Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that Pendles, White and a few others that I can't remember also had hip surgery at the end of the season. They are up about, Treloar's must have been more serious or is it due to combo of hip and groin?

Majority got hip scraps, so shaving of the hip i think. Treloars was way more complex then its thought to have been,

Did not follow Balme at Geelong but now he is back at Collingwood. I have Noticed he never 100% commits to anything when he is Interviews
Didn't he get burnt in 2014 making predictions about players returning from injury? This is why he changed the injury report that came out on the club video last year to short, medium or long term recovery.

It has to be a concern that its almost February and Treloar still isn't in full training. That has to effect his chances of putting his best footy on the park when the season begins. Let's hope he starts full training soon.

So is there a list of who is injured right now? / Who is not in full training?

*Treloar
*Scharenberg

????

I'm expecting a really big year from Elliott. If he can become the CONSISTENT 50+ goal kicking forward we want him to be then it will be a big part of where we end up this year.

I read today of his 'serious groin injury that hampered his season', when I thought at the start his doctor just recommended he get a clean up. And that he did it early so he could start pre-season day one.

Something fishy going on.
Pretty common knowledge that AT's injury hampered his 2015. OP actually fits the bill given that it's reasonably serious, but can still be played through if neccessary.

Luke Ball was never the same after his OP, lost a lot of speed and agility. In his final years he couldn't make the distance from 40 metres out in front of goal if you remember. Had to change his play style a bit but he still ended up a good player.
Ball was playing close to (but not quite) career best footy towards the end of 2010 and in 2011. His issues toward the end of his career stemmed from the knee reco and back injuries, the latter which finished him off completely.

Karnezis just floundered in his time with Collingwood, I wouldn't say either were huge success stories... yes Ball played in a premiership, but the OP had a big impact on his career.
Karnezis would likely have failed at Collingwood even if he didn't have OP in hindsight. It's certainly not the primary reason for his failure to establish himself as an AFL player.
Balls career was impacted by OP the same way Judd's was. Temporarily.
It's disappointing news to hear but obviously way too early to be positive or negative about Treloar's prospects. I wonder how much of an impact it had in GWS deciding to trade Treloar/Treloar deciding to leave if any.
It wouldn't have impacted their decision at all.

*Treloar
*Scharenberg

????

I'm expecting a really big year from Elliott. If he can become the CONSISTENT 50+ goal kicking forward we want him to be then it will be a big part of where we end up this year.

50 goals is a massive ask. When was the last time any of our forwards kicked more than 50 in a year?

Based on what my physio Andrew Wallis — also head physio of the St Kilda football club — has told me, Osteitis Pubis is a generalised term for groin injuries, and as such, Balme's comment doesn't really tell us a whole lot outside of what Treloar had already mentioned, minus the tag.

It is understandable if they are being overly cautious. Let's hope he is indeed making sure steps towards a full recovery, and that he rejoins the main group before the end of January.

50 goals is a massive ask. When was the last time any of our forwards kicked more than 50 in a year?

It's not impossible.

Here's a list of the players that kicked more than 50 last season.

de0c6fe2ca.png

Realistically we need at least one player inside this top 10 list if we want to achieve big things with the modern state of the game and Jamie Elliott is the only one of our players I can see doing it.
Cloke seems to have absolutely lost his touch from his career best seasons and can we really rely on him to be our prime target with his kicking ability? Best case scenario we get him to draw 2-3 defenders AWAY from the goalsquare (not inside it like last year) and we let our crumbers do the work which should be easier than last year with Howe / Treloar / Aish potentially rotating forward not to mention Macaffer coming back as a forward.

And hey, if Tory Dickson can do it, who's to say Elliott can't?

I feel Balme was very UnCommited with his Answers. They where all Maybe's
Balme has an extremely long history of half baked non answers.
He says things like on KBs show that can be taken with a grain of salt

It's not impossible.
Here's a list of the players that kicked more than 50 last season.

de0c6fe2ca.png

Realistically we need at least one player inside this top 10 list if we want to achieve big things with the modern state of the game and Jamie Elliott is the only one of our players I can see doing it.
Cloke seems to have absolutely lost his touch from his career best seasons and can we really rely on him to be our prime target with his kicking ability? Best case scenario we get him to draw 2-3 defenders AWAY from the goalsquare (not inside it like last year) and we let our crumbers do the work which should be easier than last year with Howe / Treloar / Aish potentially rotating forward not to mention Macaffer coming back as a forward.
And hey, if Tory Dickson can do it, who's to say Elliott can't?
I'd settle for a bunch of players in the 30 - 40+ range. Say, Elliott, Cloke, Fasolo and perhaps one more? Swan? Broomy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Treloar
*Scharenberg

????

Howe

I certainly agree with the latter part of your points here, but the problem is that if we consistently DON'T go to Cloke, that becomes just as obvious as when we were always bombing it to him from 50 metres away. For better or worse, he really has to be a key part of our goal-kicking tally if we are to make significant steps this year. The key is to work the ball into him, and hopefully Howe, Elliot, Fasolo, etc. with a lot less predictability and a lot more accuracy and speed. If those other guys take up a lot more of the scoring pressure from Cloke, and he can use his running ability and good hands more, this should help his confidence when kicking for goal - and for Clokey it is SO much about his mindset when kicking for goal.

Balme has an extremely long history of half baked non answers.
He says things like on KBs show that can be taken with a grain of salt

Except him Blasting KB over Treloar and His Stance on Aish.

He is not really worth Listening to for Pies News as he gives nothing away

It has to be a concern that its almost February and Treloar still isn't in full training. That has to effect his chances of putting his best footy on the park when the season begins. Let's hope he starts full training soon.

The boy barely got on the training track at all in 2015 and ran 2nd in the BnF to an old flame of ours, H.Shaw.

Imagine what he will produce when fully fit, good on the club for taking a long term approach with Treloar. He's 22 years old, no point rushing him back. Get him fully fit and he will produce top shelf footy for the Collingwood FC for the next 10 years. Some people need to get a grip.

The boy barely got on the training track at all in 2015 and ran 2nd in the BnF to an old flame of ours, H.Shaw.

Imagine what he will produce when fully fit, good on the club for taking a long term approach with Treloar. He's 22 years old, no point rushing him back. Get him fully fit and he will produce top shelf footy for the Collingwood FC for the next 10 years. Some people need to get a grip.

I'm not criticising the club or Treloars treatment. I'm just stating its not ideal from an important player and may impact his form this year.

Does anyone know or can provide info about how hip surgery works with OP?

I understand the hip-groin connection having battled OP for a while myself, but what would be done in a surgery on the hip?

I'm not criticising the club or Treloars treatment. I'm just stating its not ideal from an important player and may impact his form this year.

True but also you Don't want Re-Injure him.

I am expecting a Slow Start for Treloar but will get better after every game until he is 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back