List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022--> PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m just a bit over the free shot Hail Mary and maybe look at developing someone that has played football? The “developing” ruck position is grim imo.
Why does BigFooty hate the Category B rookie so much? You won't get a Cat B footballer that has any decent background in football because the rules of the Cat B spot are not designed for footballers, they're for cross-code converts. So you either have a player you take a chance on to develop or you take no one at all, and given there's no impact to the salary cap I don't see any benefit over not having anyone at all.

We have a spare Cat B spot available. May as well use it. If you can think of a half-decent ruck option to use our last Cat A spot on instead I'd like to hear it. Because it sounds like it's slim pickings there too.

Why does BigFooty hate the Category B rookie so much? You won't get a Cat B footballer that has any decent background in football because the rules of the Cat B spot are not designed for footballers, they're for cross-code converts. So you either have a player you take a chance on to develop or you take no one at all, and given there's no impact to the salary cap I don't see any benefit over not having anyone at all.

We have a spare Cat B spot available. May as well use it. If you can think of a half-decent ruck option to use our last Cat A spot on instead I'd like to hear it. Because it sounds like it's slim pickings there too.
We could have used the Cat B spot on Ashwin who has a footy background but we elected not to.

Markfs does not like this post!!

lol gee i'm embarassed that you thought of me when you saw the article. I hope you haven't seen those nude pics of me that I mistakenly released last week.

On a less serious note, I dont really care too much about speculating on talls with cat b's or even irish. I get a bit miffed when derek is relying on irishmen to supply us with marking talls. I think the only thing you can rely on the irish is that they get drunk...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the one game this year that Mcstay was forced to be first ruck he had 23 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 4 clearances and a goal.

After almost 10 years as a first ruck Grundy averaged 18 touches, 2.5 marks, 3.8 tackles, 5.5 clearances and .3 goals this year.

I think Grundy's influence is vastly overrated and conversely McStay is underrated as he has mostly played the non-flashy roles required of him.
That’s not the best sample size…

In the one game this year that Mcstay was forced to be first ruck he had 23 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 4 clearances and a goal.

After almost 10 years as a first ruck Grundy averaged 18 touches, 2.5 marks, 3.8 tackles, 5.5 clearances and .3 goals this year.

I think Grundy's influence is vastly overrated and conversely McStay is underrated as he has mostly played the non-flashy roles required of him.
I don’t disagree with the premise that Grundy’s contribution was overrated and that people will be surprised by how effective McStay will be for us but I’m not sure a sample of one game where McStay only got 10 hit outs proves your point.

I don’t disagree with the premise that Grundy’s contribution was overrated and that people will be surprised by how effective McStay will be for us but I’m not sure a sample of one game where McStay only got 10 hit outs proves your point.
Agree to an extent although McStay was always 2nd or 3rd in line wether in ruck or as a forward..

A bit like Lipinski. Look at him now.

.. .
On a less serious note, I dont really care too much about speculating on talls with cat b's or even irish. I get a bit miffed when derek is relying on irishmen to supply us with marking talls. I think the only thing you can rely on the irish is that they get drunk...
And fight

A Hine special

Interesting that there wasn't anything in the report about Guehrer playing AFL before committing to Volleyball - I assume that he has played footy at some level prior to now - pls pls somebody confirm that he has played a level of AFL footy

Just did an analysis of Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong player contract terms. This was based off Footywire data on current contracted player dates.

Carlton have 43 listed and have 92 years of forward contracts which equals a weighted contract average of 2.14 years per player. Also noting they have 12 players with 3+ year contracts signed.

Collingwood have 42 listed and have 85 years of Forward contracts which equates to 2.02 per Ave player. Pies have 11 players with 3+ years contract signed.

Interestingly Geelong have 42 listed player with only 65 years forward contracts committed to or an average of only 1.55 yrs per player. Also they only have 4 players with 3+ years contracts signed.

That to me says the the Cats are well placed to make movements and RFA deals.

Anyway just thought this was interesting.

I'm in the minority but I place very little value in hit outs unless they are "Gawn like" and give the mids a distinct advantage. Case in point, in the above game the tigers won hit outs 55 to 16 but the Lions won the clearances 46 to 40. I place much more value on a ruckman who can mark around the ground and be a threat when resting up forward.

Just did an analysis of Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong player contract terms. This was based off Footywire data on current contracted player dates.

Carlton have 43 listed and have 92 years of forward contracts which equals a weighted contract average of 2.14 years per player. Also noting they have 12 players with 3+ year contracts signed.

Collingwood have 42 listed and have 85 years of Forward contracts which equates to 2.02 per Ave player. Pies have 11 players with 3+ years contract signed.

Interestingly Geelong have 42 listed player with only 65 years forward contracts committed to or an average of only 1.55 yrs per player. Also they only have 4 players with 3+ years contracts signed.

That to me says the the Cats are well placed to make movements and RFA deals.

Anyway just thought this was interesting.
Geez, and one of these players on more than 3 years is Bowes!

I get it’s a free hit and no impact at all on the cap but our ruck stocks are poor, and the current set up I can only see last 1 or 2 more seasons, what’s next? We haven’t exactly been majorly successful with these free hits either.

Crossley was discussed earlier, if he wants it he could be more than handy imo. I guess we’ll have to wait to see how the year pans out across the state league and maybe there’s someone who pops up then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back