List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our recruiting in last season’s trade period was brilliant.

Imagine if we didn’t have Mitchell to cover for Adam’s tomorrow night. Or Frampton earlier in the season when all of Cox, Cameron and McStay were out. Or if we hadn’t recruited Hill and Markov to give us so much dash and dare. Or even the much maligned McStay, who was pivotal in the QF win over the Dees and has averaged two goals per game since returning from injury.

Fail to recruit any one or more of those players mentioned above and we would not have finished minor premiers and wouldn’t be playing off for a spot in the 2023 grand final.

Very well done to Graham Wright and the recruitment team for analysing, anticipating and addressing our list needs so well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn't throw our first at Gold Coast because we only have two picks this year. Keep them. Starting to look really silly trading our second last year (Cowan) so we could slide back and take Richards later. Richards will be off our books by 2025. Meanwhile, Cowan will be starring for Carlton until he's targeted by Tasmania at the end of 2027 and needs to weigh up between a return to his home state or continue to play for his childhood team.
Hollands is 22 perfect age (B Hill) former top 10 pick. more to offer than our late 1st that will balloon out to the 20's.
He's got a couple of years in an AFL system, nutrition and building an AFL body
Richards will be delisted and rookied just like Murley. wasted pick

The big difference between Henry and a payer like Markov is ones a journey man who has a great story in 2023 and the other is tracking early in his career as an A gade talent

The A grade talent is much more predictable

Any marking forward who plays 10,15 then 22 games in his 1st 3 seasons is tracking wonderfully. To say a 2nd year player wouldnt crack our 23 when he played 15 games the year before is unlikely. He gets talked down on this board because of the way he left. A marking forward who does 10 then 15 in their 1st 2 seasons usually steps up again. Henry did that ++ this year but he was always likely to play a lot

As it stands he has played about 6th number of games in his draft year and cleared out as the player who has kicked most goals from that year. If the draft was redone I think he would go close to top 5.

Goals from 2020 draft

Henry 67
JUH 60 is next best

High end talents are different from run of the mill players. Once you know he can cut it at AFL level he should show marked improvement through those 1st 4 years. He is likely to have another spike in performance in 2024 and over time will become a bigger and bigger loss to us

If he was with us in 23 he would have played lots. The really good kids do, we would have shuffled our team to include him as his improvement continued to rise rapidly
It's his 3rd year this season. As you say he played 15 games last year, though we did not have McStay.

Some on the board talk him down because he left, there are others who talk him up for the same reason.

He's a good player. The fact is though he's an undersized (189cm) KPF. His lack of size and pace puts a hard cap on his potential.

Would he have played much for us in 2023? The player who superseded him in 2022 played 15 games, this would have been less without injuries to Mcstay and rucks. It's a difficult fit. Playing him consistently would likely require giving up on two rucks which I don't think we'd do. McStay and Mihocek are both clearly ahead of him. Henry would have been the eventual Mihocek replacement, but till then would not have been a lock to play.

Given his potential we definitely would have tried to fit him in where possible. Any poor form and he'd be one of the first out though, just like in 2022. In the end given we had another decent option as the 3rd/4th tall forward in AJ his leaving didn't impact us too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didn't he come from there
yeh, think he was a South Adelaide product if memory serves
He played for South Adelaide and then was drafted by Geelong.

Apparently Crows are interested in Krueger
They can have him. If we've tabled a one year deal and he's yet to sign, then history would tell us he's probably not too keen on it and is looking for something better. Obviously, we're being cautious as he didn't hit the trigger in his last contract.
Could be a premiership player in a week, will need their first.
I would be shocked if Kreuger plays next week. First choice forward not in the team is Reef.

He played for South Adelaide and then was drafted by Geelong.

They can have him. If we've tabled a one year deal and he's yet to sign, then history would tell us he's probably not too keen on it and is looking for something better. Obviously, we're being cautious as he didn't hit the trigger in his last contract.

I would be shocked if Kreuger plays next week. First choice forward not in the team is Reef.
I seriously doubt reef will be coming in the side. If you want a contest then freddy is a no brainer

Don’t understand why we would want a 35 yo Goldstein
Even at 35 he still gives a much stronger contest than both our rucks and can certainly hit the scoreboard when forward. Perfect while we develop our younger rucks and good for our VFL side. I wouldn't be worried if Goldstein was playing for us next week, he would be a colossus in a GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back