List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

So what is your strategy? Tank now and lose all our experience for nothing? Given none of them are worth much in a trade.

Let's just give up and slide down the ladder coz we are too slow and old.
I’d do what the club will try and do and bring in the best talent available in the early to mid 20’s (which isn’t much) to try and improve our depth and balance out our ageing list. But that wasn’t the point. The point was it won’t matter how good our strategy is over the next 3 months and again next year… we don’t have any chips to help execute anything game changing. And with Macrae and Reef not being regulars and at risk of being replaced, Johnson falling away, Ryan struggling to impress, ageing players still being better options than what we have in the two’s, due to a v thin list of young mids and key backs / forwards coming through, the list is in pretty shizen shape.

The strategy to entice gun key position players once proven hasn’t worked, with McStay and Frampton the best we’ve been able to land… not helped by previous salary cap pressures.

We’ve had a good run over the past few years, with some v good trading, some Daicos gifts and good coaching help us jag the ‘23 cup… but the salary cap squeeze, and some average pick hands and selections are about to bite us on the *ss…

Feel free to disagree, but we’re going to need a lot of luck and crafty recruiting over the next 3 months to improve the list… whilst hoping that salary cap room and player availability in 12 months time improves significantly…

I think it's pretty clear why we'd take Ryan over Cowan. Weakness of the latter was listed as his tank, a strength for Ryan. Our drafting has prioritised aerobic capacity and pace over the last few years so Ryan made more sense.

Ryan looked good early but struggled a bit this year. He's far from a write off. His marking ability and aerobic capacity will mean he's likely to be a player. We've been strong with half back selections, so I'd be quite confident that he makes it.
I don’t think that Ryan is a great contested mark, and his vision and creativity is ok. He runs well and can read it ok, but he is nowhere near a Howe replacement… more a Chris Mayne replacement, the way he dink kicks it around. Cowan a lot more penetrating, which makes him a lot more suited to AFL. Always has been… and is a v good mark for his size

It's not the next three months tho. It's over the next 2-3 years. I'm not too concerned about immediate success. Sure, we want to do what we can to pull off another flag in the short term, but it's more important to sure up our squad for the medium to long term. We have a generational talent in Nick, need to build up for success with him.

Schultz was a good get last year, if we find another of a similar level this year, that's great, but tough to do. Would then look for a couple of specific players that fill a need, specifically tall defender and inside mid. Low outlay types targeting areas where we're lacking. Other than that it's the draft. Next year we likely target a bigger recruit, either free agent or trade as we should have quite a bit of cap to work with. A chance we spend some cap this year - there was reported interest in Lukosius (I assume mostly if we could get a pick) but more likely next year once our older players start retiring.

In terms of adding elite talent, as above, I think we'll be able to land one via FA or trade. Then we cross our fingers for McGuane's development. Would be a huge win if he becomes a top talent, F/S again saving our bacon. Condon the other, a longer shot, but at the least is a good chance of a Cox level replacement, assuming he signs up.

I don’t think that Ryan is a great contested mark, and his vision and creativity is ok. He runs well and can read it ok, but he is nowhere near a Howe replacement… more a Chris Mayne replacement, the way he dink kicks it around. Cowan a lot more penetrating, which makes him a lot more suited to AFL. Always has been… and is a v good mark for his size
Ryan's more of an intercept marker, similar to a Langdon. His asset over Cowan is his stronger running, which our whole game plan is predicated on. When I say TJ/Ryan are possible Howe replacements, it's that they can play in the team instead of him, not necessarily in the exact same way.

Ryan's more of an intercept marker, similar to a Langdon. His asset over Cowan is his stronger running, which our whole game plan is predicated on. When I say TJ/Ryan are possible Howe replacements, it's that they can play in the team instead of him, not necessarily in the exact same way.
Got huge doubts on Ryan. Not likely in my opinion

We had more list spots available back then though.
Not sure whether some of these guys are main or rooks list

but there's a fair few I'd delist before Reef (at a minimum, delist & rookie)
  1. Murphy (conc. /retired) - main
  2. Carmichael (conc. /retired) - rookie
  3. Noble (trade) - main
  4. Richards (trade) - rookie
  5. Bytel (delist) - rookie?
  6. Sullivan (delist) - rookie?
  7. Kreuger (delist) - main
  8. AJ (trade or if no takers, delist & rookie)
  9. Long (delist or perhaps another 12 mths depending on chase for Peatling/Davies)
  10. Ryan (delist & rookie) - main, albeit still contracted
  11. Reef (delist & rookie) - main to rookie

What’s the best we could turn our future first into this year, any chance of being able to get two picks for it? Would love to be able to grab both Whitlock boys then mcguane next year. Would go a long way to fixing our spine
If there is one draft to do it for, it would be this one.
Getting one of the whitlocks would be great. Getting both -- would be the ultimate dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the best we could turn our future first into this year, any chance of being able to get two picks for it? Would love to be able to grab both Whitlock boys then mcguane next year. Would go a long way to fixing our spine

Should be trying to turn our future 1st into a first round pick from Richmond.

Richmond need to spread this rebuild, crazy to think they can just pile in 6 top 20 kids and develop them all.

Then again I wouldn't bother with picks until Hine is gone.

If Ryan’s intercept marking was even remotely similar to Langdons he’d have been given way more opportunity at this point.

There’s about 5-6 picks in the middle of the 1st Rd tied up in trades related to Richmond which are our best bet to get back into this draft. The picks in particular are 9, 10, 12, 13 and 17 the first two are locked in and only one of the last 3 will remain as is. The most realistic outcome would be 12 going from Hawthorn to Richmond through a Barrass and Baker trade, IMO.

He’s on big money isn’t he? When he was leaving GC I thought we should’ve gone for him but his contract was too big. Prob similar to Lukosius, worth getting but the salary cost is a problem.

He was, then that contract ran out and Ess re-signed him. What that deal looks like I’m not sure, but given he won their B&F it’s likely relatively healthy.

He’s on big money isn’t he? When he was leaving GC I thought we should’ve gone for him but his contract was too big. Prob similar to Lukosius, worth getting but the salary cost is a problem.
He resigned till 2027 - Looks like about $550k which is not high these days .. the average salary of an AFL-listed player in the 2023 season was $441,464, salary cap rises to 17.7 million next year from 15 mill this year 1725229497760.png

Interesting that a couple of journos have gone with Petracca not finding a suitor due to his salary peaking at 1.7m (?) over the next few years, rather than no club wanting to match the asking price that will be set by Melbourne. Unless we believe what we're seeing coming out of Melbourne: there is no asking price because he won't be traded under any circumstances.

Would've thought if he did want to leave, Petracca's camp would be well and truly aware that he'd have to have his figures manipulated (say back to an even spread each year or otherwise) or even reduced somewhat.

I am probably pleading the story to stick around for our sake but I doubt we've heard the last of it. Petracca doesn't owe Melbourne much but maybe the statement to settle the ship was the least be could do.

I refuse to believe they'll hang onto him if he's as disgruntled as he's made out to be unless they clear out some of the shit that's making him disgruntled.

You would have been scratching your head even more if we'd taken him with our first round pick that year, as Dekka was apparently considering until Ed Allan fell into our laps.

Hkapey.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back