Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is that?

You could easily argue that last season was an aberration and with a full preseason, Oliver will be back to being an AA calibre midfielder.

The only way Geelong get him for peanuts (early 2nd rounder) will be if they pay a sizeable chunk of his contract.
The entire thing youd imagine to get it even close to an early 2nd rounder

Geelong now have skin in the game with all the media articles.

Imagine how they would look if they can’t get the deal done.

If the deal fails, no great loss.

Bailey Smith has been our sole target all along and he alone will ensure we remain fairly competitive. Now have two young line breakers and the load on Dangerfield can be alleviated 👍

Not half as bad as D’s would be stuck with a guy for six years on a multi million $ contract who doesn’t want to be there after having been shopped around behind his back.

You'd imagine for Oliver to get to the Cats some players will need to be traded.

The likes of Clark, Knevitt, Bowes wont be seeing games anytime soon unless Smith and Oliver implode at some stage next year (not out of the realms).

Don't think they have a heap of value though.
I would imagine all of Danger, Blicavs and Duncan will be managed through 2025 - perhaps someone like Danger more up forward and Blicavs down back immediately opens up two more midfield roles.

Plenty of opportunity still for young mids to come through. Smith and Oliver will help protect them from needing to be the main man so early.

Yeah but Geelong have them over an absolute barrel and Geelong love having the whip hand on trades.

He is clearly not going back there so they are going to take full advantage.

That seems to be the way it's heading.

Melbourne's choice is either keep a disgruntled, disliked player dripping in red flags on a massive 6 year deal. Or accept whatever paltry deal Geelong offer.

Given his recent indiscretions I can't see Geelong panicking and upping their offer late. They'd know any deal would be a massive risk to them even if Melbourne are paying a heap of his salary.

If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be absolutely livid if my club got bent over and lost a 4 time BnF winner and 3 time AA midfielder for nothing. If Geelong's best offer is a 2nd round pick without taking on Oliver's salary, I'd rather tell them to shove it and let Oliver either pull his socks up or languish in the 2's.

I felt the same way during the drug saga when we had opposition clubs trying to feast on the carcass of our club.

Bont had 25 and kicked 3 goals don't think that was why you won,

Clayton is overweight now and doesn't have the tank to do both
yeah, and he had 14 and 2 at half time before Oliver went to him. Just to refresh your memory, Oliver had 33 and the 3 quarter time sealer. Not to mention the most tackles on the ground. He's a defensive midfielder. Mich0 has no idea what he's talking about.

If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be absolutely livid if my club got bent over and lost a 4 time BnF winner and 3 time AA midfielder for nothing. If Geelong's best offer is a 2nd round pick without taking on Oliver's salary, I'd rather tell them to shove it and let Oliver either pull his socks up or languish in the 2's.

It's Melbourne's right to hold him to his contract. But when something causing major issues it's normally best to move on from it.

I felt the same way during the drug saga when we had opposition clubs trying to feast on the carcass of our club.

How'd that work out for you?

yeah, and he had 14 and 2 at half time before Oliver went to him. Just to refresh your memory, Oliver had 33 and the 3 quarter time sealer. Not to mention the most tackles on the ground. He's a defensive midfielder. Mich0 has no idea what he's talking about.
So he had 11 in a goal in the 2nd half not exactly stopping much when you consider that you dominated the last quarter entirely anyway, What have his offensive stats got to do with his defensive workrate? Libba is a high tackle player as well but is ordinary in transition due to lack of speed/conditioning the 2 aren't mutually exclusive

I would imagine all of Danger, Blicavs and Duncan will be managed through 2025 - perhaps someone like Danger more up forward and Blicavs down back immediately opens up two more midfield roles.

Plenty of opportunity still for young mids to come through. Smith and Oliver will help protect them from needing to be the main man so early.

To be honest Blicavs and Duncan weren't even two I was considering to be midfielders.

Oliver, Smith, Holmes, Danger, Bruhn, Guthrie (?), Dempsey (?).

Not sure 'so early' is the term I'd use for any of the names I mentioned. Assuming none see midfield time (or decent midfield time) in 2025, Clark will turn 22 in 2026, Knevitt will be 23 before the season start and Bowes will be 28. Only Clark could be considered young and inexperienced enough to need 'protecting' now, and he is at the bottom of the pack.

Not saying they will move on, but would have to be asking themselves the question now surely.

I'm more angry at Tim Lamb for chasing Houston when we're clearly a rebuilding club. I guess it's just an extension of the club really having no idea where the club is at.

The AFL has screwed melbourne over so much in the last couple of years. Stealing Mac Andrew away from us, making us pay some of Brayshaw's medically retired contract and then deciding not to implement the trading 2 years of future picks which every club was wanting and waiting for. This meant that we couldn't trade Petracca and Oliver and do a proper rebuild. It's stuffed us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he had 11 in a goal in the 2nd half not exactly stopping much when you consider that you dominated the last quarter entirely anyway, What have his offensive stats got to do with his defensive workrate? Libba is a high tackle player as well but is ordinary in transition due to lack of speed/conditioning the 2 aren't mutually exclusive
Oliver at his peak is one of the fastest at the club. You're comparing a plodder with a guy who is lightning fast but grossly out of shape due to his lack of professionalism in 1 year. Dangerfield would be slow too if he got up to what Clarry was up to. :)

Do you remember Geelong missing out of Boak, Frawley and Hopper? Most people don't.

Geelong will have what they're willing to pay and if the deal doesn't get done for that they'll move on.

How does a club like Geelong have over 2 million spare in the cap? Would love to see their books
Didn't u hear... The big fella... Tom Hawkins has retired.
Along with the Red Baron/The Flash/Fanta Pants Gary Rohan has hung them up as well.
Don't forget Mitch Duncan has come OOC. He just signed for base wages to get 300 games as he's 3 off.
So there is pretty much your 2 u r looking for... or pretty close to it.
Cheers Bud

Didn't u hear... The big fella... Tom Hawkins has retired.
Along with the Red Baron/The Flash/Fanta Pants Gary Rohan has hung them up as well.
Don't forget Mitch Duncan has come OOC. He just signed for base wages to get 300 games as he's 3 off.
So there is pretty much your 2 u r looking for... or pretty close to it.
Cheers Bud
Hawkins was on a 1 year contract and is 36
Rohan 1 year contract 33

Not exactly losing much there and they will need their list spots replaced regardless

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back