List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

really don't see the fascination with Berry (albeit haven't watched him closely) & would much rather keep hold of Richards

all of Richards, HH, McCreery, Allan & Reef to train with the midfield group over summer with a view that a couple can spend time rotating on-ball in 2025. in fact, all our small'ish forwards should be able to rotate on-ball for short bursts
I would add Harry and Jakob

With the age profile of our list and over reliance of veterans through our midfield in particular I wouldn't be taking the risk of trading away our future 1st.

If McGuane ends up being a top 10 prospect then not only is that a great outcome, if we end up not having a bounce like some predict then we'll land ourselves a valuable selection and we can wheel and deal with a clearer picture available of what's on offer.

Gold Coast showed what can be achieved with a low draft pick and numerous bids to match in the one year and even if we do bounce we'll still find buyers for or a player we can use our first on.

To be perfectly honest if we can't finish top 6 next year then the next best result would be bottom 4.

It's unpalatable but we essentially still got the best player in the draft with Daicos in a year we would have had pick 2 so a sugar hit of just one very poor season might be the list rejuvenation we need before the concessions start.
I forgot about McGuane, if he keeps on his trajectory he could be first round so we definitely need our future first. If the points system changes as it most likely is we’re going to need the high pick to get him f/s. Isn’t it going to be if he’s bid on in 1st round you need a 1 st round pick + whatever to match. You can’t have 4 picks in the forties to add up to the points. I’m not sure if that’s what’s going to happen? Or I could be totally of track and I have no clue which is probably closer to the truth.

Can we please kick out Derek Hine before the draft.

I know we're not going in with the best of picks but I can't ****ing deal with any more cricketers/ basketballer athletes turned mediocre footballer or undersized dwarf experiments.

The biggest change I want at Collingwood is Hine gone.

Pies go to draft this year with limited picks and they will just be wasted.

We can all see how bad he has been for 9 years.

It's time.

From what I've seen of Frampton lately, I want Keane again.

Keane, Davies/Peatling/Setterfield/Hewett/Kennedy type

We really need big bodied help for Naicos. worried we will break him if we dont

The big bodied thing is overstated.
I’d rather someone who has either class, poise or explosiveness.
Centre bounce and clearance situations are for natural footballers or players who are on the move.

We waste a premium spot on the ground for a bit body who can “tackle” as his only real weapon with no other tools.
I don’t wanna bag out Long but that’s the truth.
He had 13 touches despite playing the entire game on ball…
Wasting a premium spot and genuine support for Naicos.

Whoever thinks Naicos wants to be handballing or working in tandem with a player like Long…should be shown the door asap.

Free agents and salary cap dumps are our only hopes this trade period. We have no high picks and no fringe players with any trade value.

Packaging Lipinski or Noble with our 2nd rounder to move up the draft is about the best we can hope to do.

And Dekka Hine should have been moved on years ago. His purple patch was the years leading into our 2010 Premiership. He has had way more misses than hits over the past decade and some of the misses have been catastrophic.

We are our own worst enemies. Even when we draft well we still find ways to screw it up. Grundy. Stephenson. Ollie Henry. Caleb Poulter was second-best on ground last week behind The Bont against the Dees - and we delisted him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Somebody like Fiorini who might be let go for very little must be a target. The D-grade midfielder experiment must end. Throwing many darts won't always land a hit. Bytel, Sullivan and Long (credit for his game tonight) are not long-termers in AFL footy. I'm not Fiorini's hugest fan but he is just a significant upgrade on those options.

I think our veterans continue to hold up their end of the bargain to be truthful. Most of them are playing so a similar level they did in '23. The reasons we've dropped are our prime-aged players have dropped off and our bottom end - mostly comprising of bullish cheap pick-ups - simply being plodders.

There have to be some talented youngsters stuck playing twos at GWS, GC, North, Bris and Sydney who are looking for more opportunities.

Absolutely. Need to be raiding them like clubs have done with GWS/GC for years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agents and salary cap dumps are our only hopes this trade period. We have no high picks and no fringe players with any trade value.

Packaging Lipinski or Noble with our 2nd rounder to move up the draft is about the best we can hope to do.

And Dekka Hine should have been moved on years ago. His purple patch was the years leading into our 2010 Premiership. He has had way more misses than hits over the past decade and some of the misses have been catastrophic.

We are our own worst enemies. Even when we draft well we still find ways to screw it up. Grundy. Stephenson. Ollie Henry. Caleb Poulter was second-best on ground last week behind The Bont against the Dees - and we delisted him!!!

Stephenson had 1 good year the rest have been bog average no loss there, Poulter was a spud and deserved to be delisted and Ollie played the system and sooked to go to Geelong. I wouldn’t say we are missing much so the picks in hindsight were wasted. As for Grundy Eddie screwed us on that one when he okayed the 7 years, no hate from me on Grundy he got a great deal and lots of cash don’t we all want that.

I understand the anger, but this is such an even competition. We were up against it all year with injuries and a shortened pre-season (why we had to play OR still frustrates me). I think we will be back right in the top 4 mix next season with this list, which is why I think we back in this group and go again.

a few notes top of mind:

1. The Draft - Stick to the young kids
Please god, no more mature age VFL/delisted free agents. These pick ups are fine if it's 1/2 guys who are identified to play a starting 22 role for us - EG: Markov in 2023. But they quickly turn into list cloggers when we have 5-6 of them all picked up within 1-2 year period.

2. The midfield will be fine if we are healthy
We essentially played the entire season without Mitchell and fit DeGoey, which ruined our midfield group. Hopefully we can get both of these guys back fit and healthy next season.

3. Fix the backline
KPD is a must fix area... it seems Keane will be that move, although I am skeptical he can play that role. I also think we desperately need a new distributor back there. We have missed that since Daicos has moved on ball.

4. Transition the youth
I am in the camp to keep Sidebottom next season. Although, I hope we are able to move a player like Ed Allan past him during the season through exposure and development to the AFL level.

I understand the anger, but this is such an even competition. We were up against it all year with injuries and a shortened pre-season (why we had to play OR still frustrates me). I think we will be back right in the top 4 mix next season with this list, which is why I think we back in this group and go again.

a few notes top of mind:

Please god, no more mature age VFL/delisted free agents. These pick ups are fine if it's 1/2 guys who are identified to play a starting 22 role for us - EG: Markov in 2023. But they quickly turn into list cloggers when we have 5-6 of them all picked up within 1-2 year period.

We essentially played the entire season without Mitchell and fit DeGoey, which ruined our midfield group. Hopefully we can get both of these guys back fit and healthy next season.

3. Fix the backline
KPD is a must fix area... it seems Keane will be that move, although I am skeptical he can play that role. I also think we desperately need a new distributor back there. We have missed that since Daicos has moved on ball.

4. Transition the youth
I am in the camp to keep Sidebottom next season. Although, I hope we are able to move a player like Ed Allan past him during the season through exposure and development to the AFL level.
Agree mostly, but we do need to think about midfield depth, as the second we get 2 injuries we’ve got Long and Bytel stinking it up onfield. Mitch may not return the same player and DeGoey hasn’t played a full season in many years, it’s an area we should proactively address rather than hoping everyone stays fit and healthy next year IMO.

Somebody like Fiorini who might be let go for very little must be a target. The D-grade midfielder experiment must end. Throwing many darts won't always land a hit. Bytel, Sullivan and Long (credit for his game tonight) are not long-termers in AFL footy. I'm not Fiorini's hugest fan but he is just a significant upgrade on those options.

I think our veterans continue to hold up their end of the bargain to be truthful. Most of them are playing so a similar level they did in '23. The reasons we've dropped are our prime-aged players have dropped off and our bottom end - mostly comprising of bullish cheap pick-ups - simply being plodders.
Fiorini is an out an out hack who picked about 3 years ago, we have enough of his type 'thanks" to our new strategy of filling the gaping hole in our midfield via some random and desperate mid season draft selections.

The biggest change I want at Collingwood is Hine gone.

Pies go to draft this year with limited picks and they will just be wasted.

We can all see how bad he has been for 9 years.

It's time.
I'm a Hine supporter and think he was largely responsible for the talent on the list that won us 2010 and 2023 but maybe a refresh and new ideas might be on the cards. Still want to keep him in some capacity though.

The biggest change I want is for the whole Wright saga to be over and move on from him and get someone who actually values our draft picks in trades rather than someone who just gets a deal done no matter the cost. With where the list is at, I'm extremely worried about a Jaeger O'Meara, Chad Wingard type parting gift from Wright. He's already given us the Schultz debacle so we need to protect ourselves from it happening again.

a few notes top of mind:

3. Fix the backline

4. Transition the youth
Thanks for a balanced, positive post. I think we need to add some top-line talent from somewhere

(AFL need to draft some talent into their umpiring stocks...)

a few notes top of mind:

3. Fix the backline

4. Transition the youth

“Right back in the top 4 mix next season”? Really?

I think we’ll be in the mix for the bottom four. Our old players will be even further in decline yet will still get games because we have the worst set of U25’s in the entire competition. And we have no draft picks or trade-worthy players to do anything about it.

By 2026-27, we’re going to have lost most/all of Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Elliott, Mihochek, Howe, Cox, McStay, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott. I expect we’ll claim the wooden spoon in one/both of those seasons and, frankly, we probably need to, in order to get in the top end talent to contend again. I just hope we bottom out before Tassie comes into the comp.

As time passes, we’re all going to look back fondly on our 2023 Premiership and realise it was a bloody miracle that just about everything went right with a list that already had serious flaws in it.

Last edited:

a few notes top of mind:

3. Fix the backline

4. Transition the youth
For the sake of fostering discussion

What picks are you using? Our first rounder? Our 2nd that is sliding back further bc of pick swap? A bevy of 3rd and 4ths?
Or mortgaging our future again by trading F1s?

Every club’s midfield is fine when it’s healthy- in a long season, this is v rarely the case. That’s why we need quality mid depth. (But don’t have)

I agree but this is at odds to point 1.
How do we bring in Keane / other without surrendering picks? And how high do those picks need to be?
FA/UFA? It’s not happening in 2024.

Btw, I still have hope for Ryan - but I’m not sure he’s hbf.

We need to but our past trading regime and the picks choices we made make this difficult at this point.

I'm a Hine supporter and think he was largely responsible for the talent on the list that won us 2010 and 2023 but maybe a refresh and new ideas might be on the cards. Still want to keep him in some capacity though.

The biggest change I want is for the whole Wright saga to be over and move on from him and get someone who actually values our draft picks in trades rather than someone who just gets a deal done no matter the cost. With where the list is at, I'm extremely worried about a Jaeger O'Meara, Chad Wingard type parting gift from Wright. He's already given us the Schultz debacle so we need to protect ourselves from it happening again.
I couldn’t agree more with your post: on both points, and unlike you I’m not a Hine supporter; though I’ll be happy to keep him in some capacity cause I do recognise he has some talent which might be missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back