Opinion Cloke Megathread 2 - Plan B's, Contract Talks on hold till end of season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new on the Cloke front.

Collingwood calling the Cloke camps bluff.

Sticky point is the 5th year of the contact, pies want it performance based, Cloke camp do not.

Realistically, its becoming childish. We should just offer the $$$$$ we already have over 5 yrs unconditional. It will still work out cheap for us as he will be veterans listed by then.

With offers from Freo and Melb, it seems highly unlikely Trav will leave.

He will stay .

Four years is already a risk as it is, a fifth year with a retainer of 500k could be significant, let alone 700k or more. That's a lot of money and the cap isn't a magic pudding.

Sticky point is the 5th year of the contact, pies want it performance based, Cloke camp do not.

Realistically, its becoming childish. We should just offer the $$$$$ we already have over 5 yrs unconditional. It will still work out cheap for us as he will be veterans listed by then.

He will stay .

100K off per year when he hits 30, that wont make it cheap.

He simply isn't worth what we're willing to give him, and that still aint enough.

Can someone clarify for me please? Can GWS take a player from a club as a FA or will it still come under the "one uncontracted" player they have permission to take? Surely the AFL couldn't give them the best of both worlds (meaning that the AFL should give uncontracted player compensation and not Free Agent compensation if GWS take their first player from a club).

So the sticking point is a 5th year which the Woods want as performance based, but the Clokes don't.

Obviously Cloke doesn't have faith in himself. That in itself should hint how valuable he is.

What possible reason would they have to take him as an uncontracted player if they could take him as a RFA with no other consequences for them? They have no reason to help reward another club, and it would probably be in their best interest not to, as it would provide us another pick, which when used would mean all other clubs get pushed down a pick in that draft, including GWS. Not a major issue for them by any means, but something they can avoid with little issue it seems.
I would be very surprised if GWS was permitted to use FA to pick up players whilst they still have wider concessions in place. That's not based on any specific knowledge of the rules but more on a commonsense look at what would be considered fair even by the league. For GWS to have access to FA at this stage would be very much like double-dipping because they would still be utilising their enhanced salary cap restrictions. I can't see any way on earth that the AFL could reasonably allow that. Happy to be proven wrong though.

He will stay .

He isn't worth paying 750k per year. He obviousy knows he wont be flying in the fifth year so wants the guaranteed cash.

Glad the club had that clause in the fifth year.

100K off per year when he hits 30, that wont make it cheap.

He simply isn't worth what we're willing to give him, and that still aint enough.

The rules changed. It's now just 10 years service without the 30 years of age condition. He becomes a vet in his 3rd year of any contract with us so we would save 300k over the course of a five year deal.

The club's decision to suspend contract talks is one that I think most supporters agree with. The statement that was issued clearly stated that no further comment would be made. What happens next?
Eddie on the radio answering questions about Richmond's interest and harking back to the trade war of the 80s. Yet more articles appear in the paper today. I thought the idea of making no further comment was to reduce the speculation and allow Cloke to concentrate on his football. FOR GODS SAKE EDDIE BE QUIET

Just on the Cloke front, I work with one of the AFL sponsors, just say we have a association with the rising star award. At a recent function there was talk that Cloke has informed the club he won't be at the club next year and that it is guaranteed he will accept a contract with Carlton. Apparently there is no chance he was going to accept Collingwood's contract, and at the time of the footy show interview the Cloke's (David) had already been in discussions with Carlton a fortnight before.

Just on the Cloke front, I work with one of the AFL sponsors, just say we have a association with the rising star award. At a recent function there was talk that Cloke has informed the club he won't be at the club next year and that it is guaranteed he will accept a contract with Carlton. Apparently there is no chance he was going to accept Collingwood's contract, and at the time of the footy show interview the Cloke's (David) had already been in discussions with Carlton a fortnight before.
This exactly what I have heard as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find all the negativeity towards Trav amazing. Don't people want him to be in good form playing at Pieland? Last year he was the games premier forward. Hating on Trav basically weakens our team. We should be out there doing what people did in 1996 when Bux got the huge offer to move to Port and have banners up around the ground all asking for him to stay.
I find anyone's negative attitude to him baffling and destructive to the club.

If this is true it proves how ****ing dumb the Cloke family is as a whole.

You don't leave Collingwood and go to Carlton simply for more money, I don't know if it's ever been done that way, it's like leaving Rangers to go to Celtic, Barcelona to go to Real Madrid, you simply do not do it.

If he goes to Carlton forget the question over whether he'll be booed on the ground or not, shit, he'll be spat on in the street, sorry, but we all know we have some feral fans and they won't treat him like a human being if they see him or his father in public, they will treat them like what they have become, scum.

That is of course if this is true, which we will have to wait and see.

Why don't we do some deal to give him a coaching job at the end of his playing career. Why not make him a "marking coach"?

I find all the negativeity towards Trav amazing. Don't people want him to be in good form playing at Pieland? Last year he was the games premier forward. Hating on Trav basically weakens our team. We should be out there doing what people did in 1996 when Bux got the huge offer to move to Port and have banners up around the ground all asking for him to stay.
I find anyone's negative attitude to him baffling and destructive to the club.
his attitude all year has been destructive towards the club and our chances for a premiership. the club WILL ALWAYS be bigger than any individual. if we let this continue to fester we will be making the same mistake as last year [malthouse]

Also I have heard he has had more than one meeting with Carlton but we shall wait and see. I would understand if he went to the dees for more money but Carlton's offer won't be much better than ours. I could never respect him again sadly but such is life. Hopefully fans dont get personal with him, I am sure we will get a Carlton player one day and payback will be sweet.

The rules changed. It's now just 10 years service without the 30 years of age condition. He becomes a vet in his 3rd year of any contract with us so we would save 300k over the course of a five year deal.

But 300k isn't much considering he wants 4 mill+ over the 5 years, he simply isn't worth that, he's prone to lenghy form slumps and his kicking for goal is average at best.

I just hate the whole situation, the Cloke camp have taken advantage of us from day dot, they orchestrated a bidding war between us and the Tiges before he was even drafted FFS, threatening to go to the Tiges if we didn't give him a massive contract as an untried player. even though his brothers were with us lol, then they threatened to go into the draft during his second contract negotiations and we were made to pay much more than he was worth at the time, now they're running around orchestratiing bidding wars again to inflate his value.

Remember, the bloke has had more poor years than good years, most players play for premierships and success and lots players take less to achieve this, Cloke has never taken less, in fact he's always been paid well above his worth, you'd expect a a little bit of loyalty in return, but nah, he's taking us for all we're worth again.

his attitude all year has been destructive towards the club and our chances for a premiership. the club WILL ALWAYS be bigger than any individual. if we let this continue to fester we will be making the same mistake as last year [malthouse]
can only hope if he does go to carlscum he gets treated the same way cameron did. hit by his own teamate followed by swift kick up the backside, then delisted. :cool:

I'm related to guy who sponsors the Demons Under 9 football clinics. At a recent sponsor's day, there was talk that Travis wouldn't be leaving Collingwood because he didnt want to spend his footy days without Goldsack and Woody. Evidently, he wants the club that he is going to to propose a package deal to the Pies. It seems we're going to get Colin Silvea and Brent Moloney as part of the deal.

I'm related to guy who sponsors the Demons Under 9 football clinics. At a recent sponsor's day, there was talk that Travis wouldn't be leaving Collingwood because he didnt want to spend his footy days without Goldsack and Woody. Evidently, he wants the club that he is going to to propose a package deal to the Pies. It seems we're going to get Colin Silvea and Brent Moloney as part of the deal.
haha dont you just love a rumour, what about alan toovey? he is part of the 'beaks' or doesnt travis want him at melbourne?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back