Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me one year under Hird where we haven't fallen in a heap for about a month or so?

Okay did we win a final in that period?

Even 2013, there is no way we would've beaten Collingwood, who we were supposed to play. Collingwood smashed us by 79 points.

Incidentally, our biggest loss under Bomber was 53 points to Fremantle and 50 to Sydney.

Under Hird, we've lost more than 70 points in each year he has coached, looking hopeless for a month.

So you're counting large losses when the players were told that finals is no go and we lost the last 6 heavily?

C'mon mate. Why is everyone being so dishonest and selective.

You forget we lost to the Saints and Melbourne last year when we had a healthy list, a great coach and they were absolute poo.

Robbo very confident that Hird will coach this year and next just now on 360. Club understands players are in an almighty funk due to WADA.

Think its time some supporters on here backed Hird and the club and stopped gnawing on the edge. Not doing anybody any good.

Reassess next year once we get some draft picks and a bit of list turnover and see how we go. Results don't go to plan by this time mid year then by all means go for it. Let it all out.

Until then, stick by the players, coach and everyone involved and stop this hate.

Don't claim he has deficiences then run away when facts are presented that contradict it. What deficincies and why weren't they shown up them.
You're attacking everyone who doesn't think he's perfect in this thread. I've posted these deficiencies several times, mostly in response to YOUR posts. I really can't be stuffed posting them again when I know you'll simply ignore them and then in a few days come on and complain about how everybody who thinks he's not perfect is a "hater".

So you're counting large losses when the players were told that finals is no go and we lost the last 6 heavily?

C'mon mate. Why is everyone being so dishonest and selective.

You forget we lost to the Saints and Melbourne last year when we had a healthy list, a great coach and they were absolute poo.
Sorry but 2013 was no different to the other years. Same slide.

At least we didn't look completely hopeless in those losses last year. Sure they were terrible, but there is no denying that we went backwards.

Sorry but 2013 was no different to the other years. Same slide.

At least we didn't look completely hopeless in those losses last year. Sure they were terrible, but there is no denying that we went backwards.

Don't necessarily completely disagree but our slides most years have coincided with either a saga of massive injury toll. We just cannot get things right in any sense for a long enough period of time.

I'm willing to write this year completely off but it things don't improve by this time next year I'll be calling for his head also. Not sure how its all bad for the anti Hird brigade though.

If he can't coach it means we finish lower on the ladder and get better draft picks. Something this club needs is more talent. Not easy to get when GWS and GC have picked the eyes out of the draft the last 5 years.

You're attacking everyone who doesn't think he's perfect in this thread. I've posted these deficiencies several times, mostly in response to YOUR posts. I really can't be stuffed posting them again when I know you'll simply ignore them and then in a few days come on and complain about how everybody who thinks he's not perfect is a "hater".

Simple question. How were his deficiencies masked when we were 13-3?

No question giving him the chop now is probably pointless as for the many reasons already pointed out. However, not sure why those who seem to be pro Hird can't see it from the other pov. Nearly everything that can be seen as hampering his ability coach is a result of his time as the main man. He came to the job with zero hours of coaching experience, zero. He then directly led the club down a path which leads to now. People in footy lose jobs every day, you stuff up, you're gone, right or wrong that's what happens.
He has hung on through this thing so tightly it's dramatically effected his reputation among even Essendon fans. He could've stepped down when shit hit the fan and if he is as passionate about coaching as he says is, what's to stop him coming back in 3 or 5 or even 10 years. But that's too late now.
And I don't buy this crap when Essendon fans say 'don't be a Richmond or Carlton' or ' now is the time to stick fat' .Give me a spell! Fans of this club have put up with incompetence for the past 15 years. People are allowed to be angry at where we are at and if that means they want someone gone well so be it.

Last edited:
No one can dismiss the saga and say it hasn't had an impact on the players, I can recall multiple occasions where it has affected the players eg (losing against Brisbane when it was the interview week).
The players have finally hit the wall, they are mental exhausted and look like they don't want to play football anymore.
They have had 3 years of uncertainty hanging over their careers, in hindsight accepting a similar penalty like the NRL if it was on the table would of been better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird as coach. Losses over 60 points:

Hawthorn 65pts
Carlton 74pts
Collingwood 74pts
EF Carlton 62pts

St Kilda 71pts
Geelong 67pts
Hawthorn 94pts
Carlton 96pts

Collingwood 79pts
Smashed by Hawthorn and West Coast too, just not over 60 points

Geelong 69pts
St Kilda 110pts

Unacceptable really. Our percentage is never really good because of these massive losses.

Don't be dishonest. We made and deserved to play finals in 2013. The AFL took it away as a deal to get the players off which worked quite well.

So in reality as a club we've made finals 3 out of 5 years. Do you cull the coach and his plans when you have a really bad year?
Don't be dishonest? You said two finals appearances. So when was the second finals appearance under Hird?

And yeah, 2 (not 3) finals appearances for 2 comfortable losses. That's what we should be aiming for.

With all this talk of sacking Hird a.s.a.p one could be forgiven of thinking Hird is not under contract. When you start sacking legends of the club midway through their contract the damage done to club culture goes far deeper than a 20 goal loss to St Kilda.

While I can understand the argument that there is nothing to be gained from cutting Hird loose pre CAS, there is a train of thought that there are positives to be gained from acting sooner rather than later.

We see most struggling sides go through a form spike post midseason coaching change - mostly due to the increased hope and confidence generated as a result. It doesn't necessarily matter who the interim coach is.

I don't believe you can underestimate how important hope is to a downtrodden group. Whether you've been pro-Hird or anti-Hird throughout ASAGA, I'm not sure you could argue that having him constantly around the players doesn't serve as a stark reminder as to the absolute shit the club has put the players through.

It's pretty clear Hird has lost the players - not moving him on means we are simply treading water, and if we keep going like this we run the risk of things getting even worse before they get better

With all this talk of sacking Hird a.s.a.p one could be forgiven of thinking Hird is not under contract. When you start sacking legends of the club midway through their contract the damage done to club culture goes far deeper than a 20 goal loss to St Kilda.

His standing as a player should have nothing to do with how he is judged on his job as a coach , if anyone but Hird had put the club through the hell of the last few years they wouldn't of made it to 2015 .

How many finals did we win that year or any other year , for that matter ?

Does not matter!!!!!!!! We were 13-3 and going for top spot!!!!!!!!! bloody Asada !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 13-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Top 2 Spot !!!!!!!!

Here's a question. If the coach was Mr. X and not James Hird, he would of been sacked by now, wouldn't he?
if you'd said Mr T, I'd say "hell no".

but seriously, it's a hypothetical question that can't be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back