Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hird just needs to go we need a fresh start. His game plan is obviously not working and he is not willing to even attempt to change. He won't play kids. I'm sick of his contrived, predictable press conferences when he says the painfully obvious like "Well, we didn't play the way we wanted to play" or " We'll look at it during the week and try and fix it". IMO the players are simply not playing for him, weather it's saga related or they're just bored playing defensive BS who knows. Anyone who "Sticking by Hird" has their head up their ass or still think it's 1996. His reputation as an Essendon great is getting diminished week by week. Board, stop playing favorites, it's time to act

That is part of the problem here. Last off-season, the membership who decided to vote, voted 2 people onto the Board, who's simple premise is to support Hird. We now have, for one of a better word, a board full of yes men and women. From Little down. It means that the performance of the coach is putting pressure on the board. He fails, it reflects on them. He succeeds, it reflects on them.

I just can't fathom that any serious supporter that doesn't agree that hird should leave. He's left a giant skid mark that will most likely never leave this club, it will take years of scrubbing to clean it and get some sort of reputation again. At the moment the majority of the football population thinks of Essendon as a drug cheating disgrace. The fact he continues to deny everything and can't explain what happened is ludicrous, oh and he coached a team in the weekend that lost to the wooden spoon by 110 pts if you didn't hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who think Hird should stay have their head up their ass.

They don't. I think Hird should go, but it's certainly not a simple decision.

There are a multitude of variables to consider:

What do the players want?
Will removing Hird adversely affect them further?
Does the board have responsibilities to adhere to their wishes in light of what they have been through or only what is best for the stability of the club as a whole?
Is it fair to appoint another coach while this situation is up in the air?
Will a caretaker only destabilize things further?

That is part of the problem here. Last off-season, the membership who decided to vote, voted 2 people onto the Board, who's simple premise is to support Hird. We now have, for one of a better word, a board full of yes men and women. From Little down. It means that the performance of the coach is putting pressure on the board. He fails, it reflects on them. He succeeds, it reflects on them.
By this time, Bomber had given his speech at B&F night and got told to f#ck off.

Much to the surprise of 90% of those at the function who would have given near unanimous support for Bomber had a vote been held that night.

So with Bomber gone, we trusted the Board was doing the right thing and jumped on the Hird bandwagon and all that he stood for and all those that supported him.

The new members were interesting nominations.. somebody that creates Web sites and another who does some other very un board like activity.

By this time, Bomber had given his speech at B&F night and got told to f#ck off.
Say what now?

Much to the surprise of 90% of those at the function who would have given near unanimous support for Bomber had a vote been held that night.

So with Bomber gone, we trusted the Board was doing the right thing and jumped on the Hird bandwagon and all that he stood for and all those that supported him.

The new members were interesting nominations.. somebody that creates Web sites and another who does some other very un board like activity.

Took a snap poll did you? Ridiculous hyperbolic comments like these do you no favours whatsoever.

They don't. I think Hird should go, but it's certainly not a simple decision.

There are a multitude of variables to consider:

What do the players want?
Will removing Hird adversely affect them further?
Does the board have responsibilities to adhere to their wishes in light of what they have been through or only what is best for the stability of the club as a whole?

Is it fair to appoint another coach while this situation is up in the air?
Will a caretaker only destabilize things further?
Bolded should play absolutely no part in the decision to keep Hird.

Players should not decide who coaches. Even if they want Hird, the results do not justify keeping him. Carlton players wanted to keep MM too. Just doesn't work that way. We've seen St Kilda, Bulldogs, Fremantle and Adelaide recently make the decision to sack their coach for less reasons than Essendon. All 4 improved under their new coaches. I still believe we are more in Adelaide's position as opposed to a full rebuild like St Kilda and Bulldogs. Carlton have accepted that they need to rebuild. We'll see them improving from here on. We either rebuild or try to salvage this list through trading. Either way, it will be more fruitful with a new coach.

I think the caretaker coach will make the hard decisions with players that are not performing. It is all about the future as this season is a complete write-off. We will gain absolutely nothing from keeping Hird until the end of the year to be honest. Players cannot handle the media pressure anymore. We won't see a galvanised effort like we have the last 2 years as they are mentally shot.

To see Jobe play the way he did in his 200th game should be the sign. Removing Hird will completely release the pressure valve on Essendon and the players. Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions.

Say what now?

Were you there?

Did you hear his speech?

The applause was thunderous.... you know what his speech was about... the 2015 season and how we were going to make in roads into being a powerhouse once again.

He spoke of his game plan, direct football through the corridor, large number of multiple goal scorers, playing young guys (Gleeson and Zach Merrett) and easing them into the winning culture.

Did you see him leave early with his wife? He looked devastated. Obviously somebody had a word to him after his speech.

No point in sacking him until the WADA thing's over. If we're gonna sack him, wait and do it when we have totally ridded the club of anything to do with the saga.

Bolded should play absolutely no part in the decision to keep Hird.

Players should not decide who coaches. Even if they want Hird, the results do not justify keeping him. Carlton players wanted to keep MM too. Just doesn't work that way. We've seen St Kilda, Bulldogs, Fremantle and Adelaide recently make the decision to sack their coach for less reasons than Essendon. All 4 improved under their new coaches. I still believe we are more in Adelaide's position as opposed to a full rebuild like St Kilda and Bulldogs. Carlton have accepted that they need to rebuild. We'll see them improving from here on. We either rebuild or try to salvage this list through trading. Either way, it will be more fruitful with a new coach.

I think the caretaker coach will make the hard decisions with players that are not performing. It is all about the future as this season is a complete write-off. We will gain absolutely nothing from keeping Hird until the end of the year to be honest. Players cannot handle the media pressure anymore. We won't see a galvanised effort like we have the last 2 years as they are mentally shot.

To see Jobe play the way he did in his 200th game should be the sign. Removing Hird will completely release the pressure valve on Essendon and the players. Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions.
Very well said

Beerfish, you seem to be very pro hird. What's going through your brain to actually think that he's worthy of keeping his job? Would love to hear your thoughts

I'm actually not pro Hird, I'm pro Essendon but I'm not surprised you would label me such given your rabid posting since yesterday.

Okay I'll repeat myself since you obviously missed it while you were ranting about sacking Hird. He should stay until the end of the year at which point we reassess. Why? Because no coach worth having would want to come to Essendon with the asaga hanging over us. We use the rest of the season to have a close look at the list so we can make calls on that too come season's end.

Players should not decide who coaches. Even if they want Hird, the results do not justify keeping him. Carlton players wanted to keep MM too.

I very much doubt this, do you seriously think any contracted player is going to come out and say "I don't want James Hird/MM to coach us"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back