List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

A moron he may be. I’m on record as saying I’m concerned about the year after next. Big concerns about the cliff.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it

Mostly because the timing of us freeing up a shitload of cap space coincides with a bumper year for restricted free agents next year

Nick, Pendles, JDG, Crisp, Sidey, Mitchell, Perryman, maybe Allan. How many mids do you think we need in our rotation?

Depends how everyone holds up. I saw an interview with Mitchell recently, and he suggested he wasn't quite out of the woods with his foot issue. Jordy tends to find himself injured for a portion of the year, then you've got a couple of mid-30 year olds, a guy who really hasn't played much midfield, and a kid who showed something, but it was a bit of a training run match. It's a good bunch with a bit of luck, but the floor can easily fall out of it as we saw at times last year.

Having looked at those seasons, his contested numbers were not remotely grunt like. If that's what we are getting as a primary mid, it's not moving the needle (not saying he was a bad pick up btw, I like it given it cost nothing asset wise, just a statement on the fact our midfield is a real ticking time bomb, and it's not being mitigated much at all by our pickups)
I feel like Perryman suits us really well. Decent size, gets into good positions, good off both sides apparently, competent in the air and whilst not super fast has more pace than some of our encumbents, has some positional flexibility, open to improvement.

Adding he and Houston will mitigate some of the issues we had with teams going around us with fast kick/mark possession tactics I reckon. Also, given the resurgence of tagging last season, if we use Sidey in a tagging role Perryman prevents us losing too much pace in midfield rotations and the opportunity to use JDG forward a tad more.

The time bomb you mentioned was and is still capable of blowing up or at the very least matching it with the best midfields in the comp. So whilst it is ticking I feel we have time to add some extra ammunition and are very unlikely to implode.

Lots of people are worried that we haven’t focused on the future by giving away assets and not hitting the draft.

The draft still has an element of hope and luck combined.

The following were top 10 draft picks that were busts -

Josh Schache, Tim Walsh, Lawrence Angwin, Nathan Freeman, Daniel Gorringe. There’s tons of them you could add to this list.

Others like Tom Boyd, Adam Treloar, Jason Horne-Francis, Jesse Hogan etc were traded while still young. Even Wil Hoskin-Elliott was pick number 4.

Houston and Perryman have 5 years in them at least. That’s while we have Daicos x 2, Quaynor, McReery, Schultz, DeGoey, McStay, Cameron, Moore, Hill, Allan, Frampton, Lipinski, Maynard etc in the right age bracket. Jack Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott still have plenty to give.

If we add a free agent again next season with McGuane we can definitely keep in contention for a few years.

I just don’t want to waste the Daicos, Moore, DeGoey, Quaynor years.
You probably would if you hit the draft. Moore and JDG will be veterans when most of the good ones from this year's crop are beginning to produce.

The John noble thread on suns board has 3 replies, 2 of them are Jen and Anzacday

Lots of people are worried that we haven’t focused on the future by giving away assets and not hitting the draft.

The draft still has an element of hope and luck combined.

The following were top 10 draft picks that were busts -

Josh Schache, Tim Walsh, Lawrence Angwin, Nathan Freeman, Daniel Gorringe. There’s tons of them you could add to this list.

Others like Tom Boyd, Adam Treloar, Jason Horne-Francis, Jesse Hogan etc were traded while still young. Even Wil Hoskin-Elliott was pick number 4.

Houston and Perryman have 5 years in them at least. That’s while we have Daicos x 2, Quaynor, McReery, Schultz, DeGoey, McStay, Cameron, Moore, Hill, Allan, Frampton, Lipinski, Maynard etc in the right age bracket. Jack Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott still have plenty to give.

If we add a free agent again next season with McGuane we can definitely keep in contention for a few years.

I’m honestly expecting we’ll add LDU next season

The beauty of a player like Houston wanting to come to us is that it can help entice others to come and join he and Nick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if we believe the talk about the strength of this draft, in which case we’d be expecting players to be best 22 fast.
A strong draft doesn’t mean every kid is daicos, sheezel or Reid. Good kids still take 2-3 years. The elite ones like the ones listed impact immediately. But they are bloody rare. The best kid this year is going to bris as a f/s

Not if we believe the talk about the strength of this draft, in which case we’d be expecting players to be best 22 fast.
They might be best 22, but even big draft hits like Jordy and Darcy took until years 4 and 5 before they were top players. You get the occasional Sheezel, Daicos and Ashcroft, but they're bloody rare. You can't expect much early on, even from your hits - and lots of them aren't hits.

1 move I think is really underrated here is the acquisition of Matthew Boyd.

He has done a fantastic job with Freo's mids. And the emergence of both Young and Sharp transition from half backs to quality mids could really transform Houston, Perryman and Maynard into a very deep midfield for us.

Well played Leppa and Fly.
I get some of the talk that we have sold the farm for players, what about the future….bla, bla
I’m super excited with bringing in quality and going for the silverware at all cost, we are being ruthless in our quest for no.17
The only reason our club plays footy is to win flags, pumped for next year.
You can tell they are looking over their shoulders because the hatred is back.

Depends how everyone holds up. I saw an interview with Mitchell recently, and he suggested he wasn't quite out of the woods with his foot issue. Jordy tends to find himself injured for a portion of the year, then you've got a couple of mid-30 year olds, a guy who really hasn't played much midfield, and a kid who showed something, but it was a bit of a training run match. It's a good bunch with a bit of luck, but the floor can easily fall out of it as we saw at times last year.
The floor can fall out of any teams' midfield if injuries strike.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back