List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And free agents when a reasonable contract are a smart way to get good players in because you don’t give anything up for them.
Doedee is 26, therefore it's likely that he'll be seeking a long term, secure contract on substantial money. This might not suit our current circumstances as it will reduce the flexibility we have and may require as we look to transition the list across the next 2 years.

Although he's not a free agent this season, Nick Haynes may be an option for us to shore up our backline as well as get into the first round of the draft.

GWS currently hold picks 6 and 15. Haynes is reported to be on a heavily back-ended deal. Maybe there's a play where we sign him for 2024 and 2025 (with the majority of his salary being paid in 2025 owing to retirements at the end of 2024) and, as part of that arrangement, GWS send pick 15 our way too?

Kosi from hawks requests a trade to tigers. Should only cost them a pick in the 40s as Hawks haven’t been playing him

I was hoping we’d look into him… not as a forward but as a fullback cause he’s played there before and he has good hands
Yeah I thought he is one of those players we would look at no better or worse than a Frampton - Still, Doedee for me would be handy, great mark, quickish and a lot of courage, 26 or 27?

Kosi from hawks requests a trade to tigers. Should only cost them a pick in the 40s as Hawks haven’t been playing him

I was hoping we’d look into him… not as a forward but as a fullback cause he’s played there before and he has good hands
Kosi has good hands in the air but that is it.

He has zero ground ball game, hence why he can never stay in the side.

Doesn't look like anyone is going to request a trade to us
Plenty players would be still debating their careers, so things can happen late, during the trade period. So until we get through that trade week, anything is possible.

Your argument that Henry would be best 23 holds even less water. It essentially boils down to “young player played 15 games last season therefore will play more next season” whilst totally ignoring the context of the list, playing style of preferred by the coaches and the increased competition for spots.

There are plenty examples of young players getting games early on then struggling before breaking back in. It’s not always a linear progression so your insistence it would be here despite all the signs pointing the other way is baffling.
I am happy for you to give me the examples. Its not always linear but it usually is

If I look at his draft year there were 14 players who managed 25 games or more in their 1st 2 seasons like he did, in 2023 those group of 14 did this in game numbers

50 % played 21 or more games
21 % played <10 games, Cox injured, Ginny mucked up, Berry the most obvious drop off

Henry came 15th in the AFL goal kicking
Kicked 41 goals in the H&A, before Miho this season we need to go back to Travis Cloke in 2013 to find a Collingwood player who has reached 40 in the H&A
Go back 10 years in the AFL and only Henry, Amiss, Hogan, Stringer and Wingard have had 40 goal seasons in their 1st 3 years.

You are saying he wouldn't have been best 22 at Collingwood despite he clearly was at Geelong and posted exceptional numbers for a 3rd year player. You seem to believe at Collingwood he wouldn't have developed. He is on the path of a very good player, it's blindingly obvious to me.

Exactly...Shaz didn't get there because he had 2 knee recos. Its a huge thing to try to overcome.

Chances are that Doedoo will never be the player he was. I'd rather we play the odds than bank on defying them.

Plenty have. Check out Curnow. There are many examples.

Last edited:
Anyone think Jackson Hatley might be worth a rookie spot? Decent depth player.
A very talented junior - how did it go so wrong after only 4 years in the system?

I still think he has a future at AFL level (being only 22) but I think is someone that needs to go into a VFL/SANFL and re-ignite his career from there and aim to be back on an AFL list in 2-3 seasons time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy departing North, I would say we have a look at him but we don’t really need him, but stranger things have happened.
Yeah I wouldn't think so. He'll look for somewhere that has opportunities for him to play.
Essendon maybe.

I am happy for you to give me the examples. Its not always linear but it usually is

If I look at his draft year there were 14 players who managed 25 games or more in their 1st 2 seasons like he did, in 2023 those group of 14 did this in game numbers

50 % played 21 or more games
21 % played <10 games, Cox injured, Ginny mucked up, Berry the most obvious drop off

Henry came 15th in the AFL goal kicking
Kicked 41 goals in the H&A, before Miho this season we need to go back to Travis Cloke in 2013 to find a Collingwood player who has reached 40 in the H&A
Go back 10 years in the AFL and only Henry, Amiss, Hogan, Stringer and Wingard have had 40 goal seasons in their 1st 3 years.

You are saying he wouldn't have been best 22 at Collingwood despite he clearly was at Geelong and posted exceptional numbers for a 3rd year player. You seem to believe at Collingwood he wouldn't have developed. He is on the path of a very good player, it's blindingly obvious to me.
On our list alone we have Josh Daicos, Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay, Jordan De Goey, Jack Ginnivan, Oleg Markov who all played less games in their third year than their second year. Other non linear games played players include Jack Crisp who played 10,2 and 6 in his first three years and Mason Cox who broke out in 2016 with 11 games then played 9 games the following year. Will Hoskins Elliott at the giants played 10,9,20,11,2 at the giants before moving to us. We only have to look at our own list to know progressions is not linear in terms of game played.

Geelong didn’t make the top 8, we finished on top of the ladder. Not sure how Ollie being clear best 22 in a much inferior team helps your point.

He’s on the path to becoming a good player I never disagreed with that but it’s blindly obvious going to Geelong has helped him with that.

Yeah I wouldn't think so. He'll look for somewhere that has opportunities for him to play.
Essendon maybe.
I've seen reports linking him to Essendon. With Grundy leaving, I'd imagine Melbourne would be interested, however it would depend on whether Goldstein wants to be best 22 every week, or if he values the chance at a flag more.

I've seen reports linking him to Essendon. With Grundy leaving, I'd imagine Melbourne would be interested, however it would depend on whether Goldstein wants to be best 22 every week, or if he values the chance at a flag more.
Can he play forward? Melb would want someone that can play both positions

Doesn't look like anyone is going to request a trade to us

The only players who would be requesting trades are those seeking regular senior footy. Alot of these players wouldn't be making us their first choice, because they feel they may struggle to get regular senior footy with us as well, so it doesn't serve their purpose for requesting a trade initially....

In saying that, l would like us to look at bringing in a Paddy Dow and a Khamis/Doedee.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back