News Clarko in strife again

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Statement
The AFL this week made inquiries into an incident involving North Melbourne Senior Coach Alastair Clarkson during Saturday afternoon’s match in Hobart.

The AFL was made aware of the alleged comments by a match day official post-game who heard the comments, with the AFLIU following up the report.

Clarkson has admitted to loudly swearing and using inappropriate language while standing near the umpires and officials’ bench in response to an umpiring decision during the third quarter.

After talking to match officials, the AFL was not able to be comfortably satisfied that Clarkson’s swearing was directed towards a specific person or persons and in particular an AFL match official or officials and as such no finding of a breach of AFL Rules has been made.

Honesty is a good thing, as is being direct. But leadership is about adjusting your style and approach for your audience.

It's about getting the best out of people, not about just blurting out your truth.

At this stage, it's starting to feel like Clarkson doesn't have the ability to adapt his style. He's going to get left behind if he doesn't.
I suppose his track record doesn’t help - but I can envisage him on the bench turning to one of his staff and yelling ‘what a ****ing campaigner’ - rather than trying to eyeball the ump and saying it - and I think there IS difference.

It would be a bad look for any coach worthy of fine/sanctions. It's doubly bad for Clarko given the track record, particularly the event that happen with him at kids footy.

The reality is Clarko is on notice to kerb that sort of behaviour already.

I suppose his track record doesn’t help - but I can envisage him on the bench turning to one of his staff and yelling ‘what a ****ing campaigner’ - rather than trying to eyeball the ump and saying it - and I think there IS difference.

Probably. But I'm struggling to relate that to what was said earlier about being a warrior.

Probably. But I'm struggling to relate that to what was said earlier about being a warrior.
He’s a man of his convictions, rightly or wrongly. Putting aside ‘allegations’ and the homophobic attribution that can be argued fairly convincingly - I just see him as someone who doesn’t change his spots for others.

Regrettably, this attracts the heat but I admire that he wears his heart on his sleeve - and no, that's no defence for behaving like a rock ape but so far, he’s really only got one serious strike - and that was the U9s game.

- The term **** smoker is not necessarily homophobic - it can mean ‘crawler’ - the AFL got that wrong.

- There’s no proven allegation of racist behaviour, and

- We don’t know for sure if he directed abuse directly at the Ump.

ATM he’s mainly just a dog with a bad name….which some people feel the need to kick.

He’s a man of his convictions, rightly or wrongly. Putting aside ‘allegations’ and the homophobic attribution that can be argued fairly convincingly - I just see him as someone who doesn’t change his spots for others.

So a washed up old guy that the world has left behind?

Everyone needs to modify their behaviours.

Quite a few in here who should be feeling manifestly stupid.

If you really believe he was dobbed in and jt went this far cos he said a naughty word to himself, you might be the stupid one.

He’s given a childish excuse and they’ve fell for it. It’s becoming extremely concerning how AFL refuse to punish this little cretin just because they are scared of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regrettably, this attracts the heat but I admire that he wears his heart on his sleeve - and no, that's no defence for behaving like a rock ape but so far, he’s really only got one serious strike - and that was the U9s game.

- The term **** smoker is not necessarily homophobic - it can mean ‘crawler’ - the AFL got that wrong.

- There’s no proven allegation of racist behaviour, and

- We don’t know for sure if he directed abuse directly at the Ump.

ATM he’s mainly just a dog with a bad name….which some people feel the need to kick.
Except that Clarkson admitted he said it, agrees it has homophobic or misogynistic connotations and accepted the punishment for it.

So a washed up old guy that the world has left behind?

Everyone needs to modify their behaviours.
I’m not convinced he's washed up - and every Sat night in King street says the world is angry as he is.

I’m sure he is trying, it’s not an easy life leaving dents everywhere you go - but that ole dog is actually not as bad as people want him to be. 😉

If you really believe he was dobbed in and jt went this far cos he said a naughty word to himself, you might be the stupid one.

He’s given a childish excuse and they’ve fell for it. It’s becoming extremely concerning how AFL refuse to punish this little cretin just because they are scared of him.
I don’t agree with your view. You can invent whatever straw house you want to - but if I were you I’d be asking myself why it's so important to you.

I don’t agree with your view. You can invent whatever straw house you want to - but if I were you I’d be asking myself why it's so important to you.

Because I believe poor behaviour should be punished, and Clarkson has had favourable decisions lately, I suspect because the AFL is scared of him.

Clarksons excuse was beyond straw house, it was something a child would say.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Clarko in strife again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back