Analysis Clubs in breach of the two first round picks in four years

Remove this Banner Ad

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So although the player trade period has finished clubs are still able to trade picks and with all the talk in various threads over this rule and we have now finished the first 4 year cycle hopefully we all have an understanding of the rule and I will try to explain it as clearly as I can and if other posters have a better explanation please feel free to add
A club is required to take 2 1st rounders over a 4 year period or else they will be prevented from trading any future first rounders until they meet that criteria

So for example Hawthorn used 2 1st rounders in the 2015 draft therefore they could trade this years and if they wanted next years but when it comes to the 2019 draft period they would not be able to trade a 1st rounder until they have used 2
2015 2
2016 0
2017 0
2018 0
2019 1
2020 1

And for Collingwood As they have traded out there 2018/19 1st rounders they will not be able to trade out there 2020 unless they trade one in during the 2019 trade period
2015 0
2016 0
2017 1
2018 0
2019 0
2020 1

Geelong were prevented from trading the 2018 and 2019 1st rounders (If they wanted to) as they are in breach of the 2 in 4 rule
2015 0
2016 0
2017 0
2018 1
2019 1
2020 1
Apologies if factually incorrect:p
Anyone with a boring office job or a talent for spreadsheets who could crate one for all the clubs will get extra likes

I really don't understand why this rule exists. Seems like the afl were trying to fix a problem that didn't exist yet - and might never exist.
I don't think the AFL wanted teams eternally trading their future first rounder to get elite talent, basically forever and never using them in the draft? That's the only reason I can think of.

At the start of trade radio this year, whilst talking through hypothetical scenarios, Plough stated that the AFL had relaxed the rule to 1 in 5.

I’m not sure if it was changed since that article was written or Plough was simply talking bs.

But I definitely haven’t seen any formal notification come out in this regard.

As I understand the 1st round rules, clubs must use 2 x 1st round picks in a 4 year period.

So, unless a club has acquired 2 x 1st round picks between 2015 and 2018 it cannot trade away it's 1st round selection for 2019.

The Pies selected Jaidyn Stephenson at No.6 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft and will need to trigger one first-round selection in 2018 or 2019 after not taking any between 2015-16.

After trading their 2018 1st and their 2019 1st as well as possibly losing their 2nd round pick because of going into deficit matching bids for Quayner and Kelly they are in breach of the rules and will have to trade back into the 1st round 2019 without much currency because they'll only have picks 53 and 71

Another price to pay for the Beams deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got any ideas for trades?

Richmond picks 17 and 37 for 23 and 28
I reckon it might involve the Suns - I think they will go 3 into a haul from the Crows (say 8, 13 and something or 8, 16 and something) and we will chase the lowest of their first rounders. If the Suns can filter that pick into draft capital over the next couple of drafts they will be laughing.

As I understand the 1st round rules, clubs must use 2 x 1st round picks in a 4 year period.

So, unless a club has acquired 2 x 1st round picks between 2015 and 2018 it cannot trade away it's 1st round selection for 2019.

The Pies selected Jaidyn Stephenson at No.6 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft and will need to trigger one first-round selection in 2018 or 2019 after not taking any between 2015-16.

After trading their 2018 1st and their 2019 1st as well as possibly losing their 2nd round pick because of going into deficit matching bids for Quayner and Kelly they are in breach of the rules and will have to trade back into the 1st round 2019 without much currency because they'll only have picks 53 and 71

As it stands now Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Melbourne won't be able to trade out their 2020 1st rounder unless they trade picks to get one this year. Collingwood changes if Quaynor gets bid on in first round as that counts even though they use 2nd round picks to match it

I understand why the AFL tried to bring in the rule but I fear they may just be unnecessarily limiting a valid strategy to rebuild a list through use of free agency and trades rather than through the draft. Particularly as the furthest you can trade is one year in advance so even if you have the year from hell and you've traded away your first, its really only one valuable pick you've lost. Sure it hurts but its not catastrophic in the scheme of things.

One other thing the current system doesn't account well for is when you use your draft pick to bring in a relatively young player. The truth is bringing in a 24 year old that might play a further 100-150 games already exceeds the average for the number of games for any particular draft pick (too lazy to check if top 3 picks average more games but the overall point is valid).

I think it's to prevent the top teams raiding team forever. Eventually teams must use their top picks.
And bottom teams from trading away all their picks in trades.

It doesn’t seem to be an enforced rule at all, to be honest.

As it stands now Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Melbourne won't be able to trade out their 2020 1st rounder unless they trade picks to get one this year. Collingwood changes if Quaynor gets bid on in first round as that counts even though they use 2nd round picks to match it

Do you have confirmation of this somewhere?

They won’t go into deficit. They’ve got enough points. Quaynor should get a bid around 15-20 and if so they’ve comfortably got enough points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Clubs in breach of the two first round picks in four years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back