Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do tend to wonder what would have happened if he had not attended?

Some smart arse would have found out and would be questioning why he had snubbed the course and those that paid for him to do it.
And presumably the last 18 months of studying would have been a waste of time

This is what you have assistant coaches for. The head coach doesn't need to be at every sessions and it's actually good to get a different voice for a couple sessions. No big deal

Normally I would agree but our game plan is in urgent need of attention so this isn't the time for the coach to disappear to Europe.

Clarkson missed 6 weeks last year and the Hawks didn't lose a game. Miss 2 training sessions at Essendon and the sky is falling in.

We have become a pathetic, excuse raddled, umpire bashing supporter group. Hang your heads in shame.

There are two massive differences

1-Clarko was ill so he needed to take leave
2-The Hawks have a well drilled game plan

I'm not sure why anyone would have expected it to be seamless.

However, it also wasn't uncommon to see people saying last year that there'd be some magic alchemy with Hird returned because the players played for him; that he could inspire the group more.

Now, I'm not denying that there are extenuating circumstances. We've had injuries in the wrong area, and a ruckman who has completely lost his way. The WADA appeal is also going to be affecting the players to a degree; I don't deny that either.

However, that doesn't mitigate everything and I think there are some fairly worrying trends developing not only in our gameplan but also our management of players and the list.

But ultimately, that magic alchemy so far isn't in evidence. It's fair enough to not write him off, but nor is it unreasonable to be drawing some conclusions at the very least on what we aren't doing very well.
Very well worded

I'm sorry but going to Europe tells me that Hirdy is either not totally committed to his job or is being poorly advised, I can understand him and Tanya having a weekend a way but going all the way too Europe just shows a lack of focus.

Yeah nah. The players have been away. It'd probably do him the world of good freshening up. The fact that he's gone and come so quickly shows his dedication. Surely you don't see flying 50,000 km round trip in a week as fun?

Hey all, new to the site and thought I'd post my opinion on the situation.

For me, I think Hird can coach, but I'm not particularly sure if he is capable enough of making the hard calls. I think we are at a point were we need to rebuild, is James the man to do this, and is he willing to start now?

I'm OK with losing games in this second half of the season if we bleed youngers in who are going to have a crack. We have so many senior listed players who don't get a game and I wonder to myself, are they just there for the seconds or are they actually apart of our future? Players like Obrien, Pears (big concern for me), Browne, Steinberg.

I know we can just out of nowhere play all the kids. My idea is to just slowly bleed them in and if they show enough let them stay. Only good things will happen to fantasia and kavanagh the more opporunities they get to play in the AFL.

For mine, players like Licha (Valuable for VFL squad, like a second coach on the ground) Fletch, Chapman and Cooney, I'm not to sure if for the future of the club they should be getting games? I think it's clear we are on the path of rebuilding, and I think we need to get on the front foot and make something out fo 2015 before it dwildles away and we've just lost games while playing these older guys.

My opinion of Hird, and the match selection committee, is formed on how we approach the second half of the season. I want to see Obrien, Laverde, Langford, Browne, Dalgleish, and hell, if he gets upgraded I'd like to see Aylett too. We are not challenging for a premiership with half the current list, its either develop these kids & make a play for draft picks (dempsey have any currency?) or waste 2015 away and have nothing to show for it.

For me, I think Hird can coach, but I'm not particularly sure if he is capable enough of making the hard calls. I think we are at a point were we need to rebuild, is James the man to do this, and is he willing to start now?

I'm OK with losing games in this second half of the season if we bleed youngers in who are going to have a crack. We have so many senior listed players who don't get a game and I wonder to myself, are they just there for the seconds or are they actually apart of our future? Players like Obrien, Pears (big concern for me), Browne, Steinberg.

I know we can just out of nowhere play all the kids. My idea is to just slowly bleed them in and if they show enough let them stay. Only good things will happen to fantasia and kavanagh the more opporunities they get to play in the AFL.

For mine, players like Licha (Valuable for VFL squad, like a second coach on the ground) Fletch, Chapman and Cooney, I'm not to sure if for the future of the club they should be getting games? I think it's clear we are on the path of rebuilding, and I think we need to get on the front foot and make something out fo 2015 before it dwildles away and we've just lost games while playing these older guys.

My opinion of Hird, and the match selection committee, is formed on how we approach the second half of the season. I want to see Obrien, Laverde, Langford, Browne, Dalgleish, and hell, if he gets upgraded I'd like to see Aylett too. We are not challenging for a premiership with half the current list, its either develop these kids & make a play for draft picks (dempsey have any currency?) or waste 2015 away and have nothing to show for it.
Great post, my opinion of Hird and match committee is the same!

Solid post, and welcome to BigFooty. :thumbsu:

Bomber Thompson spoke at a presidents lunch at my local football club and the question was asked "how is Hird coping" and bomber pretty much said he is ****ed and pretty much putting on a brave face for the public and its really taken its toll ect. Could be whats effecting the team.

Yeah nah. The players have been away. It'd probably do him the world of good freshening up. The fact that he's gone and come so quickly shows his dedication. Surely you don't see flying 50,000 km round trip in a week as fun?

If he had gone an sat on a Greek island for a few days maybe but this was a study trip, not to a professional football side to learn tactics but to a course for his post football career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry but going to Europe tells me that Hirdy is either not totally committed to his job or is being poorly advised, I can understand him and Tanya having a weekend a way but going all the way too Europe just shows a lack of focus.
Total bullshit!!! The bloke took his right whack and stepped away for 12 months and went and did this course. It would have been ticked off at the start of the season and it's not like he has ducked off in the middle of the week during the season. IT WAS THE BYE ROUND!!!! Besides it's about a 20+ hour trip there and 20+ back again plenty of time to review the season so far on the plane.

Funniest thing is though is if we were 7-4 not one of you tossers would have battered a precious eyelash.

I don't want to win anymore games. Think draft picks kids. Time now to double up and start tanking.
That worked for Carlton and Melbourne, no thanks.
Bomber Thompson spoke at a presidents lunch at my local football club and the question was asked "how is Hird coping" and bomber pretty much said he is ****ed and pretty much putting on a brave face for the public and its really taken its toll ect. Could be whats effecting the team.
That doesn't surprised me, his whole life has been torn to shreds. He was just too naive about how this was going to play out, the whole club was.

Watched 360 just now, they mentioned Hird for a brief second and Robbo mentioned that Hird watched all the previous games of this season in his spare/fly time to Europe. I doubt many coaches would of done that...

Total bullshit!!! The bloke took his right whack and stepped away for 12 months and went and did this course. It would have been ticked off at the start of the season and it's not like he has ducked off in the middle of the week during the season. IT WAS THE BYE ROUND!!!! Besides it's about a 20+ hour trip there and 20+ back again plenty of time to review the season so far on the plane.

Funniest thing is though is if we were 7-4 not one of you tossers would have battered a precious eyelash.

Considering my membership fee paid for that course and the fact that it didn't teach one single football related skill I guess I am a tosser for being unimpressed, maybe Hirdy should work out is he more interested in a business career or a coaching career.

The Essendon Football Club is in the business of winning games of football, the business course has **** all to do with footy, if Hirdy wants a business career then maybe Little can get him a job at Toll and we can get a football coach that is committed to the job of winning premiership number 17

Yeah and if we never hired Dank none of that mess would've happened in the first place.

But guess what. We did hire Dank. And we aren't 7-4. So who cares about stupid, pointless hypotheticals?

The issue with this is it was reported at the time the afl was preparing for a vote to temporarily suspend efc's registration in the afl

Just IMO, but for little to cave like he did, I suspect the afl had the numbers to go this nuke option

The big worry was as bad as missing finals was, you still could draft, trade, and prepare for the next season. An open ended deregistration would have been catastrophic, and potentially jeopardised the ongoing sustainability of the club

So you mean the AFL were never serious about hearing any charges and just wanted to negotiate punishment.

It was high stakes bluff. Little blinked.

That doesn't surprised me, his whole life has been torn to shreds. He was just too naive about how this was going to play out, the whole club was.

Watched 360 just now, they mentioned Hird for a brief second and Robbo mentioned that Hird watched all the previous games of this season in his spare/fly time to Europe. I doubt many coaches would of done that...

Fair call

That would have been awful.

Considering my membership fee paid for that course and the fact that it didn't teach one single football related skill I guess I am a tosser for being unimpressed, maybe Hirdy should work out is he more interested in a business career or a coaching career.

The Essendon Football Club is in the business of winning games of football, the business course has **** all to do with footy, if Hirdy wants a business career then maybe Little can get him a job at Toll and we can get a football coach that is committed to the job of winning premiership number 17
Why don't you ask the club to send you an itemised invoice as to where your membership fee gets distributed?? Fulfilling the definition. It falls under annual leave which any "employee" he is entitled to take like any other employee.
Yeah and if we never hired Dank none of that mess would've happened in the first place.

But guess what. We did hire Dank. And we aren't 7-4. So who cares about stupid, pointless hypotheticals?
And if we never hired Knights there would have been no ground swell to sack him and get Hird... :drunk::drunk:... derp derp....

Why don't you ask the club to send you an itemised invoice as to where your membership fee gets distributed?? Fulfilling the definition. It falls under annual leave which any "employee" he is entitled to take like any other employee.

And if we never hired Knights there would have been no ground swell to sack him and get Hird... :drunk::drunk:... derp derp....
Exactly. Hypotheticals are stupid. My point precisely.

I don't need the club to do that, I want to see a functioning game plan, if Hirdy delivers that then I'm happy for the club to buy Hirdy the Palace of Versailles

On the contrary it has worked for Collingwood and WBD. I'm actually really envious of the position Collingwood are in.

End of the day high draft picks give you the best chance of having talent, what you do with that talent is totally up to the people involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back