Toast Christensen: The new Diesel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And whilst on that theme and picking up your heading - Watts could be the new desal. A huge investment, but looks like a wasted and unnecessary dud.
I could derail this thread completely and get involved in a debate with you about this (more on the desal plant rather than Watts) but it is just easier to say "well played sir, well played"

misleading?
Not at all, Varcoe has always averaged those kind of numbers but he provides so much more which you seem to have ignored throughout most of his career...things like drawing two opponents to a contest which allows Selwood, Johnson or Kelly to find space, giving chase to a player with the ball even though it appears to be a lost cause, his one handed taps and toe pokes which makes something out of nothing or the ability to consistently do something brilliant when Geelong desperately needs it.

The only difference, is he's now fully fit and seems to be over his earlier shoulder (and recent foot) injuries and can finally become the brilliant footballer the Geelong hierarchy thought he may become.

You were saying Bundys' 18 possessions probably weren't sufficient for what was percieved as a great game, what I was meaning was alot had Varcoe in their best 6 but he only had 13 possessions.
So with 18 why wouldn't he be in consideration if the other guy is with his 13? Get my point?
He's not the only guy doing knockons and toe pokes either!

Don't get me wrong though, I was very happy with Travis....if he could only get the ball 5 or 6 times more it would be great, but it's was only round 1.

You were saying Bundys' 18 possessions probably weren't sufficient for what was percieved as a great game, what I was meaning was alot had Varcoe in their best 6 but he only had 13 possessions.
So with 18 why wouldn't he be in consideration if the other guy is with his 13? Get my point?
He's not the only guy doing knockons and toe pokes either!

Don't get me wrong though, I was very happy with Travis....if he could only get the ball 5 or 6 times more it would be great, but it's was only round 1.

You gotta remember though with Tav was that was his second game (and first FULL game) since the 2011 Grand Final.
Considering that he was HUGE.

In the Travs 13 vs Bundys 18 I had both in my top 6, both were immense in helping us over the line (I had Selwood, Chappy, Smedts and Mackie as the others).

You gotta remember though with Tav was that was his second game (and first FULL game) since the 2011 Grand Final.
Considering that he was HUGE.

In the Travs 13 vs Bundys 18 I had both in my top 6, both were immense in helping us over the line (I had Selwood, Chappy, Smedts and Mackie as the others).

Take your point about the full game....true!
That's one of the best 13 touch games I've seen, but he did it at the right time, I'd just like to see him pick up around the 20 poss mark and I think he will.

Taylor Hunt goes under the radar, 22 poss 96DT points, the young guy is so underrated he's hardly ever spoken about but he's as tough as nuts.

That's one of the best 13 touch games I've seen, but he did it at the right time, I'd just like to see him pick up around the 20 poss mark and I think he will.

Taylor Hunt goes under the radar, 22 poss 96DT points, the young guy is so underrated he's hardly ever spoken about but he's as tough as nuts.

If Trav can become a 20 touch a game player (which he very well should) he will be a devastating player based on yesterdays form.
Imagine Travis and Motlop both getting 7-10 more touches a game in that kind of form!
Also spot on with Poodle, I thought he was magnificent and has been for over 12 months now, really slotted into our best 18 and as you said, very under-rated.

I doubt we're ever going to see him at the 20 possession standard, what we've seen in the first 100 games is what we're going to get.
Even yesterday, we get that brilliant goal just before 1/2 time, and then in the 3rd 1/4, while the game's being won, he completely disappears, not a single possession.
With Varcoe, it's WYSIWYG, just take it.

If Trav can become a 20 touch a game player (which he very well should) he will be a devastating player based on yesterdays form.
Imagine Travis and Motlop both getting 7-10 more touches a game in that kind of form!
Also spot on with Poodle, I thought he was magnificent and has been for over 12 months now, really slotted into our best 18 and as you said, very under-rated.

For a young bloke thought Josh Caddy looked massive, he's going to be a weapon in the centre with big Johno in there as well with Joel.
How do we fit them all in?

Fred hope your wrong about Varcoe, cause in most games you won't look to flash with those numbers. I think he's different this year, he should rack up plenty against North if the confidence is where it should be.

If Trav could hover between 15 to 20, that would be great. He is a bit like Rioli in that he does so much in a play and creates so much. Creates a goal where 15 seconds ago we were hanging on for grim life. Then looks buggered from all the sprinting and dodging and weaving. :D

For a young bloke thought Josh Caddy looked massive, he's going to be a weapon in the centre with big Johno in there as well with Joel.
How do we fit them all in?

Fred hope your wrong about Varcoe, cause in most games you won't look to flash with those numbers. I think he's different this year, he should rack up plenty against North if the confidence is where it should be.

I'm bullish about Caddy, I think he will really shine at the Cats and become a damn good player, about fitting them all in, can we lobby the AFL to give us a 12 man bench?
And fred, I reckon you're underselling Varcoe a bit, I still remember games where he would collect 30 touches from half back (GC 2011 at KP I think?) so he CAN do it and this was his first game in over 12 months and got very close, in games against lesser sides with less pressure I think you'll see him go past 20 touches regularly.

If Trav could hover between 15 to 20, that would be great. He is a bit like Rioli in that he does so much in a play and creates so much. Creates a goal where 15 seconds ago we were hanging on for grim life. Then looks buggered from all the sprinting and dodging and weaving. :D
And fred, I reckon you're underselling Varcoe a bit, I still remember games where he would collect 30 touches from half back (GC 2011 at KP I think?) so he CAN do it and this was his first game in over 12 months and got very close, in games against lesser sides with less pressure I think you'll see him go past 20 touches regularly.

Well, in his 100 games he's got 30 possessions once, and never over 24 any other time, and he's averaged about 13-14, so I just think it's unlikely that we're going to see him suddenly jump his average to 20.
However, if he does, and does it with his present style........

Varcoe was top 5 yesterday..the majority of posters thought so......so whats the issue? If he gets 13 possessions and has that sort of influence over the game, thats fine by me. People are wayyyy to stats conscious these days.

His goal just before half time ( which was similar to his GF effort...running from half back before goaling from the end of the square) was inspirational.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, in his 100 games he's got 30 possessions once, and never over 24 any other time, and he's averaged about 13-14, so I just think it's unlikely that we're going to see him suddenly jump his average to 20.
However, if he does, and does it with his present style........

Tell me about Gary Abletts disposal record early in his career vs now :p

He has gone from a forward pocket/flanker to a winger/half back, more disposals comes with the roll IMO.

Tell me about Gary Abletts disposal record early in his career vs now :p

He has gone from a forward pocket/flanker to a winger/half back, more disposals comes with the roll IMO.

You may be right, it hasn't happened yet, but it may do and if so he'll be a much better player.
I don't think it took GAJ 100+ games before he started racking 'em up, but.;)

Like David the Cat said though, who cares when he is so influential regardless of numbers.

Not disagreeing there, it wasn't me who brought up the numbers, it was others who suggested he would be better if they improve, all I said is I don't think it's likely to happen, and with him we take what we get - inspirational flashes of brilliance, interspersed with disappearing acts of variable length; such as yesterday's nil-possession 3rd quarter after the brilliant late 2nd 1/4 goal.
As the coach has become fond of saying these days, it is what it is.

Not disagreeing there, it wasn't me who brought up the numbers, it was others who suggested he would be better if they improve, all I said is I don't think it's likely to happen, and with him we take what we get - inspirational flashes of brilliance, interspersed with disappearing acts of variable length; such as yesterday's nil-possession 3rd quarter after the brilliant late 2nd 1/4 goal.
With that description just call him Cyril and he'll be a god among mortals.

With that description just call him Cyril and he'll be a god among mortals.

Well, Varcoe's inspirational cameos are truly inspirational because they inspire his team-mates, and Cyril's just inspire hyperbole from Bruce.:D
Fair dinkum though, Rioli does some brilliant things, but Varcoe's occasional great plays are on another level, particularly his long-run multi-possession ones.

Well, Varcoe's inspirational cameos are truly inspirational because they inspire his team-mates, and Cyril's just inspire hyperbole from Bruce.:D
Fair dinkum though, Rioli does some brilliant things, but Varcoe's occasional great plays are on another level, particularly his long-run multi-possession ones.

Yep that one in the 2011 grand final comes to mind. What a cracking play by TV, just never gave up, even though it did look a little nonchalant.

Bundy got a boot to the head and was on the bench getting assessed for some time on Monday. Did well to come back so well in the 2nd half.

images

In all seriousness, Varcoe's stamina is on a different planet to St.Thyril the Delicious.

I doubt we're ever going to see him at the 20 possession standard, what we've seen in the first 100 games is what we're going to get.
Even yesterday, we get that brilliant goal just before 1/2 time, and then in the 3rd 1/4, while the game's being won, he completely disappears, not a single possession.
With Varcoe, it's WYSIWYG, just take it.

I don't understand that Fred, with that kind of thinking the club would have said to Ablett in late 2006 "oh well, you are what you are, you've played 100 games now, what you see is what we're going to get". Quite correctly neither the club nor the player accepted that as some kind of fait accompli and the rest is history. Why can't Varcoe improve further? I think his best football is ahead of him, like Hawkins we're only just starting to see what he's capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back