News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

If you let Merrett run free, he will hurt you.
What hurts more is that his great uncle is Thorold Merrett.
He should be in black and white.
We could have drafted Merrett and Cripps.
But we chose Scharenberg and Freeman instead.
That is a coach killer.

When we talk about Collingwood's greatest players, let's not forget Bobby Rose:

Hard to believe it's been 21 years since Bobby left us.

Never forget.

So just a random post. Saw on social media little kids getting signatures of players at a kids day. I heard them say please and thank you to the players. As a former primary school teacher this makes me so happy as manners was always number 1 for me with the class but not with the parents. Hopefully things are changing.

We could still have picked him - he wasn't on our radar.
Sorry to intrude but funnily enough a family member of mine who's worked for your mob quite a while now (life member) actually recommended to your list boss at the time to take Cripps with your pick. He was told not a chance.

He also tried convincing them to take Bolton and English and was disregarded on them too. There were a couple of other names from over in WA he told me about too but I forget. Those 3 were the main ones he waffles on about.

Sure there's a million hits and misses teams would ponder but thank christ for the Blues that he wasn't convincing enough at the time. Apparently you guys were very keen on Hardeman last year too if he fell to your pick but North grabbed him.

Edit* disregarded is probably not the right word. The team went in a different direction would be a fairer description.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude but funnily enough a family member of mine who's worked for your mob quite a while now (life member) actually recommended to your list boss at the time to take Cripps with your pick. He was told not a chance.

He also tried convincing them to take Bolton and English and was disregarded on them too. There were a couple of other names from over in WA he told me about too but I forget. Those 3 were the main ones he waffles on about.

Sure there's a million hits and misses teams would ponder but thank christ for the Blues that he wasn't convincing enough at the time. Apparently you guys were very keen on Hardeman last year too if he fell to your pick but North grabbed him.

Edit* disregarded is probably not the right word. The team went in a different direction would be a fairer description.

Carlton has “earned” more number 1 draft picks than any other club. Among other things that sustained period of shitness points to an elite level of incompetence at the draft table.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bolton and English were both gone before our first pick in that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that too. IT makes me wonder - how come Cripps has managed to overcome a poor tank to become an inside mid but for some reason Reef has not been able to?
Good question.

Are they being trained for different positions?

Also, Cripps has had a few more pre seasons under his belt.

Hoping it's not effort.

cripps might have more talent...
You can have all the talent in the world, but if you dont build a tank or have the workrate, it means nothing
You can not as much talent as others, but a professional outlet become a top tier mid because workrate and fitness outweighs everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back