List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to go past Darcy atm but I think Mac will overtake him. Dear from hawthorn will also be up there over the next few years. Be nice to have one of those guys
I wouldn’t argue with that, but to elaborate I think Andrew has more tricks because of his ability below his knees and has Darcy covered through the ruck if need be. Darcy’s no slouch at ground level, but he’s that quintessential “good for his size” kinda guy.

How is the 2/4 rule going to be relevant? Assuming we trade our future first in to this year:
2021: Daicos
2022: Ed Allan
2023: Harry DeMattia
2024: ???
2025: Tom McGuane

We won’t have missed a first rounder for 5 years by next year.
The broader issue with that move is it would limit our ability to use 3 1sts to target Trac. All for theoretical access to the Whitlock’s…

I was hoping we would become a destination club.
It's funny how needy people are.

In 2010 we got across Ball and Jolly.
In 2023 we got across Mitchell, Hill and McStay.

And I know people complain about how we get screwed over every year (not true), but we've consistently brought across numerous above-average players over the last 15 years to fulfil our needs and it's garnered a tremendous amount of success. Most clubs would envy what we've been able to achieve both at the trade table and in September.

Absolute bargain! He’s the best young KPP in the league and I’d go as high as $15m to lock him in effectively through his 20’s.

Darcy easily.

How is the 2/4 rule going to be relevant? Assuming we trade our future first in to this year:
2021: Daicos
2022: Ed Allan
2023: Harry DeMattia
2024: ???
2025: Tom McGuane

We won’t have missed a first rounder for 5 years by next year.
You're right. I wasn't counting Daicos lol Forgot matching a bid applys.

I wouldn’t argue with that, but to elaborate I think Andrew has more tricks because of his ability below his knees and has Darcy covered through the ruck if need be. Darcy’s no slouch at ground level, but he’s that quintessential “good for his size” kinda guy.
Darcy will end up with genuine size though and that extra height, so will have more ways to beat an opponent in the air. When Andrew does take that next step, he'll start to get blokes leaning on him whenever the ball is in the air and keeping him away from the ball drop. I wouldn't go all in on Mac yet.

Just had a thought as to how the Petracca saga may be played out, or if I was the pies how it would be approached.
Let’s assume Trac has his heart set on Collingwood and nobody else.
Obviously it won’t happen this year for obvious reasons.
What if we told him to go back for one more season to the Dees, next year we have better draft capital, a much much lighter salary cap with Howe, Steele and possibly Pendles all leaving and being a year older Trac’s trade value slightly less dependent on performance next season.

I have a good feeling we have aborted this years pursuit and are going to really orchestrate a plan next year to get him over.
Exactly what I perceive to have occurred.... Mission aborted for now.
We'll see in about 12 months....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy will end up with genuine size though and that extra height, so will have more ways to beat an opponent in the air. When Andrew does take that next step, he'll start to get blokes leaning on him whenever the ball is in the air and keeping him away from the ball drop. I wouldn't go all in on Mac yet.
If he were an U18 I’d be tempering the expectations for that reason, but he’s already doing it at the top level at either end and opponents are struggling with him. He’ll only get bigger as he matures and learn how to deal with that sort of attention. The growth is also quite linear across his three seasons so whilst I get it he’s the goods, IMO.

The broader issue with that move is it would limit our ability to use 3 1sts to target Trac. All for theoretical access to the Whitlock’s…
If we have to move 3 firsts for a player who’s going to be 30 by the time he plays his first game for us and costs $1.7m in cap space then I’d rather he stay at Melbourne.

If he were an U18 I’d be tempering the expectations for that reason, but he’s already doing it at the top level at either end and opponents are struggling with him. He’ll only get bigger as he matures and learn how to deal with that sort of attention. The growth is also quite linear across his three seasons so whilst I get it he’s the goods, IMO.
I think he's good. But I don't think he's been good enough yet to have been targetted - particularly as he was massively uprated due to some good games forward. Thus I think that sort of money would be a massive risk.

If we have to move 3 firsts for a player who’s going to be 30 by the time he plays his first game for us and costs $1.7m in cap space then I’d rather he stay at Melbourne.
It would ultimately depend on the strength of the 2025 pick. If we bounce back as I believe we will then you’re looking at 3 late 1sts because Petracca will undoubtedly make us better across 26/27.

And what if trade next years 1st rounder into this year, and next year, because of the 2/4 year rule, we can only trade 1 first rounder (2026) while he still have 4 years to run on his contract?

Depends where we see ourselves next year
We may decide to go younger.
More than likely we need experience and leadership going into 2026 with the players we will lose.
It’s also not all about draft picks, if we have a really good year next year, individual players trade value increases significantly, we know salary cap won’t be an issue so it’s a better strategy to wait.
If only we’d done it with Shultz we could have had him free next year.

More than likely we need experience and leadership going into 2026 with the players we will lose.
It’s also not all about draft picks, if we have a really good year next year, individual players trade value increases significantly, we know salary cap won’t be an issue so it’s a better strategy to wait.
If only we’d done it with Shultz we could have had him free next year.
Will be interesting. There is a good chance we could trade next years 1st into this year's draft, given how deep it is and us wanting to get one (both would be nice) of the whitlock twins.
Not saying they'll do it, but its an option that's been floated.

It would ultimately depend on the strength of the 2025 pick. If we bounce back as I believe we will then you’re looking at 3 late 1sts because Petracca will undoubtedly make us better across 26/27.
3 late firsts? That’s the type of arrogant assumption that saw us give up pick 10 this year for Schultz. In such an even competition anything can happen and while I’m also of the belief that we can bounce back next year I certainly wouldn’t bank on remaining up top for 2 more years after that, especially with the amount of 30+ core players we have.

I think he's good. But I don't think he's been good enough yet to have been targetted - particularly as he was massively uprated due to some good games forward. Thus I think that sort of money would be a massive risk.
With the increases to the cap that’s the type of deal it’ll take to get the best or second best KPP U21 in the league. Ultimately it all comes down to risk appetite and I’m talking value in a bubble where it doesn’t impact on others around him who might be comparable players over the next few years getting paid half as much. With time though he’ll be very well compensated.

3 late firsts? That’s the type of arrogant assumption that saw us give up pick 10 this year for Schultz. In such an even competition anything can happen and while I’m also of the belief that we can bounce back next year I certainly wouldn’t bank on remaining up top for 2 more years after that, especially with the amount of 30+ core players we have.
You mean a fair price for the best pressure forward in the league who was a pre-agent at the time? I think the fact that Petracca about faced so quickly is a good indicator of the type of deal it takes to get the biggest trade in history done. Petracca alongside Naicos and JDG is a mix that would be unrivalled league wide and is the type of mix that tips a club over the edge in a close competition. The fear mongering of people looking backwards not forwards isn’t enough to dissuade me of my faith in the list.

It's funny how needy people are.

In 2010 we got across Ball and Jolly.
In 2023 we got across Mitchell, Hill and McStay.

And I know people complain about how we get screwed over every year (not true), but we've consistently brought across numerous above-average players over the last 15 years to fulfil our needs and it's garnered a tremendous amount of success. Most clubs would envy what we've been able to achieve both at the trade table and in September.
In 2023 we got across Mitchell, Hill and McStay...don't forget Frampton :)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back