Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a premiership player. You know, a best 23 player that won your team a GF. And you think he was worth not only giving him away, but also giving away picks as well??
Your opinion is not worth reading anymore…. Sorry.

Fun fact. It never really was lol

I’m sure it’s not the first time you have felt like that.

Oh, and your spin is comical. Your last opinion was that Ginnivan would not have been traded if he played like he did yesterday. But all along, you were spinning his trade was because of his off field antics and attitude.

So now, that attitude would have been tolerated if he played like he did yesterday, even with his attitude??
Hypocrisy..
More latitude is always given to the more talented, as Mick Malthouse once said. Which is why Swan was never traded.

And another thing.. can one of you knowledgeable tactics types explain why we constantly handball into trouble? It's been doing my head in the past few weeks. Watching on TV you can see that they should not handball to player X as that player is already being sweated on by an opponent ... but then they do it anyway, like it's part of the game plan and they are on auto pilot. The oppo players seem to know what's happening before i happens!
Mate, the entire Pies has not played their usual selves and system for 6 weeks or so.

There are glimpse of it, but the last month and a bit Pies look to be experimenting changing their style. The Bombers and Cats games Pies looked no way near the same as their 2023 selves. The pressure and positioning of players were very different.

If I had to guess Fly and the coaching box were trying out new style and hoping to pull wins. The season is a write off might as well try something new... but shame Reef didn't get a look much.

But you’ve been backing them for at least 10 years, so you should have made a fortune.

I don’t really gamble

But I was quite confident Hawthorn would beat us yesterday so made a small bet because I felt it was incredibly easy money

I don’t really gamble

But I was quite confident Hawthorn would beat us yesterday so made a small bet because I felt it was incredibly easy money
Thanks for sharing.
Don’t spend all your money at once.

This time next year Nth Melbourne will be beating us, with Schultz having minimal impact, while Ginnivan is in the top five of Hawthorn’s B&F, and you’ll still be maintaining that the club did the right thing in clearing Ginnivan and trading for Schultz.
I have no issue with Ginnivan leaving the pies, He wanted to leave and play for the Hawks. I have no issue trading for Shultz.
My issue is we got a mars bar for the Ginni trade and gave up the farm for Shultz.

From Anabelle on EBW:

Date Posted: 16:31 21/07/24 Sun
Author: Annabelle
Author Host/IP: 139-216-204-154.sta.dodo.net.au / 139.216.204.154
Subject: Reflections on a demoralising loss to a rising team.

It was probably fitting that the miserable day illuminated the miserable scoreboard in our relatively miserable season.

Technically speaking we’re in intensive care but with a barely fluttering pulse.

It was our last chance to convince the football world that we recover the mojo of last year but the young hungrier Hawks smashed us everywhere. For the duration of my Pie following days, this club has been a nemesis which has basically owned us regardless of the current fortunes of both teams when we play them. They built themselves up for this match again, while we left demoralised.

We all know how a confluence of factors has conspired against us but the intangibility of hunger is the one we can’t quantify. We lack the talent most other teams have but all the broken tackles, feeble chases and cluelessness writ large is not about natural endowments. Clearly, we are lazy and laconic and it’s infectious.

We lack leadership all over the ground and from our nominated group.

Nick’s exchange with Breust shows that he’s a footy thinker and that he cares. It surely won’t be long until he assumes the captaincy reins as the natives are not happy with the lack of leadership from the skipper. Sicily showed yet again what a great leader can do for his side. Typically, we made it easy for him.

It smacked of desperation that we had to select McStay so short on match practice but he acquitted himself all right and came through unscathed. Our limited talls is testament to our limited choices.

It was hard to pinpoint any winners yesterday. There were a few tries.

JDG showed some flickers of his brilliance but he’s a tad corpulent, hampered and he doesn’t offer defensive resistance.

The defence was as porous as Swiss cheese, while the forward line was dysfunctional. Our chief way to score seems to be to run the ball in and hope for the best. Lack of match fit personnel has not helped this division throughout the season.

But despite both the bookend sectors being well beaten, our problems essentially begin in the middle which is the conduit between both.

Ironically, they were worsened when we had some reinforcements return post the bye. Crisp and Nick had built some good connection but this has changed since Pendles has got back in there. While he usually has tidy numbers, he is being burnt by his opponents. The problem is that our former skipper cannot play anywhere other than in the midfield because of his lack of pace and overhead prowess restrict his effectiveness outside of the engine-room. We desperately need more depth and quality in this area of the ground.

Nick’s form has declined a bit due to the combined weight of taggers and having to operate inside which is not his forte. He’s at his best receiving from the blue-collar types shovelling it to him, or feeding off the intercept markers in defence and running forward. With our lack of intercepting this year, this productive source has dried up too. Thus, his effectiveness has dimmed despite him still racking up good numbers. It will negatively affect his Brownlow chances too.

One of the notable characteristics of the team this year is not only regarding how so few of improved but equally how many have regressed. All our defenders save for the industrious Noble during the first half of the season, have gone backwards at an alarming rate.

Kreuger has shown something and he always gives at least 100% but like many others succumbed to a head knock yesterday. Evidently our noggins are more fragile than those of our competitors because they manage to avoid HIA protocols when two heads clash.

Cameron is the other who’s played consistently all year and with Cox being injured he’s shouldered a heavy load. He is probably fatiguing now.

There were tackles not sticking everywhere, and the Hawks small forward moved the ball with impunity through their opponents.

Undoubtedly other teams know how to play us now and the uncontested marks disparity reflects this.

We lack pace, kicking skill and purpose and with a high number of players a shadow of their former selves, this is hardly surprising.

What can Fly do? There are no ready replacements as we have a soft underbelly;’ our depth is paper-thin.

Ginnivan has been a talking point after the game. I like others, was happy to see him traded because of his hubris and solipsistic nature. He can be a disruptive force. He gave off smart arse vibes from day one. The only regret is that like other deals our return was meagre. He is revelling in his schadenfreude at the moment but he has a long journey ahead and he won’t always travel along the primrose path.

Next week will be interesting with two recent premiers who appreciate that the destiny is often south after success in this compromised ‘competition’ battling it out to salvage their dignity.

Richmond fans have made friends with the woodwork again, while ours are baying for blood. What will the crowd be?

From Anabelle on EBW:

Date Posted: 16:31 21/07/24 Sun
Author: Annabelle
Author Host/IP: 139-216-204-154.sta.dodo.net.au / 139.216.204.154
Subject: Reflections on a demoralising loss to a rising team.

It was probably fitting that the miserable day illuminated the miserable scoreboard in our relatively miserable season.

Technically speaking we’re in intensive care but with a barely fluttering pulse.
What a great read. Loved the wordsmith here. Would like to see more of this persons posts.

One other point, We are easy to score against and have been all year. The only teams that have a worse against score are, WC, North and Richmond. We average, 88 points against. (14 goals a game) meaning we'd need to kick 13- 15 goals a game to just get over the line. (on average)
We fail to keep teams to low scores and any lead we do have is easily erroded within 10 minutes of teams playing attacking football.
We were 25 points up against Freo with 7 mins remaining. We allowed them to kick 33% of their entire score in the last 7 mins of the game, We have had 5 goal plus leads against Adelaid and Hawthorn resulted in us getting over the line by less than a goal.
And multiple games of zero or one goal quarters this year.

Cameron has been our best and most consistent player all year

Cameron has been a workhorse. Carried the load even against bigger opponents who can cross the centre line and bullock him around now. He has had little backup all season. Brilliant season by him and he is one who is entitled to be weary the backend of the season.

I get irritated when posters take pot shots at him.

I wish our midfield gave him better support at clearances.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue with Ginnivan leaving the pies, He wanted to leave and play for the Hawks. I have no issue trading for Shultz.
My issue is we got a mars bar for the Ginni trade and gave up the farm for Shultz.
He didnt want to leave. You hawked him around because Fly had had enough and wanted him out.

He didnt want to leave. You hawked him around because Fly had had enough and wanted him out.
… and not without cause.
You’ll tire of him too. He had quite a few good days with us, don’t forget; but in the end it was a matter of personality and fit.

It appears the club mortgaged the future on Macrae and Ash.

I would Macrae in the middle for each of the remaining 5 games. Even if he stinks it up, it's wont be worse than what we are currently doing out of the middle.

Same with Ash - just play him now with McStay as the two KP forwards with Cox rotating through the forward 50.

Agree, but I think Cox is done.

We have to let go of probably 3-4 players over 30 at the end of the year. Who would I move on?

Cox
Sidebottom
Mitchell

Then, alas, I’d consider a trade for one of the legends: Howe, Elliot, Pendlebury, Mihocek

Big that’s just me.

Otherwise I agree totally.

Finn, and then also McReery, Hill, J Daicos, others I want in the centre. Enough of Pendles, Crisp, N Daicos. I want Dean to play the rest of the year too. And I’ll go with Ash.

Otherwise we’ll topple over the cliff like lemmings super fast.

One thing that has not been discussed much is the amount of elite contested ball winning grunt that we have lost compared to 2023.

Mitchell injured/out
Adams gone/out
Degoey playing injured/below best

It was really obvious against the Hawks. They monstered us and took a huge amount of territory.

Our ability to attract quality free agents this off season (in the right areas) will determine if we can have 1 more crack with the statesmen on our list. It needs to be the sort of free agency Sydney had last year where they managed to find 3 quality inclusions on the cheap.

Unpleasant to watch at the moment but I am so grateful that we banked one last year. Teams had figured us out by the end of 2023 and we managed to grind 3 gutsy wins to bring home our 16th. I'd much prefer to rebuild off a flag than rebuild off 2 years of 'great efforts' with no ultimate success.

You forgot Grundy. 😂 I know he’s been gone a bit longer, and last year wins a lot of forgiveness. But he and Adams are playing great football for the Swans.

Adams and Ginnivan wouldn’t have made the slightest bit of difference today.The whole team is cooked,physically and mentally after two of the most exhilarating and draining seasons any team has had to play in recent times.

yeah, that’s nonesense.

I know we all tend to slip into black/white thinking, so it’s no big deal.

But they both would have made a difference. How big is a legitimate question. But not the “slightest bit” is just the slightest bit silly.

We have to let go of probably 3-4 players over 30 at the end of the year. Who would I move on?

Cox
Sidebottom
Mitchell

Then, alas, I’d consider a trade for one of the legends: Howe, Elliot, Pendlebury, Mihocek

Big that’s just me.

Finn, and then also McReery, Hill, J Daicos, others I want in the centre. Enough of Pendles, Crisp, N Daicos. I want Dean to play the rest of the year too. And I’ll go with Ash.

I'm not sure we'd get a first round pick for any of the 4 mentioned players. Unless we get a first round pick, then we are better off keeping them for one more year

Cox
Sidebottom
Mitchell

Big that’s just me.

Trade Howe, Elliott, Pendles or Checkers? 🥴

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back