of player, club champions but not all time greats of the game.

Simon Black has had a more consistent and decorated career then Cousins.
I don't know how to take your views on Judd seriously when you have proven to be an ardent Carlton hater

You've been shutdown already ... but .. really?
Hope this is a troll because if you actually believe this stuff you should get off this forum.

Lies, damned lies and statistics! :rolleyes:

In 2004 West Coast averaged 304 disposals per game, Geelong 383 disposals per game in 2007.

21.78/304 = 7.16% of total disposals
26.68/383 = 6.94% of total disposals
22.3/324 = 6.89% of total disposals

The fact that you compare statistics of last decade to those of today shows how ignorant you are. It was a very different game.

Geelong's 2007 team on average had more possessions per game per player... perhaps not just because the style had changed, but because the players on average were better and were better at winning and maintaining possession through superior skill... Ablett included. % of team possessions is a pretty useless stat to be honest, especially when there's such a gap in the raw numbers.

Geelong's 2007 team on average had more possessions per game per player... perhaps not just because the style had changed, but because the players on average were better and were better at winning and maintaining possession through superior skill... Ablett included. % of team possessions is a pretty useless stat to be honest, especially when there's such a gap in the raw numbers.
How exactly is it useless? It's a far better indicator than raw numbers given the discrepencies.

In 2004 Richmond had the most disposal average of 315. In 2007 Sydney had the least with 324. It's patently obvious there was a shift in how teams played.

Lol at some of the people in this thread.

The people that make PROPER statistical analysis and LOGICAL comparisons with data backup get shut down by those who say "nahs Ablett is better lolz!!!"

Joke!

Without giving any rebuttal or flaming others that agree / disagree I state again - Judd was the most amazing player I have ever seen play the game for his first 100 games.

I think Ablett is ahead of him now and has been for a few years.

GAJ

Daylight

Judd, all other comers.

This is fact. He is a contested ball winner, uncontested user, goal kicker who keeps his feet and has the core strength to bust packs and turn on a dime. Has more strings to his bow than Robin Hood. His CV reads equal to or better than all comers and has x factor to burn. A true champion who deserves the now second highest salary in the AFL.

Not to mention - how do you not love the little guy.

Chris Judd may acquire legend status in a decade or two. Despite what you might think, he'll wait like many of his superiors and inferiors have had to.

Adam Goodes has been a more consistent footballer (and for longer), played for one club, won two Brownlow's including one from the ruck and is just generally going to be remembered as the better footballer by our generation IMO.

Trolololololololol

TEAM players i would have before Judd

Ablett, Swan , Pendlebury, Thomas, Bartel , Kelly, Enright, Pavlich, Fyfe, Kerr, Dal santo , Goddard , Boyd, Murphy, Hodge,Mitchell , Goodes, Boomer,

Do you seriously think these players have been better than Judd?

Nat Fyfe FFS??

I'm ussually all for some good old fashioned Carlton hatin' but some of the posts in this thread are a joke.

And Ablett spent the entirety of 2011 in a shit team.

So did scott thompson and matthew boyd this year. Had career best seasons cos quality players around them were gone. Same with cousins in 00/01 when eags were bad.

It just means teams won't bother targeting him as hard as its more effective not to when versing an average team (bank on ur team getting the ball majority of the time & hurting them with numbers).
The rucks and other mids look to get it to him cos he's the clear standout player so the possession isn't as spread.
Remember GC had a quality midfield which had little trouble getting the ball, its just he was the only 'elite' and they lacked a lot in defence and attack.

No doubt a good effort that few could achieve, but an overstated stat when analysed.

Ablett > Judd.

Judging them on careers, Judd has had a greater period as an elite player. But Ablett's run from 2007-2011 is better than any period Judd has produced. I can't remember a five year stretch as good as Ablett's last five have been.

Judging them on ability then Ablett is a more complete player. Can play as an inside mid, outside mid or forward. Kicks more goals, is an elite kick, can mark overhead and gets more of the footy. Judd is a better clearance/contested ball winner, but it's hardly an area of weakness for Ablett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd - Greatest player of the 21st Century (so far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back