Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball was playing close to (but not quite) career best footy towards the end of 2010 and in 2011. His issues toward the end of his career stemmed from the knee reco and back injuries, the latter which finished him off completely.

Karnezis would likely have failed at Collingwood even if he didn't have OP in hindsight. It's certainly not the primary reason for his failure to establish himself as an AFL player.
Balls career was impacted by OP the same way Judd's was. Temporarily.

It wouldn't have impacted their decision at all.

I think it's been generally considered as a fact (in the football community) that Luke Ball lost a lot of speed and agility after his OP, his kicking penetration also went to shit even before his ACL and back injuries.. All those things are common for someone who had OP, which results in the groin becoming tight and inflamed.

There was something wrong with Karnezis, everyone could see he had the talent to become an AFL player but there was something holding him back. It's not out of the question OP played a role in that and hurt his physical output... We'll probably never know though.

If I was the GWS list management team and I had to decide which players to keep and which to trade, on going medical conditions would play a big factor in that decision. Major injuries can also be a big catalyst for players deciding to change clubs.

Treating OP has improved in recent times so hopefully the surgery has cleaned a lot of things up because we really need Treloar to reach an All Australian level if we're to make an impact in the finals in the next few years, the kid could easily reach top 5 midfielders in the game if his body lets him.

I'm not criticising the club or Treloars treatment. I'm just stating its not ideal from an important player and may impact his form this year.
Its not ideal for any surgery in the off season, You'd rather go through healthy and good but it rarely happens. He'll start skills in about 2 weeks.

Does anyone know or can provide info about how hip surgery works with OP?

I understand the hip-groin connection having battled OP for a while myself, but what would be done in a surgery on the hip?

Most likely has femoroacetabular impingement with or without label tear.. Very common in athletes and many afl players have that injury and require surgery . ( think seeds last season) . Otherwise could be a hip flexor requiring repair

If it is fai then I'd say labral tear with it as he has required longer recovery.. Usually pretty reasonable recovery if you just have the bone scrape

Most likely has femoroacetabular impingement with or without label tear.. Very common in athletes and many afl players have that injury and require surgery . ( think seeds last season) . Otherwise could be a hip flexor requiring repair

If it is fai then I'd say labral tear with it as he has required longer recovery.. Usually pretty reasonable recovery if you just have the bone scrape
change ur username and avatar ok

How on earth would you know what program Swan was on or how many miles he did?
So it's fine for you to moan about how Treloar's preseason is being ruined despite you having no information about his program or how many miles he's done, but not ok for Jasper to point out that Swan seemed to be on a similar program with the same amount of info?

So it's fine for you to moan about how Treloar's preseason is being ruined despite you having no information about his program or how many miles he's done, but not ok for Jasper to point out that Swan seemed to be on a similar program with the same amount of info?

Only lukem would not anything close to that

I'm "moaning" about Treloar having Osteitis Pubis which is potentially dehabilitating injury, his long term prospect is the main concern.. you normally fail to see the key point.

Swan also has about 8 years worth of preseasons under his belt compared to Treloar, and was recovering from a different set of injuries... comparing the two is silly at best. How would you know Swan was a similar program? You're both just making complete guesses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm "moaning" about Treloar having Osteitis Pubis which is potentially dehabilitating injury, his long term prospect is the main concern.. you normally fail to see the key point.

Swan also has about 8 years worth of preseasons under his belt compared to Treloar, and was recovering from a different set of injuries... comparing the two is silly at best. How would you know Swan was a similar program? You're both just making complete guesses

So you think Hine made a Mistake:rolleyes:

Wheres the proof that he has OP? What... because he had a injury in the similar spot? stop making crap up.

Plenty of players have had osteitis pubis and made full recoveries. You've cherry picked Ball as an example, who was far older than Treloar when he got OP, and used him as an example of a player who's career was affected by it despite having no actual evidence of it being the case. I could cherry pick another OP sufferer in Judd, who went on to win several best and fairests and a Brownlow after recovering. You're making out as if this is a career changing injury when it's a common injury that generally doesn't have long term negative effects if treated properly.
Treloar has 5 preseasons under his belt too. Do you really think at this point of his career a restricted preseason is going to have the same effect as it would to someone who has only had one or two? Or someone like Witts or Seedsman who had missed consecutive preseasons?

And comparing Swan and Treloar is fine. Yeah they had different injuries, but all Swan did for the bulk of the 2015 preseason was run laps, the same as Adam has been doing all preseason. The only issue Adam will have heading in to the season is adjusting to the Collingwood play style, same as Ball in 2010. He's probably got more miles in his legs from all the laps he's been running than 3/4 of the squad.

The "key point" I was making is that this time last year Swan was only running laps and easing into drills. I know this because I went to several training sessions this time last year and people were raising the same concerns as they are about Treloar now. I never compared their respective injuries, only that the club appears to taking a similar cautious approach. You should remember this as you were having the same digs this time last year.

The "key point" I was making is that this time last year Swan was only running laps and easing into drills. I know this because I went to several training sessions this time last year and people were raising the same concerns as they are about Treloar now. I never compared their respective injuries, only that the club appears to taking a similar cautious approach. You should remember this as you were having the same digs this time last year.

So what point are you trying to make, that a full preseason isn't important?

We all hope Treloar has an excellent season but that doesn't change the fact his slow recovery and groin injuries are a concern. He should still be able to perform to a high level it's just a question of whether he can get to his best with his groins and a limited preseason.

It could be the difference between a top 5 BnF finish and winning the BnF/making AA

and Swan had a Slow Start to the Season but was lot better in the 2nd Half of the Season

Kappa Logic
WE MUST GET TRELOAR OR IT WILL BE A MASSIVE STEP BACKWARDS!!!!!

*Gets Treloar

HES INJURED AND NOW HIS CAREER IS RUNIED BLAH BLAH.

So what point are you trying to make, that a full preseason isn't important?

We all hope Treloar has an excellent season but that doesn't change the fact his slow recovery and groin injuries are a concern. He should still be able to perform to a high level it's just a question of whether he can get to his best with his groins and a limited preseason.

It could be the difference between a top 5 BnF finish and winning the BnF/making AA
My point is that it's a tailored pre-season hopefully with the intent of having him play a whole season without the discomfort he had all 2015. It's not a Ben Reid style pre-season washout or a Freeman style setback. We have faded badly the past two years and I think this is why the medicos aren't throwing him in the deep end too early lest he limps home in the second half.

and Swan had a Slow Start to the Season but was lot better in the 2nd Half of the Season

Swan had a better year because he was injury free. The club is trying to ensure Treloar starts 2016 injury free as well. It's a hell of a lot more important than not training with the main group in January. He seems to be doing a lot of running so general fitness shouldn't be an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back