List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have pushed for 2023 first rounder last year but real alternative was that they kept him. He was contracted. Same as Houston you lose leverage.

That side Port would never send back 23 for pick 10. In fact they would ask for more.
I meant 10+23 for Houston

Last year, Schultz was 12 months from UFA - we had power
Offer 2023 first + 2024 2nd + whatever else they wanted

I think it’s a mistake for Leppa to be sharing his thoughts so openly in the media. He’s highlighting our deal-making weak spots and highlighting GC’s position of strength. He should keep his cards closer to his chest rather than showing his hand to everyone.

I’d now put the probability of us landing Houston down to about 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only mildly?

I don’t know Im really just speculating. But we’ve watched Noble for a few years now and he’s a serviceable player and that’s about it.

Would any of us really be surprised if Gold Coast decide we can do without because someone might give them a significantly better offer for 13 since it’s in so much demand which will provide higher upside down the track?

Luko gets done regardless of our trade or not imo.

SUN OFF LIMITS AS PIES MAKE MOVE​

GOLD Coast has emphatically shut down any chance of Bailey Humphrey being involved in any trade after Collingwood raised its interest in the young gun as part of the John Noble deal.

Humphrey, the No.6 pick from the 2022 Telstra AFL Draft, is signed at the Suns until the end of 2028 and viewed as a key member of the club's future, including being currently in America with a group of Suns teammates at a training camp.

The Magpies flagged their interest in Humphrey as part of talks to progress the trade sending Noble to the Suns, however Gold Coast has blocked any chance of the exciting midfielder/forward being part of any deal.
Humphrey, who has played 40 games in his first two seasons, was drafted from the Gippsland Power and quickly became a favourite of new Suns coach Damien Hardwick. He is considered a crucial part of the Suns' future.

The Noble trade has been tied up in talks involving the Suns, Pies and Port Adelaide, as the Pies hunt Port's Dan Houston and the Power look to land Pie Joe Richards and Sun Jack Lukosius.

All clubs have also discussed separating the deals and doing them individually, with the Pies needing Gold Coast's pick 13 to be in the mix for Houston.

Collingwood list boss Justin Leppitsch on Friday conceded on Gettable Trade Radio that talks had become "messy" and that many iterations of a possible deal had been talked through.

"We're hoping to get things done but it's not going to be easy," Leppitsch said. "Nothing ever is. I think it will be something that we'll pick up early next week and give it another go."

The Kangaroos remain ultra keen on Houston and have put forward a five-year deal and are dangling their future first-round pick to get a trade done. Port Adelaide is able to operate in both markets – with the Kangaroos situation and the Suns and Pies scenario – and wait to see which offer would bring in the best result.

"I'd say we're in the mix. We're really keen to bring him into the footy club,"

I think we'll definitely get Houston.

The only worry at this stage is getting shafted to a certain extent, and not having any picks left over afterwards.

If that happens, it'll go against what we've been expecting all week. But if you consider the Perryman acquisition without draft picks, it could still be seen as a win.
Leppa's statement on this was very strong. Don't think he walks it back. Basically, if we have to choose between now and the future we're choosing the future. We'll have at least one decent pick in this draft.

SWANS PONDER PICK DECISION​

SYDNEY is exploring all options with its pair of first-round selections, with the club likely to continue those conversations through until draft night.

The Swans currently hold picks No.19 and 22 in this year's draft, with both selections highly sought after as clubs look to either move up or shift back in what is considered a talented and deep pool.

Sydney is among a number of clubs that has had interest in moving up to Gold Coast's No.13 pick, but it has also held talks around potentially shifting its selections back or into the future.

Is that you Ned? If we miss out on Houston, Noble has already stated he would be happy to stay if a deal can’t be reached. GC offered him a 4 year deal & he is contracted to our club. We have plenty of bargaining power.

Yes, everyone has some bargaining power in this negotiation but IMO we have the least. And for that reason, I wish that Leppa wasn’t sharing all his thinking in the media. I’d prefer he kept them all guessing a bit, rather than being an open book.

If we hadn't taken a breath and instead traded our future first in 2021, then we could have gone after someone like Dunkley. Hindsight is 20/20.

Shultz was being chased by several clubs and was coming to Victoria regardless so he wouldn't have been available this year. Also pick 10 is no longer pick 10.

How's the writing off of Schultz too after one season? Who can say that he's not going to be worthy of the pick we used?
1. I’m not writing off Schultz, I really like him.
Please don’t infer judgements I make of players.
You may not agree, but I think we could and should have still got him without 2024 1st

2. Pick 10 will still get the player available whether it’s 13 / 15 / 100
We never had access to the players that push it back so it’s still has same value

3. It’s not hindsight
I’m not talking about 2021
Go back to 2023 thread and read my posts from pg590 onwards
They discuss how our 2024 first may be low bc of injuries (guess what happened?!) and state that what happens if a top line player becomes available and we need that first

Anyway, I didn’t want to go into this much depth (again) I simply stated that our stance last year should have been the one we’re taking this year.
Feel free to think otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SUN OFF LIMITS AS PIES MAKE MOVE​

GOLD Coast has emphatically shut down any chance of Bailey Humphrey being involved in any trade after Collingwood raised its interest in the young gun as part of the John Noble deal.

Humphrey, the No.6 pick from the 2022 Telstra AFL Draft, is signed at the Suns until the end of 2028 and viewed as a key member of the club's future, including being currently in America with a group of Suns teammates at a training camp.

The Magpies flagged their interest in Humphrey as part of talks to progress the trade sending Noble to the Suns, however Gold Coast has blocked any chance of the exciting midfielder/forward being part of any deal.
Humphrey, who has played 40 games in his first two seasons, was drafted from the Gippsland Power and quickly became a favourite of new Suns coach Damien Hardwick. He is considered a crucial part of the Suns' future.

The Noble trade has been tied up in talks involving the Suns, Pies and Port Adelaide, as the Pies hunt Port's Dan Houston and the Power look to land Pie Joe Richards and Sun Jack Lukosius.

All clubs have also discussed separating the deals and doing them individually, with the Pies needing Gold Coast's pick 13 to be in the mix for Houston.

Collingwood list boss Justin Leppitsch on Friday conceded on Gettable Trade Radio that talks had become "messy" and that many iterations of a possible deal had been talked through.

"We're hoping to get things done but it's not going to be easy," Leppitsch said. "Nothing ever is. I think it will be something that we'll pick up early next week and give it another go."

The Kangaroos remain ultra keen on Houston and have put forward a five-year deal and are dangling their future first-round pick to get a trade done. Port Adelaide is able to operate in both markets – with the Kangaroos situation and the Suns and Pies scenario – and wait to see which offer would bring in the best result.

"I'd say we're in the mix. We're really keen to bring him into the footy club,"
Oh shit, I didn't know Bailey Humphrey was involved - ignore my previous posts - go hard Leppa!

I thought I heard Leppa say early in the week that he was confident about us acquiring Houston. That sounded as if he was over the line, at least in his estimation. I just find it highly unusual for people in his position to voice their opinion on the chances of getting a player so early in the trade period. It can also look very bad if the trade fails to eventuate.
Hold fast.

I think it’s a mistake for Leppa to be sharing his thoughts so openly in the media. He’s highlighting our deal-making weak spots and highlighting GC’s position of strength. He should keep his cards closer to his chest rather than showing his hand to everyone.

He’s playing GC. Leppo is a gun poker player.

I think Collingwood definitely want to draft a KPD in the first round this year. All signs point to that being the case.
except our draft recruiters rarely target KP Players .....last one I recall as a first pick was McLarty? ....and we have looked past quite a few that were recognised as good (and when we were in need - Naughton is a great example when we preferred Stephenson (6) over Naughton (9) and Fogarty (12) ....

Yes, everyone has some bargaining power in this negotiation but IMO we have the least. And for that reason, I wish that Leppa wasn’t sharing all his thinking in the media. I’d prefer he kept them all guessing a bit, rather than being an open book.

He is keeping them guessing. By stating although we would like to do a deal for Houston it isn’t at any price. Even hinting that we would maybe walk away if it means not being part of the draft until it’s half over. Remember GC offered Noble 4 years while contracted to us & Port offered Richard’s 3 years. It’s on those clubs to do a deal. As far as I know we haven’t fully committed to anyone or offered a contract.

If we had taken a breath, and valued our picks more highly last year, we may have had Schultz and pick 10 and we wouldn’t be in this situation.

Trade pick 10 for Houston + 23
Then use 13 as a first rounder or split it
So in “taking a breath” how would we have orchestrated the massive injury list that caused us to end up with Pick 10?

Actually quite the opposite of what you are saying

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back