List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Unless King is available for something reasonable, which would still be expensive. I'm reticent about the risk, however, it would achieve two important things to contemplate the move.

It improves us now in what looks like a premiership window.

It also future plans for life after Mihocek who is getting on and will leave a massive hole.

So it's a short and long term investment that will be easier to accomodate with retirements (re: the cap).

Otherwise agree with you if that isn't realistic.

What cheapy KPD are out there?
The three that immediately spring to mind:

Then there’s this guy:

There’s always KPD options out there so I’d still be on the hunt for a Howe replacement and I know there’s a quality gap, but your man Highmore is AFL quality he just needs a shot at it. Perfect for GC, IMO.

Then there’s this guy:

There’s always KPD options out there so I’d still be on the hunt for a Howe replacement and I know there’s a quality gap, but your man Highmore is AFL quality he just needs a shot at it. Perfect for GC, IMO.

What do you mean by Howe back up?
If you're talking the bloke we use as a KPD - you wouldn't aim for him to be Howe like.
If you're looking for a bloke that can play on a mix of smalls and talls - don't Murphy and Maynard fit the bill - with Ryan looking likely?

Literally impossible for him to not have a smirk on his face when discussing player suspensions on live crosses on Fox Footy.

Actually reminds me of Scomo with how much he smirks.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He definitely does give off the big 'I was bullied & no one liked me as a kid and now I'm in a powerful role' vibes.

He'll be far from the biggest name on OOC list - but 22 year old James Jordan from Melbourne would be worth a look imo. Been "there or there about" in a stacked Melbourne side, but when he's been given a chance he's played some good footy at AFL level, and I actually think our style would suit his run and ball use game, more than Melbourne's contest and mark game.

Has played 50 odd games, but has often been the sub, could be a nice addition to our side as a WHE/Sidebottom replacement in time.

He definitely does give off the big 'I was bullied & no one liked me as a kid and now I'm in a powerful role' vibes.

So you’re saying he’s a heartwarming and inspiring underdog story?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean by Howe back up?
If you're talking the bloke we use as a KPD - you wouldn't aim for him to be Howe like.
If you're looking for a bloke that can play on a mix of smalls and talls - don't Murphy and Maynard fit the bill - with Ryan looking likely?
Intercept general defender. The way we defend all our defenders are asked to defend tall, small and anything in between. One underneath without any top level exposure is skinny while we’re contending especially with how we defend. If Murphy had gone down with concussion v Adelaide or St Kilda with a P McCartin type outcome do you think we’d be well placed with Ryan as the back up? That’s without me personally having seen any aerial intercept ability from Ryan at VFL level yet. That’s not to say Ryan won’t develop his marking game, but none of the three you named are remotely close to Moore or Howe overhead. It’s a strength of Highmore’s and he’s outside their best 22 primarily because of how similar he is to Wilke.

Then there’s this guy:

Highmore would be a very smart move. Can play medium or tall. I like Buckley too but he may be hard to shift after a break out year.

Intercept general defender. The way we defend all our defenders are asked to defend tall, small and anything in between. One underneath without any top level exposure is skinny while we’re contending especially with how we defend. If Murphy had gone down with concussion v Adelaide or St Kilda with a P McCartin type outcome do you think we’d be well placed with Ryan as the back up? That’s without me personally having seen any aerial intercept ability from Ryan at VFL level yet. That’s not to say Ryan won’t develop his marking game, but none of the three you named are remotely close to Moore or Howe overhead. It’s a strength of Highmore’s and he’s outside their best 22 primarily because of how similar he is to Wilke.
My view is that it costs a bomb to get blokes like Howe and Moore who read it really well to take uncontested intercepts, also take contested intercepts, as well as being able to spoil. So unless you have them already or are willing to spend a bomb, you play blokes who can do a couple of those things at a high level - like Murphy, Maynard, hopefully Frampton- I think Ryan will be thereabouts by next year. Who knows with Ruscoe. But I wouldn't be recruiting a Howe light - an all-rounder - who isn't really high level at any of those things.

My view is that it costs a bomb to get blokes like Howe and Moore who read it really well to take uncontested intercepts, also take contested intercepts, as well as being able to spoil. So unless you have them already or are willing to spend a bomb, you play blokes who can do a couple of those things at a high level - like Murphy, Maynard, hopefully Frampton- I think Ryan will be thereabouts by next year. Who knows with Ruscoe. But I wouldn't be recruiting a Howe light - an all-rounder - who isn't really high level at any of those things.
Howe, Wilke, Ryan and Stewart arguably the four best marking intercept general defenders league wide were all mature age when drafted along with Langdon. Considering their relative value it’s incredible how many studs have been overlooked in multiple drafts.

IMO, you’re underselling Highmore’s intercept ability when he was last a fixture in St Kilda’s best 22 his intercept mark numbers were elite. His ball use is also a strength, but more in the Stewart/ Wilke mould than Howe/ Ryan. It’s unfortunate he hasn’t played at the top level for so long, but in terms of intercept and skill level he was tracking every bit as well as pre 2018 Langdon. From the outside it looks to me like he’s similar to Frampton under Nicks who just needed someone to believe in him (although he doesn’t fit at St Kilda, IMO).

Edit: to be clear none of this is me saying I expect we chase him and I think me and Quicky were the only two on here watching St Kilda early in 2021, but I’m confident he’s at least as good as Murphy and is a much better footballer than Markov.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind seeing Marty hore rookie listed

The amount surprised me as I thought that there was a salary floor which clubs have to pay, although I understand that the floor can fluctuate from year to year which might account for such a high number (as well as potential or expected retirements).
Your correct. The min is 95% of the TPP so $3m quoted is 20% hence Bull#*$&.

You can role over 2 years of 95% and pay the 3rd year at 110% of the TPP otherwise it’s lost and can’t be carried forward.

What the Bombers might have done is front ended a number of contracts to have that amount spare although that’s a hell of a lot of front ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back