Toast Christensen: The new Diesel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Footywire has him down for 13. Good game though, particularly with defensive pressure and his clean disposal. The number of possessions was fairly irrelevant.

Seriously FS, I want Varcoe to get near 20 possessions because he can, and combined with 20 from Motlop the run into attack is going to be unreal this year.
With the forwards we've got when all available, we'll be top 4.

Seriously FM, I want Varcoe to get near 20 possessions because he can, and combined with 20 from Motlop the run into attack is going to be unreal this year.

Fair enough. But I don't think possessions are anywhere near the most important thing for Varcoe. I don't have the stats but he got the ball a bit in the first half. He probably had only 8 or so possessions from just before his goal until the end of the game. Yet he was hugely important and if he produced that for 4 quarters it would've been a great game. There's also no doubt that his endeavour was great and he showed the physicality that he's at times lacked in the past.

The biggest thing from Monday would be ball use. Same for Motlop too. They were the major culprits for the poor ball use in the first half which really cost us. But both showed really good endeavour and backed themselves in with the ball. If they keep going like that there will be days when they get 25 possessions. If they use it well they'll tear teams to shreds. Of course there will be other days that they don't find the ball as much (say 10 possessions) but if they're using it well and backing themselves they can have a massive impact like Varcoe in the second half despite this.

Seriously FM, I want Varcoe to get near 20 possessions because he can, and combined with 20 from Motlop the run into attack is going to be unreal this year.

not sure how this thread became about Varcoe, it's Bundy as he was simply brilliant in the 2nd half on Monday...I'd be happy to upload his game in case anyone missed it but as for Varcoe, he does not need to gather 20 disposals, would be good but seriously man, the shit he does all over the ground without actually going on the stat sheet is over-looked by you, here's a video of his game from Monday

skip the first 30 seconds as this was for Bay purposes only but look at his pressure, even the plays where he doesn't get a touch...he makes those Hawthorn players over-think things and it causes them to rush their disposal.
Ablett Snr only averaged 15 touches a game but they were all brilliant and game changing and this is what Varcoe possesses.
He doesn't need to get 20 or more but as long as he gives those 2nd/3rd efforts, he's already ahead of many players who average 25 disposals per week due to the brilliance he produces for every one disposal.
The way he keeps his feet is as good as any player at the club, simply brilliant balance and has been pivotal to Geelong in helping them win their recent premierships.

1:30 minute mark...shame he didn't literally pull off Poupolo's head, that would have been a wild scene with all blood and shit just spurting everywhere onto the ground.

1:30 minute mark...shame he didn't literally pull off Poupolo's head, that would have been a wild scene with all blood and shit just spurting everywhere onto the ground.

I'll concede 13 possessions is sufficient for him to have genuine impact on a game unlike most, but if you can read certain plays as he does with the quality of his involvement, it must also be possible for him to find it more often.
To say he's ahead of a player with 25 possessions is just false and irrational and just beating his drum off the back of much less than his teammates.
If he continues to play centrally he's got to get minimum 15 poss, "crumbs that shouldn't be to much to ask", chances are most of those will be given to him to run and carry.

I'm expecting a big game from him on Sunday because the form is there and it's now second game back, no reason why he shouldn't show some more involvement from the get go, I'd be very happy with 18, same as Motlop last week i think that's fair expectation.
He's looking thicker through the legs and trunk or core, his body has now further matured for certain, so I'm looking for more, and I'm confident.
When he's involved he's a weapon, just a little more that's all I'm saying.

[
Ummm........."OK THEN"!

Was posting on my phone, only sent part of the message.

I was trying to say that Trav offers alot more than his stats would suggest. Rooke averaged 11.8 disposals, 0.43 goals a game. Numbers that you're trying to argue "clearly don"t cut it", yet he was clearly in Geelong's best 22 (top 10 in my opinion).

Varcoe's disposal stats are not necessarily indicative of his overall influence on games.​

To say he's ahead of a player with 25 possessions is just false and irrational and just beating his drum off the back of much less than his teammates.

who would you pick?
Broc McLean, Kane Cornes, Jack Redden, Liam Anthony, Andrew Gaff, Callan Ward or Travis Varcoe?

another brilliant performance and again, numbers weren't huge but he just did the right things at the right times and he also kicked 3 goals along with the 12 contested possessions he obtained.

Absolute champion in the making :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was BOG today by the length of Pako Street IMO. Was HUGE when the game needed to be won and I thought was the catalyst for our comeback.
The goal that he missed late would have iced a perfect 3 voter for mine.
Very impressed that when we did come back it was on the back of some of the kids aswell as the veterans, yes Boris and Jimmy and Chappy were huge but so were Selsy (who is young remember), Bundy, Poodle, Caddy and Motters.
Good signs.

I love Bundy. Now that Max & the Ginger Ninja are no longer running around in the blessed hoops, he's become my main Catman. His performance during the dark days of the second quarter (especially) were another significant step forward, but no real surprise.

Wears his love for the club as much on his sleeve as That Tatt, and won me in 2011 when he effectively said that playing for Geelong was a greater honour than any other prize (after being shockingly overlooked for a Rising Star nomination).

Brave, bold & intelligent, and has already shown a great capacity to learn from his mistakes. In his first season, I predicted that he'll end up bringing a Brownlow home to The Pivot, and nothing in his development has changed that call one iota.

It's well worth taking a listen to his post game interview on the ABC Grandstand site. It was balanced, intelligent and quite humorous, and highlighted what a very special young man we have in our ranks. Another future Geelong legend is wearing our #28, and he's already turning quite a few heads of opposition supporters as well.

No longer surprised the footy shows did not mention Bundy's performance on the weekend, as is quite often the case.
Seems as though they prefer to focus on the likes of Bartel Selwood or Chapman but here's his performance from Sunday's match in it's entirety

(19 disposals/12 contested, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50's, 4 marks, 4 tackles & 3.2 goals)

David, his game could have been better.
There was a bunch of times in the first half where he tried to break tackles.
But North were on the ball and menacing with the tackle.

Against a lesser side he would have smashed them.
Who knows, give it another year and maybe he'll break a few more of those.

Give it another year mate and we will be talking about one of the better clearance players in the comp. He has the potential to be a 25 disposal + 2 goal a game midfielder IMO with a sliding scale either way (more touches less goals and vice versa).
Is a star of our side now, will be a star of the AFL in short time.

Yes...North were good. And yes, his game could have been better. You could say the same about the rest of them too...Having watched the game three times ( I need my footy fix ) I still think he was our best player on the day.

And yes...he will get better....

Yes. i wasn't saying he wasn't great.
I missed a word or 2.
"Amazingly, his game could have been even better"
:)

He was trying to hurt them early and getting nowhere.
Loves to do his work inside.

No longer surprised the footy shows did not mention Bundy's performance on the weekend, as is quite often the case.
Seems as though they prefer to focus on the likes of Bartel Selwood or Chapman but here's his performance from Sunday's match in it's entirety

(19 disposals/12 contested, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50's, 4 marks, 4 tackles & 3.2 goals)

These match edits are a fantastic resource for post-match micro-analysis of individual performances. It's a lot to ask I know - probably too much - but is it at all possible that this kind of thing could become a weekly occurrence? The Mitch Brown vid really helped raise the standard of discussion after his performance against North Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back