List Mgmt. Colin Sylvia - Joins Freo as Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

If he had an attitude problem and was petulant like you guys imagine, we would have delisted him already. No AFL club would stand for that sort of behaviour. It's all in your imagination.

That's probably a fair assumption, but an assumption none the less. He is not the first player to struggle, he might never come good for us but I don't remember him missing training sessions etc so seems he is at least putting in there.

I don't really want to believe it either but he undoubtedly has the talent to be best 22 and he isn't injured or carrying a niggle so unfortunately it does appear to be a mental thing.

There may be something else though, Sylvia has always had the reputation of being a bit lazy and non-committed but it's getting to be a bit of a pisstake now, the year he's had is even worse than what you may expect from a slightly lazy senior player.

If he had an attitude problem and was petulant like you guys imagine, we would have delisted him already. No AFL club would stand for that sort of behaviour. It's all in your imagination.

The fact we haven't sacked Simpson already sort of goes against that. Obviously I don't actually know the ins and outs of how AFL clubs work but I'd be surprised if they were that cold and merciless with players who have attitude problems. If he has indeed been acting out of order I think the club would give him a few chances before simply cutting him loose.

I've written a fairly in depth assessment of his game in the WAFL thread on this board, but let me ask the sychophantic, know-nothing "SELECT SYLVIA NAOW" brigade on this board this question...

When you are a 150 game AFL player who is coming West for a fresh start, and you have screwed it up so far, yet you have a massive chance for selection in the upcoming week, and you're playing on the ball, and your ruckmen are absolutely dominating...

Wouldn't you, JUST ONCE in the entire game, hit a ruck contest at FULL PACE in front of your opponent with some real intent on getting the pill? JUST ONCE IN THE ENTIRE ****ING GAME?

Well, he didn't.

No, he wasn't tagged, (such was the respect that Monaghan showed him), he was hardly even manned up in the true sense of the word. He was just lazy and disinterested.

Simpson was publicly sanctioned by the club. Nothing of any sort has happened to Sylvia. According to the club it's a fitness issue.

His "bad attitude" is completely in the imagination of bigfooty posters until proven otherwise.

My mother won't hear a bad word about me either.
I hope you got her some new hearing aid batteries for Mothers Day.

Such a shame you've been away, you would have livened up the derby banter thread.

I hope you got her some new hearing aid batteries for Mothers Day.

Such a shame you've been away, you would have livened up the derby banter thread.

Yah reckon?

The banter was that way because that is how the powers that be wanted it.

Family friendly site and all that bullshit.:rolleyes:

Like a Bunnings safety meeting where they praise the virtues of JSA's, when everybody else knows that they are only there to protect idiots from themselves.

I've written a fairly in depth assessment of his game in the WAFL thread on this board, but let me ask the sychophantic, know-nothing "SELECT SYLVIA NAOW" brigade on this board this question...

Please, spare me ...

We're not idiots, we can identify that his actual form/attitude is not very good. He seemingly just doesn't want to play WAFL. But we know he can be a genuinely good AFL player, and we desperately need to improve the side. The risk vs reward is worth it in my opinion. With the challenge/excitement of playing AFL, he might rise to the occasion.

But I guess you're happy to just meander along with the same depth players who have proven they don't really make much difference to the side. Sheridan has clearly outperformed Sylvia and is more deserving of selection, but if we bring Sheridan in ... what is he likely to do? Not much. I doubt Sylvia would do any worse, but he might do a lot better.

Personally, I would just select him because it would seem the only way that we are going to get anything out of him. That really isn't the best way to do things, and I'm 100% sure Ross won't do it ... but if we don't get Sylvia into the seniors, then we are faced with the waste of a genuinely capable player.

I think the coaching staff has to wear at least some of the blame for this situation. Not every player is the same upstairs in the way they react to disappointment. He should have been selected against Essendon. If this happened, there's every chance he would be cemented in the seniors and this would all be a non-issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson was publicly sanctioned by the club. Nothing of any sort has happened to Sylvia. According to the club it's a fitness issue.

His "bad attitude" is completely in the imagination of bigfooty posters until proven otherwise.

RTB did criticise Sylvia on the radio just before he got suspended for 2 weeks, which is pretty public.

Also, people on this board are saying Sylvia has an attitude problem because he has had an attitude problem throughout his entire career, a problem that was incredibly public at that. It isn't an issue the posters here have randomly made up in their heads.

Please, spare me ...

We're not idiots,

Highly debatable considering the following tripe.

we can identify that his actual form/attitude is not very good. He seemingly just doesn't want to play WAFL. But we know he can be a genuinely good AFL player, and we desperately need to improve the side. The risk vs reward is worth it in my opinion. With the challenge/excitement of playing AFL, he might rise to the occasion.

But I guess you're happy to just meander along with the same depth players who have proven they don't really make much difference to the side. Sheridan has clearly outperformed Sylvia and is more deserving of selection, but if we bring Sheridan in ... what is he likely to do? Not much. I doubt Sylvia would do any worse, but he might do a lot better.

Personally, I would just select him because it would seem the only way that we are going to get anything out of him. That really isn't the best way to do things, and I'm 100% sure Ross won't do it ... but if we don't get Sylvia into the seniors, then we are faced with the waste of a genuinely capable player.

I think the coaching staff has to wear at least some of the blame for this situation. Not every player is the same upstairs in the way they react to disappointment. He should have been selected against Essendon. If this happened, there's every chance he would be cemented in the seniors and this would all be a non-issue.

So you would play him, after yet another miserable and embarrassing display today, JUST BECAUSE HE IS COLIN SYLVIA?

You know what, that is Sylvia's opinion too from what I can see. He thinks that he deserves a game from his reputation alone.

Well f*** him!!

What message does that send to the Brady Grey's of the squad who busted their guts out today, got smashed big time, but came back on the field and continued to contribute?

What does it do to team unity, values, discipline, morale and committment?

Colin Sylvia can go and get f***ed.

He'll get a game when he earns one.

We'll never know now, but it could have easily gone the other way.

If he'd been given a spot after his first half decent WAFL game (I watched that game and he still went missing for large parts of the 2nd half) it could have just reinforced his sense of entitlement and led to the same inconsistent performances he was renowned for at Melbourne.

At least this way if he forces his way in he's going to be hungrier than he ever has been in his career. The ball is in Sylvia's court now, he can either discover that hunger or fade into obscurity.

We'll never know now, but it could have easily gone the other way.

If he'd been given a spot after his first half decent WAFL game (I watched that game and he still went missing for large parts of the 2nd half) it could have just reinforced his sense of entitlement and led to the same inconsistent performances he was renowned for at Melbourne.

At least this way if he forces his way in he's going to be hungrier than he ever has been in his career. The ball is in Sylvia's court now, he can either discover that hunger or fade into obscurity.

So much this, really easy to see this happening so I'm glad we've gone with the hardheaded approach even if it's hurting us. The alternative which you describe is much worse since it would be directly affecting our performances.

Just joined and I'm getting this vibe that some think that Sylvia deserves a game.

Who isn't setting the world on fire in the WAFL, has had Ross Lyon publicly said in a roundabout way he needs to work harder and Pavlich has said something along similar lines.

Bit disappointing really, Fremantle as a club has come so far. Yet people seem to want to go back to the days where we would be excited about a Des Headlands inclusion mainly because it was Des Headland, not because he ever really played well.

My only hope for Sylvia is we are building up his fitness and we are currently over training him which means he is buggered for WAFL games.

That could explain him looking lethargic at games, because you would think he would have known that 2-3 good games would have got him a game in the AFL and if that does not motivate him what would.

My only hope for Sylvia is we are building up his fitness and we are currently over training him which means he is buggered for WAFL games.

That could explain him looking lethargic at games, because you would think he would have known that 2-3 good games would have got him a game in the AFL and if that does not motivate him what would.

He must be pulling iron ore trains then.

Seriously, over-training or not, you'd reckon that he'd hit at least ONE stoppage with a bit of purpose.

Sylvia has a very high opinion of Sylvia. It's obvious in how he conducts himself at team huddles, the things he says and his demeanour when addressed by WAFL coaches and team mates. IMO he believes that he is above them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Colin Sylvia - Joins Freo as Free Agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back