Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I for one have not called for Hirdy to be sacked, but rather this club to sit down and seriously review the game plan.

The other day, I was looking at Edihad from ground level and from the fence the ground does look small, and I couldn't help but start think why do we have such difficulty getting the ball forward.
If only we had a ground of the same proportions we could train on...

Money well spent, that.
What a load of **** that was.

They're professional footballers. If they can't adapt to a ground that's slightly different proportions to the one they train on then for christ sake

What a load of **** that was.

They're professional footballers. If they can't adapt to a ground that's slightly different proportions to the one they train on then for christ sake
Really? You're complaining about that? We get the opportunity to do it, why not do it? North have an Etihad sized training ground now...

I'm not complaining. Just see it as a touch unnecessary.
A touch unnecessary or a load of ****? I think it's a very good idea, we had to build a ground anyway, why not make it the proportions that you play on at the weekend?

A touch unnecessary or a load of ****? I think it's a very good idea, we had to build a ground anyway, why not make it the proportions that you play on at the weekend?
Why build two grounds was my point.

I thought this was the Coach thread?
Just curios what is the contract status of Hird is he contracted beyond this year and what is the chances he will be retained regardless of contractual arrangements?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could have the best facilities, great list and best gameplan in the competition but if the players are not motivated then you won't achieve anything. Hird was a great motivator in 2013 - many would argue possibly the best we've seen under the adversity. What we've seen in some great early performances when the shackles were off and now when WADA is back is the players have dropped their bundle. They thought it was over and then when it reared again have cracked it. From hirds perspective he was told if he accepted a 12 month ban it would be over - the players understood this to. However the afl couldn't deliver its promise. Now he can't tell them anything about when it will be over. With no end in sight another season is ruined and the players know it. We the fans are struggling with the WADA thing - it's depressing. Imagine being the player under the scope. Losing faith in the afl and governing authorities...disillusioned.

The main thing Hird is doing wrong right now is being sentimental. However this may be changing as we've seen Bellchambers and Dempsey dropped. I want to see the ruthless and uncompromising Hird again - we may not see this until after the WADA thing is done and dusted. I hope Hird is not ruined by the stress - he's one of the greatest leaders and motivators I've seen in the game of afl. He's been sinned against more than he has sinned himself.

AFL is an inpatient world. Perspective it took Malthouse 10 years at Collingwood to win a flag there. Hird has not had a fair go at it (some will say this was his own doing however IMO there is no clear evidence that anyone broke any clearly defined rules).

Paul Little seems to be pro Neil Craig which has undermined both Thompson and Hird. That puff piece Neil Craig sends out each week to the members is a joke. Why do it? One message from the senior coach is enough.

What we need is a club fully supporting its senior coach whoever it is. Hird was thrown under the bus in mid 2013, thrown under again late 2014 and is not getting the same support he had in 2012 and early 2013.

We won't see this (United club) until the WADA stuff is over. It's frustrating as hell. EFC have basically been punished for the corruption and inefficiencies (poor governance) of the afl and ASADA for 3 years. It's a joke Pistorius has been found guilty and released on parole quicker than this case. Many fans will be lost to the game for years.

Thread has moved on a bit and I haven't got to the end but that's a quality post efcboy. If you support Essendon that's where we are at. Only thing I would add is just look for positives, disgruntled supporters aren't our answer.

I'm knew to here so don't want to grind to many gears, but... I just think that if you look at the Hird era in its entirety, membership numbers aside it's been a complete failure. Yes, he has had to deal with the whole Asada thing but bottom line is that is of his own making. We are much worse off now than when we threw a hail Mary and appointed a legend of the club who didn't have any desire to coach. The only reason people defend him is because he was a once in a generation player who made all supporters walk taller. This has to be separated from what he has become as coach and that is simply a disaster.

I agree, I for one have not called for Hirdy to be sacked, but rather this club to sit down and seriously review the game plan.

The other day, I was looking at Edihad from ground level and from the fence the ground does look small, and I couldn't help but start think why do we have such difficulty getting the ball forward.
There was some great footage on talking footy of us going forward where the camera angle was behind the ball carrier. In this footage the lack of leading was pretty evident.

I like the idea of Hurley forward. He'll give us a contest by running at the ball carrier and he's the fittest and leanest he's ever been.

I also don't mind trying Hooksy up there also as Lloydy has alluded too.

I think we'll be a better team with Jake back and someone else forward.

Hurley is the perfect candidate because he draws the footy and creates space in the forward line. Though I wouldn't make the move because Hurley has been injury free since moving to defence.

That's if you think it fair and reasonable to be assessing his success at this stage.

Absolutely its been a failure at this point in time - Hird has been provided the best resources in the AFL - For heavens sake we paid a P/t coach 800K per year.

There was some great footage on talking footy of us going forward where the camera angle was behind the ball carrier. In this footage the lack of leading was pretty evident.

It takes the experts this long to work out what I've been banging on for 2 years. Staggering.

I'm not complaining. Just see it as a touch unnecessary.

Why build two grounds was my point.

I was able to do a group tour of the TVSC last year with a couple of players and coaches.

It was specifically asked and they said they had been using both regularly - they played a lot of full ground 10vs10 simulations during which they used both grounds at the same time. Particularly during preseason as its a huge fitness builder.

This was during Bomber's time so let's not bother with any anti-Hird crap just on this one.

The land allowed it and in the scheme of things a second oval didn't add much in the way of incremental cost - most of the $ were spent inside.

It's a luxury but the facility was meant to be state of the art and it gives them the option should they ever want it.

I think people can understand that the size of the grounds wasn't the point of it, that was just a "why not" bonus. It's not like they change grounds depending on where they're playing that week. Main sessions are all done on the main oval.

So not a load of ****, just an elite facility.

I was able to do a group tour of the TVSC last year with a couple of players and coaches.

It was specifically asked and they said they had been using both regularly - they played a lot of full ground 10vs10 simulations during which they used both grounds at the same time. Particularly during preseason as its a huge fitness builder.

This was during Bomber's time so let's not bother with any anti-Hird crap just on this one.

The land allowed it and in the scheme of things a second oval didn't add much in the way of incremental cost - most of the $ were spent inside.

It's a luxury but the facility was meant to be state of the art and it gives them the option should they ever want it.

I think people can understand that the size of the grounds wasn't the point of it, that was just a "why not" bonus. It's not like they change grounds depending on where they're playing that week. Main sessions are all done on the main oval.

So not a load of ****, just an elite facility.
Who mentioned Hird in talking about the grounds? o_O

It takes the experts this long to work out what I've been banging on for 2 years. Staggering.

The lack of movement across the forward half of the ground has been a problem since Lloyd retired yet no one seems willing or able to address it, I understand the need to improve the defensive part of the game but the lack of attention to the forward half has long been a worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back