NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

Jog my memory, was there any evidence of racism found?
You mean in the Do Better Report?

Here’s a couple of passages from the forward. I’m no expert in the report, but given the matter of fact language and that the language also makes it clear that the Collingwood club acknowledges it had issues with racism, I’m not sure questioning the evidence is the right approach.

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpeg
    IMG_6166.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 15
Our Indigenous players & current staff members all seem happy.

As for this Cleaver person, he'd supposedly be happy too if the Pies had handed him $250,000 over things allegedly said which found no breaches & no laws broken & no further action to be taken when investigated by both an internal review & external expert, the Vic Police & the AFL Integrity Unit.

And now the HS is reporting the Fair Work Commission investigation was unresolved only because the club wouldn't pay him the $250,000 Cleaver wanted for the allegations to go away ..

Let's see what comes out of the court case in August & we hear both sides of the story before assuming we all know what actually happened.

I wasn't there. Were you?
You don’t own them, shame on you.

This article says it's over Instagram posts.

"Related to the conduct within the proceeding of the contravention of general protections."

The act of making baseless allegations against Craig Kelly to reporters could be construed as a form of defamation.

You don’t own them, shame on you.
Do we own our grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, hometown, spouses, children, employer, school, priest, doctor, carspot, football club etc? If not, gonna have to start using "the". The wife will not be impressed.

"Related to the conduct within the proceeding of the contravention of general protections."

The act of making baseless allegations against Craig Kelly to reporters could be construed as a form of defamation.
Yeah, but the reporters are just lifting everything from his Application to the court. Someone suggested he could be sued for defamation on that basis, I'm just not sure that's correct.

As stated previously, I’d be the last bloke to defend collingwood/Ned, but this reeks of a money grab from the get go. Pathetic.
Hmmm… it’s seems like he’s lost his job unfairly and wants compensation for lost income. Which is fair enough and why there is a process for it.

Now if the process has found that he isn’t entitled to compensation there’s a reason for that as well.

And he’s within his rights to leak all this information if he wants. His rationale might well be that he’s bitter and has nothing to lose now.

We can only look at the facts of the story though.

1. He lost his job.
2. He made a claim to fair work and it was rejected.
3. He made claims about the Collingwood CEO.
4. Collingwood have a recent history of racism as discovered in the recent ‘Do Better’ report.
5. The AFL like to sweep controversies under the carpet when it suits them - drug testing policies, Clarkson racism scandal, concussion protocol consistencies.

Hmmm… it’s seems like he’s lost his job unfairly and wants compensation for lost income. Which is fair enough and why there is a process for it.

Now if the process has found that he isn’t entitled to compensation there’s a reason for that as well.

And he’s within his rights to leak all this information if he wants. His rationale might well be that he’s bitter and has nothing to lose now.

1. He lost his job.
4. Collingwood have a recent history of racism as discovered in the recent ‘Do Better’ report.
5. The AFL like to sweep controversies under the carpet when it suits them - drug testing policies, Clarkson racism scandal, concussion protocol consistencies.
I think you've left out key facts of the story, and added a couple of points irrelevant to this case.

Missing facts: the DD processes and reviews already conducted by the club and on the club by external bodies in relation to this particular case.

Irrelevant points: CFC history has no bearing on the specific accusations in this particular case, and their veracity or otherwise. The AFL has a dodgy history indeed, however, do you sugfest they have the weight to push around a legal proceeding?

I think you've left out key facts of the story, and added a couple of points irrelevant to this case.

Missing facts: the DD processes and reviews already conducted by the club and on the club by external bodies in relation to this particular case.

Irrelevant points: CFC history has no bearing on the specific accusations in this particular case, and their veracity or otherwise. The AFL has a dodgy history indeed, however, do you sugfest they have the weight to push around a legal proceeding?

I’m not linking the facts of Collingwoods recent history in regards to racism and this one. Just pointing out what has happened recently in this work place.

It’s for greater minds than mind to work through whether the culture may have enabled any of the alleged to have occurred. I’m not close enough to it.
If the culture has not changed within the organisation then it remains a possibility. I’d expect the CEO to be driving this change. Interestingly it’s the CEO who is under investigation. For me it’s pretty cut and dried.
Either the culture has been changed and driven by the CEO and there’s nothing to see here, or it hasn’t and the allegations may come to light as actually occurred.
In the case of the latter, it would be an absolute indictment on the club, not just the CEO. If the former, the club should look to demand recompense in damage to reputation from its former employee.

I’m also not suggesting the AFL have interfered with any external legal proceeding here either. Only that they have been quite proactive in sweeping matters that may tarnish the reputation of their brand under the carpet in the last couple of years. This is a matter that could potentially tarnish the AFL brand.

1. He lost his job.

You don’t really get the concept of facts, do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad if true.
I am not thinking those players would be culturally safe.

Send SOY in, he can fix them up.

This Institutionalised Racism has to stop.

Disgusting.
Feel for them players.
Where is there any evidence of players not feeling culturally safe?

Do you think Leon Davis & Andrew Krakouer would be silent if that were the case? They work at the club every day.

I’m not linking the facts of Collingwoods recent history in regards to racism and this one. Just pointing out what has happened recently in this work place.

It’s for greater minds than mind to work through whether the culture may have enabled any of the alleged to have occurred. I’m not close enough to it.
If the culture has not changed within the organisation then it remains a possibility. I’d expect the CEO to be driving this change. Interestingly it’s the CEO who is under investigation. For me it’s pretty cut and dried.
Either the culture has been changed and driven by the CEO and there’s nothing to see here, or it hasn’t and the allegations may come to light as actually occurred.
In the case of the latter, it would be an absolute indictment on the club, not just the CEO. If the former, the club should look to demand recompense in damage to reputation from its former employee.

I’m also not suggesting the AFL have interfered with any external legal proceeding here either. Only that they have been quite proactive in sweeping matters that may tarnish the reputation of their brand under the carpet in the last couple of years. This is a matter that could potentially tarnish the AFL brand.
What investigation is the current CFC CEO undergoing at this moment?

I do sense a schadenfreude hope in your posts that Kelly has done wrong.

What investigation is the current CFC CEO undergoing at this moment?

I do sense a schadenfreude hope in your posts that Kelly has done wrong.
I’d be happy if the truth is revealed either way but I have a feeling we will never get to the bottom of it all.

Spokesperson for Pies has come out and said they support Kelly 100%, but don't want to pay $100s of thousands in compensation. Yet, still no denial of the allegations...

We'll never find out I suspect. Pies will back down and settle this in the end by throwing $$$ at this.

Spokesperson for Pies has come out and said they support Kelly 100%, but don't want to pay $100s of thousands in compensation. Yet, still no denial of the allegations...

We'll never find out I suspect. Pies will back down and settle this in the end by throwing $$$ at this.
There is a directions hearing in the Federal Circuit and Family Court for August 27.

Addressing the allegations on Wednesday, Mr Browne said they were "very serious", and that the club would defend them in court.

"The allegations are not new to us, they were made initially under the whistleblower policy, which was one of the recommendations of the Do Better report," he said.

Mr Browne said the allegations had been investigated "very thoroughly by our head of people and culture", before he referred the matter to a third party who "confirmed the findings".

"I also referred those factual findings to an external expert in workplace relations. The findings were that there was no illegal conduct identified in the complaint," he said.

"Following that, the complainant lodged an application in the Fair Work Commission (This is when the complainant asked for $250,000 to make the allegations go away)… There was a mediation, the mediation was unsuccessful in resolving the matter, and as a consequence of that, the complainant has now issued the proceedings in the Federal Court."

When questioned on Mr Cleaver's employment, Mr Browne said his termination was due to conduct unrelated to the complaint.

"He was brought on as a cultural affairs officer for six months … he did some very good work in establishing our Barrawarn [Indigenous employment and education] program," he said.

"And as a result of some other conduct which came to light as a result of me examining his role in the club, his role was terminated, I terminated it."

The club is going to court to defend themselves against these allegations. Would you prefer they detail their defence through the media first? 🙄

First thing, you've quoted the statement from Wednesday. Not yesterday. Keep up.

Second thing, yes. Generally individuals or companies defending proceedings deny the allegations! They are conveniently saying they weren't "illegal conduct". Sounds like the conduct occurred to me.
The statement is the statement. They are defending their case at the hearing in August. That's when the club will tell their side of the story. That's what usually happens, it's not unusual.

Your comment is asking for them to pay compensation for something which has gone through a variety of different investigations and found nothing to answer for.

I suggest you keep up.

The statement is the statement. They are defending their case at the hearing in August. That's when the club will tell their side of the story. That's what usually happens, it's not unusual.

Your comment is asking for them to pay compensation for something which has gone through a variety of different investigations and found nothing to answer for.

I suggest you keep up.

No I suggest you keep up.

This article does not refer to the club media statement. It is a statement subsequent from a "spokesperson" with comments not in the club statement from earlier in the week.

They are defending the unfair dismissal proceedings. They are not defending the alleged conduct occurred.

If you're going to reply to a post, it's common sense to actually know what the hell you're talking about.

No I suggest you keep up.

This article does not refer to the club media statement. It is a statement subsequent from a "spokesperson" with comments not in the club statement from earlier in the week.

They are defending the unfair dismissal proceedings. They are not defending the alleged conduct occurred.

If you're going to reply to a post, it's common sense to actually know what the hell you're talking about.
Club Statement. On the club's website. 🥴

Collingwood Statement
A statement from the Collingwood Football Club.

By collingwoodfc.com.au
3 days ago

Collingwood is aware of allegations made by a former staff member.

Collingwood continues to work hard on our commitment of ensuring our environment and workplace is welcoming, safe and inclusive at all times, on and off the field.

We take all matters raised seriously and when the former staff member raised matters internally in March this year, the Club looked into those concerns in line with our organisation’s workplace policies and procedures.

In addition to the internal process which took place, an external expert was engaged to review the findings. Both processes found no breach of workplace law.

Following the conclusion of both processes, the former staff member made further allegations to Victoria Police, which examined them and determined not to take any further action.

The former staff member was employed by Collingwood for a period of six months. The employment ended for reasons unrelated to their concerns. Following their departure, the former staff member lodged an application with the Fair Work Commission but the matter was not resolved.

While it is unfortunate this situation has not been resolved, the Club believes that it has acted lawfully and intends to defend the matter.

Just repeating myself at this point. Keep up.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly involved in racism & homophobia allegations lodged in court documents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back