we're the team that never lets you down wooh
we're the only team old carlton knows woooh
with all the champions woh
they like to send us woh
we'll keep our end up woh
and they will know that they've been playing woooh
against the famous old dark blues wooooh

give or take a few woohs

I can't believe the number of people in this thread that are prepared to insist that the actual club don't know the lyrics to their own theme song.

It's sung as "us" by the players, it's written as "us" on the club room walls, it's written as "us" on promotional materials, it's sung as "us" in original recordings of the song, and finally it's sung as "us" by at least half of the people who have responded to this thread. But no, the UP-ers, think all of those people are WRONG!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna "get this bathroom changed to another girl's name". (a personal favourite of mine that my ex-wife never let me forget :)

I can't believe the number of people in this thread that are prepared to insist that the actual club don't know the lyrics to their own theme song.

It's sung as "us" by the players, it's written as "us" on the club room walls, it's written as "us" on promotional materials, it's sung as "us" in original recordings of the song, and finally it's sung as "us" by at least half of the people who have responded to this thread. But no, the UP-ers, think all of those people are WRONG!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna "get this bathroom changed to another girl's name". (a personal favourite of mine that my ex-wife never let me forget :)
If you click on the Blueseum link from the first page it actually talks about how both have been used

Us vs Up Controversy
There is some controversy with regards to the use of the word 'up' or 'us' in the line 'They like to send ..'.

Items of memorabilia from as early as the 1960's have both us and up as options. Also, before the 2003 season at an open day at Princes Park, they had music sheets with Carlton theme song words and again it was "With all the champions they like to send us". Us is also the option written in the wall in the players change rooms at Princes Park.

However, many other items including records and annual reports have 'up' as the option.

the way of the modern world.

Facts don't matter...

If you click on the Blueseum link from the first page it actually talks about how both have been used
Allow me to refer you to this post of mine from earlier in the thread:

This really is quite a silly debate, but ... strangely compelling.

At the end of the day, there are so many mondegreens that become common usage, that there really is no right or wrong answer. There are probably as many fans who sing "up" as there are who sing "us", so common usage rules dictate that either is "acceptable".

But having said that, they're singing about opposition clubs sending their champions to challenge the navy blues. Warriors are sent "in" to battle, they aren't sent "up" to battle. But you can say that their champions are being sent "to us" or "at us" for a battle. So I reckon the original author probably penned it as "With all the champions they like to send us, we'll keep our end up". Especially considering the times in which the song was originally written.

After all is said and done though, I think this one fits firmly in the "whatever seems right to you" category. So the ultimate answer to the OP question?

Q: Club song: send us or send up?
A: Yes

:)
What I'm saying is that UP-ers seem determined to tell the US-ers that they're wrong, because in their eyes "us" doesn't "make sense". This despite the fact that it's US in a myriad official contexts.

Whereas most of the US-ers seem to land on "well, that's what I always thought it was" and aren't trying to insist that "up" doesn't make sense.

Anyway, we need a new thread now.

What does the whole line:

With all the champions, they like to send us/up,
We'll keep our end up.

actually mean? Whose champions are being referred to? Some seem to think it's our own champions :)

I have no doubt the context of the line of lyrics in question & the next line reflect the intent of the lyrics, i.e. the club/supporters are sending the players to represent us & the players are responding by saying they will keep their end of the deal up. Therefore it is 'us' & then 'up'.

Allow me to refer you to this post of mine from earlier in the thread:

What I'm saying is that UP-ers seem determined to tell the US-ers that they're wrong, because in their eyes "us" doesn't "make sense". This despite the fact that it's US in a myriad official contexts.

Whereas most of the US-ers seem to land on "well, that's what I always thought it was" and aren't trying to insist that "up" doesn't make sense.

Anyway, we need a new thread now.

What does the whole line:

With all the champions, they like to send us/up,
We'll keep our end up.

actually mean? Whose champions are being referred to? Some seem to think it's our own champions :)
Well I don't really have a preference myself. I noticed the MCG using 'up' in the signage lyrics the other night.

Honeymoon is over?
Yep ... facepalm! :)

I just never thought about it. It came on in the car one day, and I was singing along when my (then) missus cracked up!!!

As soon as I thought about it, of course it's "tattoo", but hey I hadn't given it any thought, just loved the song.

I’ve heard and used both. I love our song and i sing either, depends on my mood or level of inebriation. Us does make more sense though. Da Dada Dada

There is clearly multiple lines of thinking within the club, they plastered 'up' over the arena on Thursday.

You are pretty much doing exactly what you are criticising others of lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is clearly multiple lines of thinking within the club, they plastered 'up' over the arena on Thursday.

You are pretty much doing exactly what you are criticising others of lol
You think the club has some control over MCG media folks who type what they think are the lyrics of a club's song into the computer that feeds those hoarding screens? Interesting ...

I said I think both are acceptable, based on common usage. Not really sure what you're lol-ing about.

You think the club has some control over MCG media folks who type what they think are the lyrics of a club's song into the computer that feeds those hoarding screens? Interesting ...

I said I think both are acceptable, based on common usage. Not really sure what you're lol-ing about.

Yes, it is very clearly a club controlled thing... Hilarious to suggest otherwise.

Never mind us/up ..... What about the other discrepancies in the song?

In the first , is it "We're the only team ALL Carlton knows" or is it "We're the only team OLD Carlton knows"?

And at the end, just after the us/up lines, many (including the players) clearly sing "We'll keep our ENDS up". The plural of the word, perhaps suggesting a bit of post match hijinks, that is maybe not suitable for family viewing.

The whole thing is a nightmare.

Yes, it is very clearly a club controlled thing... Hilarious to suggest otherwise.
Look man, I'm trying to treat this as a light-hearted discussion about our song, but I'd love for you to explain how you think it's "clearly" a club controlled thing when whoever did it did the opposite of everything that is official from the club (the clubroom wall, official merchandise, what the players sing etc etc).

The MCC controls the MCG and everything that goes on there, it has always been thus. So I think it's far more likely to have been done by some dude in the MCG media dept who has nothing to do with Carlton and most likely doesn't even barrack for us.

Never mind us/up ..... What about the other discrepancies in the song?

In the first , is it "We're the only team ALL Carlton knows" or is it "We're the only team OLD Carlton knows"?

And at the end, just after the us/up lines, many (including the players) clearly sing "We'll keep our ENDS up". The plural of the word, perhaps suggesting a bit of post match hijinks, that is maybe not suitable for family viewing.

The whole thing is a nightmare.

OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND,
WE'RE ALCHOHOLICS, WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND
IN ANY WEATHER YOU WILL SEE US WITH A GIN, (oi!)
GETTING PISSED AGAIN, (oi!)
THEN WE DRIVE, BLOW POINT 05, AND LOSE OUR SPONSORSHIP
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND
WE NEVER WEAKEN TILL THE BAR IS FULLY DRY,
LIKE THE DRUNKARDS OF OLD
WE LOVE OUR BEER COLD
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUOR - YELLOW & BLEAK
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND

OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND,
WE'RE ALCHOHOLICS, WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND
IN ANY WEATHER YOU WILL SEE US WITH A GIN, (oi!)
GETTING PISSED AGAIN, (oi!)
THEN WE DRIVE, BLOW POINT 05, AND LOSE OUR SPONSORSHIP
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND
WE NEVER WEAKEN TILL THE BAR IS FULLY DRY,
LIKE THE DRUNKARDS OF OLD
WE LOVE OUR BEER COLD
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUOR - YELLOW & BLEAK
OH WE'RE FROM LIQUORLAND
I've always thought it was
OH WE'RE FROM TOSSERLAND....

Remove this Banner Ad

Club song: send us or send up?