List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, I don't think we have hit rock bottom yet in terms of trade targets.

Can someone bring up Wiedemann? Zaine Cordy? Casboult?

Let's try and hit rock bottom.
Corey Gault retired from his WAFL club due to concussion issues at the end of 2022 - he might be over the concussion by now. Excellent state league ruck, who can chop out up forward. Already knows Pendles and Sidey. Might have even worked with Fy. It'd be a free hit. Thoughts?

Ok, I don't think we have hit rock bottom yet in terms of trade targets.

Can someone bring up Wiedemann? Zaine Cordy? Casboult?

Let's try and hit rock bottom.
We should try and get Ash Johnson.

Oh wait…

He was a bargain depth pick up when the Dees got him, there’s no way anyone is going to waste a list spot on him if he couldn’t even get a gig in Melbournes forward line.
I think they got him to replace Weid right?
I thought for a brief moment dees or dons would find a way to turn Weid into a full back. Couldnt hack it as a fwd but seemed to have the size and mobility at least.
Anyway, I always thought he looked more likely than schache

I think they got him to replace Weid right?
I thought for a brief moment dees or dons would find a way to turn Weid into a full back. Couldnt hack it as a fwd but seemed to have the size and mobility at least.
Anyway, I always thought he looked more likely than schache
He had one very small purple patch where he performed well for about a month and Melbourne thought it had clicked for him. Then they gave him a $600k (expensive at the time) contract and he did nothing else until the shunted him off to the bombers where he also did nothing.

Schache was a strange one, he had a really good first year at the Lions, looked like he could become the real deal, but then something happened in his second year (mum got sick?) and he wanted out, and never looked like the same player since. Probably both the biggest top 10 key forward busts of the last decade or so.

Except we dont play a third tall. Unless you consider WHE.
Not really the forward we'd be after, I wouldn't think

Doesn't mean we can't do it, indeed we struggle at times with the two tall forward setup.

That's the beauty of Membrey being a "tweener" in American-speak, Membrey can play that third tall role, but he's also well and truly mobile enough to do the business at ground level.

With him forward line could potentially look like this:

HF: Hill, McStay, Membrey
FF: Schultz, Mihocek, Elliott / McCreery

(assuming the plan to keep pushing McCreery further up the ground is still a thing)

As others mentioned Membrey has good forward craft, is smart enough to get in the right spots, reads the play at a high level, good at ground level and is an accurate shot for goal. He'd also insulate us better against the drop-off we had this year if one of Mihocek of McStay is unable to suit up for whatever reason, as he has the ability to play taller than his 188cm might indicate and has always been an effective hit up forward who can also take a grab (he's probably Howe-light in that latter respect).

Once again we'd only need production from him for 1-2 years, as that's the remaining time on our countdown clock before the other vets we are relying on all retire and our premiership "window" closes for a period of time during our upcoming "rebuild".

From where I sit we're not getting help in the tall forward department from anyone else more reliable and productive than Membrey would project to be, he's at least worth a hard look if he becomes available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if we were actually linked to Weddle but I was crossing off teams coming into our pick he was on the board. Next minute I believe Hawthorn traded up and snatched him. We took Ed Allan with the next pick. Still breaks my heart.

There is of course an opportunity for Allan to push on in his development and match him for a career though.

I came in and saw the conversation involves Josh Schache.
It’s going to be a long 6 weeks.
I’ll see myself out.

Doesn't the fact that Fly actually met with them imply that he doesn't see Stringer quite as bad as the enlightened in this place do?
For all we know that rumour could be complete BS, like so many are.

And if it did occur, it may have been a meeting instigated by Stringer's management & we attended out of courtesy, to gather information & Intel.

I'm not sure if we were actually linked to Weddle but I was crossing off teams coming into our pick he was on the board. Next minute I believe Hawthorn traded up and snatched him. We took Ed Allan with the next pick. Still breaks my heart.

There is of course an opportunity for Allan to push on in his development and match him for a career though.
Yeah, I was the same - bloody Hawks.
But, as you say, Ed has a chance to show his worth to us in the coming years.

Mitchell will be worse than his handful of games this year?

Why will Crisp be worse? Checkers?

This seems like just an ageist thing to do with no real evidence to back it up. WHE seems to be getting better with age. Sidey found a new crucial position and Howe played fantastic all year.

I am worried about Pendles, but then I heard he was injured late in the year, so maybe even he can bounce back.

We don't need to worry about 2026 because 2025 is still to play out and with a few nice pieces like Davies and Keane, I think we will be better. It's such an even comp, just a full year from JDG this year may have pushed us into the top 4.
Yeah, you’re right… WHE will be an All Aus by the time he’s 40.

Were you also one of the posters that thought Pendles would be an all Aus player for as long as he plays… and sidey? They’re as good as done and make us v slow. Especially when mitchell plays. There’s a reason he was made sub when he played this year.

I love Crisp, but he was patchy this year. As was Mihocek. It gets worse before it gets better for mids and weighty guys over the age of 30. Unless you want to go and recruit Danger and tex as well….

Last edited:
Doesn't mean we can't do it, indeed we struggle at times with the two tall forward setup.

That's the beauty of Membrey being a "tweener" in American-speak, Membrey can play that third tall role, but he's also well and truly mobile enough to do the business at ground level.

With him forward line could potentially look like this:

HF: Hill, McStay, Membrey
FF: Schultz, Mihocek, Elliott / McCreery

(assuming the plan to keep pushing McCreery further up the ground is still a thing)

As others mentioned Membrey has good forward craft, is smart enough to get in the right spots, reads the play at a high level, good at ground level and is an accurate shot for goal. He'd also insulate us better against the drop-off we had this year if one of Mihocek of McStay is unable to suit up for whatever reason, as he has the ability to play taller than his 188cm might indicate and has always been an effective hit up forward who can also take a grab (he's probably Howe-light in that latter respect).

Once again we'd only need production from him for 1-2 years, as that's the remaining time on our countdown clock before the other vets we are relying on all retire and our premiership "window" closes for a period of time during our upcoming "rebuild".

From where I sit we're not getting help in the tall forward department from anyone else more reliable and productive than Membrey would project to be, he's at least worth a hard look if he becomes available.
We usually only struggle with the two tall set up because one of either McStay or Mihocek are out.

I think it's pretty clear why we'd take Ryan over Cowan. Weakness of the latter was listed as his tank, a strength for Ryan. Our drafting has prioritised aerobic capacity and pace over the last few years so Ryan made more sense.

Ryan looked good early but struggled a bit this year. He's far from a write off. His marking ability and aerobic capacity will mean he's likely to be a player. We've been strong with half back selections, so I'd be quite confident that he makes it.

Yeah, you’re right… WHE will be an All Aus by the time he’s 40.

Were you also one of the posters that thought Pendles would be an all Aus player for as long as he plays… and sidey? They’re as good as done and make us v slow. Especially when mitchell plays. There’s a reason he was made sub when he played this year.

I love Crisp, but he was patchy this year. As was Mihocek. It’s gets worse before it gets better for mids and weighty guys over the age of 30. Unless you want to go and recruit Danger and tex as well….

So what is your strategy? Tank now and lose all our experience for nothing? Given none of them are worth much in a trade.

Let's just give up and slide down the ladder coz we are too slow and old.

So what is your strategy? Tank now and lose all our experience for nothing? Given none of them are worth much in a trade.

Silly isn't it? One more point or goal by us in one of those draws & we'd be playing Lions this week. Despite our horror injury run this year.

Not bad for a bunch of slow old dogs 🤣

Guaranteed Lions are thankful they're meeting Blues & not us.

Hopefully no more hacks. I remember years ago we were linked with big Orrenson and ended up with Ben Hudson haha

The only strategy is to keep the older players while they are contributing. In the meantime bring in as many ready to play younger players as possible (Schultz an example last year), while also developing draftees.

We were not far away this year. Our main problem is the tight margins in our games. A couple mistakes and you've added more losses. Need to look at how we can increase the margin of error and win games by more than a couple of points. Has to be a focus for our game tacticians.

In terms of replacing the older players, we have some similar types: Nick for Pendles, Josh for Sidebottom, Schultz for Elliott, Allan for Crisp (still prospective, but the right type), Ryan/TJ for Howe. I know many of these are playing at the same time, the rest of the team will need to be made up of youngsters or new recruits (would be looking for at least 1 star recruit soon as our cap frees up). The above step up as core players, then we add in others as secondary. The key is we're not replacing these older players at their best, so it's not as difficult as it seems. Not easy, but doable with smart recruiting and drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back