List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting post I saw on the Hawks board about us :

"Collingwood is going for Gold with an aggressive strategy this season.

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

That's 14 genuine All Stars! Scary, huh!"

I agree 💯 let's hope Allan, Harry, Harvey, TJ, Smit & a few others develop well too.
As much as I like it, that's a pretty optimistic read of multiple B graders, a speculative KPD prospect and an unknown kid.

The whole defensive unit was at sea for half the year, I’d argue Darcy cost us more games than Dean did.
We should have played Darcy in the VFL all year and Dean in the seniors. That would have fixed our defensive woes. Geez, Axl, your strumming some weird chords today.

Highly unlikely.

He doesn't challenge the ball in the air as he cannot jump or is not explosive/athletic.

Then he is very slow to defend leaner and quicker forwards.

Then you cannot put him on big strong forwards either because he is not strong enough.

His only positive trait is that he's taller than 6'3.

Everything else, including awareness, is VFL level at best.

The Pies literally lost games because Dean was dominated by his man that it led to direct goals or indirect goals when his team mate had to help him leaving another player free.

Sorry, but Dean is not good enough for what the Pies need in their structure. If he is best 22, then Pies aren't gonna do well against the top 8 teams.
Is this the Dean in his first game or the one at the end of the season? If you watched him take 17 marks against a strong Brions team in the VFL and force his way back into the team you might think different. Lacks a yard but has plenty of other AFL attributes.

Interesting post I saw on the Hawks board about us :

"Collingwood is going for Gold with an aggressive strategy this season.

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

That's 14 genuine All Stars! Scary, huh!"

I agree 💯 let's hope Allan, Harry, Harvey, TJ, Smit & a few others develop well too.

Ignoring the overrating of a few of those players, what that post ignores is how much cap space we'll have for the 2025 and 2026 Restricted Free Agents

How did he have 17 marks in his last VFL game if he can’t “ challenge the ball in the air”?

I literally said in that post that he is a VFL player at best, based on his performance and comparison to players he defended in the AFL. He could grab 30 marks against anyone in the VFL for all I care. He can't do it in the AFL against AFL level competition. And there's several games and evidence of that.

And my definition of challenge the ball in the air is about preventing his direct man from getting marks or touching the ball first while ball is in the the air. So marking uncontested doesn't count.

Look at Howe, Murphy and Moore.

Those 3 repeatedly contest ball in the air well. Howe and Murphy elite in the league.

With that said, many good defenders don't have to contest marks to be good. They will need to be good at reading the plays and intercept inside 50 entries or tackle players. Dean has failed to show enough in this categories also.

He's bad.

And it would need a 180 degree turn around for him to be good enough to help Pies in a finals setting. He is a liability.

I literally said in that post that he is a VFL player at best, based on his performance and comparison to players he defended in the AFL. He could grab 30 marks against anyone in the VFL for all I care. He can't do it in the AFL against AFL level competition. And there's several games and evidence of that.

And my definition of challenge the ball in the air is about preventing his direct man from getting marks or touching the ball first while ball is in the the air. So marking uncontested doesn't count.

Look at Howe, Murphy and Moore.

Those 3 repeatedly contest ball in the air well. Howe and Murphy elite in the league.

With that said, many good defenders don't have to contest marks to be good. They will need to be good at reading the plays and intercept inside 50 entries or tackle players. Dean has failed to show enough in this categories also.

He's bad.

And it would need a 180 degree turn around for him to be good enough to help Pies in a finals setting. He is a liability.

Now that he seems to have his injury issues under control, I'm happy to give him one more year

If he doesn't establish himself in 2025 then I'm ok with him being moved on

2 years injury free at his age should be more than enough time

We should have played Darcy in the VFL all year and Dean in the seniors. That would have fixed our defensive woes. Geez, Axl, your strumming some weird chords today.
I don't think that's what he's saying. Or, I hope not. But there were periods of the season where our backline was entirely at sea, captain included. Harder to get accustomed to that from an AA CHB than from a rookie kid.

All the Dean fans here can defend him all you want.

But he has been shocking in the AFL.

Pies would get smashed by good teams with multiple good goal kickers if he was to field a finals game. He gets beaten so bad, he literally breaks the entire defensive structure for Pies as other players have to try to make up for his horribleness.

Again, a miracle is required for him to be a key player for Pies as a premiership contender.

Coaches back me since they removed Dean after the first 3 weeks, which were embarrassing for him.... Pies looked good when he was off the game. Coaches agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id rather drag Jarryd Blair out of retirement than pick up Owies. Surely there are better cheap options if we decide we need a small fwd after losing Richards. (Love ya Blairy)

I don't think that's what he's saying. Or, I hope not. But there were periods of the season where our backline was entirely at sea, captain included. Harder to get accustomed to that from an AA CHB than from a rookie kid.
Old Axl has had it in for Darcy all year, which is fair enough but the alternative was to play others ahead of Darcy and that's just silly

Reasons we can win the flag in 2025.
Addition of Perryman and Houston (fingers crossed)
2023 form of Quaynor, Moore, Josh D, Bobby, Bruz
Improvement from Schultz
Step up in level from Allan
Return from injury Jordy, Mihocek, Titch

Probably missed a few but can’t wait already
A season with both Checkers and McStay in the forward line would be nice!

All the Dean fans here can defend him all you want.

But he has been shocking in the AFL.

Pies would get smashed by good teams with multiple good goal kickers if he was to field a finals game. He gets beaten so bad, he literally breaks the entire defensive structure for Pies as other players have to try to make up for his horribleness.

Again, a miracle is required for him to be a key player for Pies as a premiership contender.

Coaches back me since they removed Dean after the first 3 weeks, which were embarrassing for him.... Pies looked good when he was off the game. Coaches agree.
It seems bizarre (this is the most generous term I can come up with) to blame one rookie for our backline breaking down time and again, with or without him in the side. We went 3-1-4 with him in the side, almost identical to how we finished the season - how did we suddenly look good without him? Our backline didn't click until the last quarter of the season, which had nothing to do with Dean.

How many games have they played together? Would be single figures still surely. Need some continuity because Dan is gong to be super important to let Checkers off the leash a bit
yeah would be interesting to know how many
Dan has missed so much footy since coming to us, but Checkers has been unlucky too - would be a dangerous combo if we can get them playing a decent string of games together!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back