Clarkson claims the Hawks will get better - Clarkson is wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jealousy. After Hawthorn and Richmond changed coaches in late 2004, Hawthorn was widely ridiculed for their picks, 12 months on Hawthorn was criticised for trading Thompson and Hay. Richmond finished 9th. Was widely tipped to finish in the 8 in 2007. In 2007, Richmond has been a disaster, 1 win and a draw. Who is doing better?

check.mate

Vanders and Clarke provide leadership and spirit. Williams will slot in fine although he might edge Dixon out. Add Boyle and Osbourne and we should be pretty well set up for finals.

HF: McGlynn, Franklin, Osbourne
F: Williams, Roughead, Boyle

IN
Williams, Boyle, Osbourne

Out
Dixon, Thorp

You cant play 23

Williams will benefit them for sure. His biggest weakness is that he is soft, and will benefit from having some big bodies around him.

Clarke and Vandenberg though? Shit - I really wouldn't want them back. Clarke especially does not suit their game. I said at the time he got injured - and standby it - that it benefitted the Hawks.

Possible they can find spots for these guys, but it definitely will not make them better. They will be lucky to break even on their inclusions.

Williams and Boyle will be good additions to the forward line when they come back.

Vandenberg is probably in his last couple of years and I think Clarke is gawn at the end of the year.

Hardly.

Discussion about ins and outs for the Hawks (or for any other side) is as boring as...

No.

Boring as is watching the poor excuse of a team you support capitulate every week.

No wonder I spent most of the second half in the bar last week, because you were no better than Box Hill.

And you're not getting any better...

Anytime you can increase the depth of your playing list will make a team better.

Vandenberg, Boyle, Williams and Clarke all add something different to the team. Vandenberg's leadership, Boyle's ability to stretch defences, Williams' is too fast for a tall back and too strong for a small defender and Clarke has an engine that makes him more valuable later in a game.

All these players add depth and flexibility to our team. Clarkson knows what he is doing, which is why he is coaching The Hawks and we are on Big Footy.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jealousy. After Hawthorn and Richmond changed coaches in late 2004, Hawthorn was widely ridiculed for their picks, 12 months on Hawthorn was criticised for trading Thompson and Hay. Richmond finished 9th. Was widely tipped to finish in the 8 in 2007. In 2007, Richmond has been a disaster, 1 win and a draw. Who is doing better?

Well, you were criticised about deliberately making the team uncompetitive, not about getting a lot of good picks. When your board member consistently said on radio that he didn't want the hawks to win and as long as you don't finish last and managed to get priority picks then it was mission accomplished then it is pretty obvious what the agenda was and why the priority pick system was changed.

The priority picks are not why Hawthorn are where they are, nor is it because of the trading players, it has been good recruiting outside those picks gained that have been wisely used, getting the right type of players and getting success from later round picks, rookies and the like. You could have achieved a similar result without deliberately bottoming out because your recruitment policy was sound.

We 'bottomed out' because we were crap - i wasn't deliberate. Just because clarkson chose to build a solid foundation by giving young players gametime rather then finish 9th over 15th (and if you look the hawks too hd a lot of 9th finishes before 2004) its not really bottoming out deliberately.

We are now in a position where we need finals experience to take an unexpected shot at the flag those guys, whether they will be at the hawks in 2-3 years time or not will be like gold for us.

I like what clarkson is saying because It shows he and they realise a shot at the flag is not impossible. They aren't putting any limitations on themselves.

Oh and the Hawthorn football club is about to give the St Kilda football club a lesson on how not to 'blow it' regardless of the result on saturday

PS the posters argument assume hawks will have no more injuries this year - I'd be very happy with that

We 'bottomed out' because we were crap - i wasn't deliberate. Just because clarkson chose to build a solid foundation by giving young players gametime rather then finish 9th over 15th (and if you look the hawks too hd a lot of 9th finishes before 2004) its not really bottoming out deliberately.

We are now in a position where we need finals experience to take an unexpected shot at the flag those guys, whether they will be at the hawks in 2-3 years time or not will be like gold for us.

I like what clarkson is saying because It shows he and they realise a shot at the flag is not impossible. They aren't putting any limitations on themselves.

Oh and the Hawthorn football club is about to give the St Kilda football club a lesson on how not to 'blow it' regardless of the result on saturday

PS the posters argument assume hawks will have no more injuries this year - I'd be very happy with that

That's true - I have made that assumption. We seem to have had a very good run with injuries this year (is this my perception or is it fact?). As long as we don't get any injuries in the back half of the ground we'll have the depth to cover it.

Vandenberg/Clarke are no use without 4-5 weeks getting match fit. Look at Joel Smith, he had 2 games at BH, and took another 4 before being fit enough to play more than 60% of the game. The game he did he was BOG against Carlton.

Vanders at this rate will be a good bench player come round 20-21, and a good contributer rest of the year, will be nowhere near his best this year.

Clarke will struggle to get back in, he may be a bench player in finals, if he performs well at BH in the later rounds.

Jacobs is neither here or there atm.

Boyle, Williams, Osborne straight back in.

Williams will be handy if he's fit, Boyle is the best returnee, as he's still match fit and the best performed.

I agree, that names on paper coming back from injury look better as they are set for return than their actual performances coming back from injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson claims the Hawks will get better - Clarkson is wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back