List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I think it does matter. Recruiters are hired / retained amd paid to pick good players. If you have more misses than hits, you need to be replaced. Derek hasn’t had an amazing record with actual national draft picks for a while now. He’s about at retirement age anyway, but clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney are the benchmark when it comes to drafting. And we need to catch up…

IMG_0134.jpeg

Derek hasn’t had an amazing record with actual national draft picks for a while now. He’s about at retirement age anyway, but clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney are the benchmark when it comes to drafting. And we need to catch up…

Our recent ND drafting hasn’t been that bad …

• McCreery has cemented himself in the best 22.
  • Henry has shown to be a great get - not the fault of the drafters he went to Geelong.
  • Ed Allan had a cracking end to the season and gives us optimism for 2025
  • Harrison was showing great promise - not the drafters fault he did his ACL
  • Richards must be showing something if he’s getting a generous offer from Port.
  • Jury is still out on HDM and TJ

Well I think it does matter. Recruiters are hired / retained amd paid to pick good players. If you have more misses than hits, you need to be replaced.

I think you’ll find all clubs have more misses than hits.

For example, how many players from this list of names do you recognise?

Ryan Clarke
Will Gould
Hugo Hall-Kahan
Cameron Owen
Lachlan Rankin
Marc Sheather
Flynn Kroeger
Sam Menagola
Oscar Riccardi
Sam Simpson
Cooper Whyte
Lachie Bramble
Fergus Greene
Emerson Jekka
Ned Long
Josh Morris
Fion O’Hara

It’s the delistings for the three clubs that you suggested we should be emulating (Swans, Geelong and Hawks) in just 2023 alone

Our recent ND drafting hasn’t been that bad …

• McCreery has cemented himself in the best 22.
  • Henry has shown to be a great get - not the fault of the drafters he went to Geelong.
  • Ed Allan had a cracking end to the season and gives us optimism for 2025
  • Harrison was showing great promise - not the drafters fault he did his ACL
  • Richards must be showing something if he’s getting a generous offer from Port.
  • Jury is still out on HDM and TJ
Playing devils advocate it has been quite a while since we had a “live” pick who exhibited star power. Of that group Henry looks more than handy and Allan could get there, but the rest are role players.

My guess though is that a lot of it is hand wringing over stuff like Stephenson over Naughton or something partly out of Hine’s control like the pick 2 trade. It’s such minuscule margins though because if you nail those two we’re top 4 this year.

I would suggest though that Hawthorn’s recruitment between 2019 and 2022 was exceptional. Day at 13, Newcombe in the MSD, MacDonald at 26 and Weddle at 18 is picking the eyes out of those good, but not high end picks. It’s scary to think just how good they can be if the likes of Ward, McKenzie and Watson really come on. Again though that’s how quick the wheel can turn because no one is suggesting that 6 months ago.

On topic has anyone monitored Hustwaite at VFL level? He’s another in that mid draft range who I was on the fence with him in his draft year as the alternative to Ryan (I was never and still am not on the Cowan train), but now might be the time to have a crack while he’s still young enough where being kept out by Pendles and Mitchell isn’t the worst thing.

My guess though is that a lot of it is hand wringing over stuff like Stephenson over Naughton

If a magic wand was waved and us punters were given a choice of drafting this year either …

(A) The emphatic 2025 Rising Star who would be part of a team to get us to the 2025 Grand Final.

… or …

(B) A KPF who would take a few years to develop but ultimately become a 30 - 50 goal a year forward.

I don’t think people would find the answer obvious. That’s basically what the choice of Stephenson or Naughton looked like at the time.

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight things became different, but the recruiters can’t reasonably be blamed for not foreseeing that.

I would suggest though that Hawthorn’s recruitment between 2019 and 2022 was exceptional. Day at 13, Newcombe in the MSD, MacDonald at 26 and Weddle at 18 is picking the eyes out of those good, but not high end picks. It’s scary to think just how good they can be if the likes of Ward, McKenzie and Watson really come on. Again though that’s how quick the wheel can turn because no one is suggesting that 6 months ago.

Hawthorn have been in a position to invest games into players and build their development. It’s coming together for them.

We haven’t really been at that stage since 2021 when we were pumping games into players like Sier, Macrae, Poulter, Ginnivan, Rantall, and Ruscoe.

I think you’ll find all clubs have more misses than hits.

For example, how many players from this list of names do you recognise?

Ryan Clarke
Will Gould
Hugo Hall-Kahan
Cameron Owen
Lachlan Rankin
Marc Sheather
Flynn Kroeger
Sam Menagola
Oscar Riccardi
Sam Simpson
Cooper Whyte
Lachie Bramble
Fergus Greene
Emerson Jekka
Ned Long
Josh Morris
Fion O’Hara

It’s the delistings for the three clubs that you suggested we should be emulating (Swans, Geelong and Hawks) in just 2023 alone
This guy is on a level with Noble and has effectively ended JJ’s career. He’s yet another exceptional pick of the Hawks in that 2019-22 period. Agree with the rest.

If we can bring in pick 20 for Noble and trade in Keane and Peatling/Davies on the cheap, it will be a nice trade period for us.

The other real position of need we need to look at is a small defender/rebounder with the departure of Noble. I think we have some nice prospects on the list in this position (Parker/Ryan/TJ) but I don't think any of those 3 are ready to be a regular best 22 player. I think there could be merit in bringing in someone if we think they would be a best 22.

Could Caleb Daniel be a nice stop gap player who you can basically get for free?

Interesting that a couple of journos have gone with Petracca not finding a suitor due to his salary peaking at 1.7m (?) over the next few years, rather than no club wanting to match the asking price that will be set by Melbourne. Unless we believe what we're seeing coming out of Melbourne: there is no asking price because he won't be traded under any circumstances.

Would've thought if he did want to leave, Petracca's camp would be well and truly aware that he'd have to have his figures manipulated (say back to an even spread each year or otherwise) or even reduced somewhat.

I am probably pleading the story to stick around for our sake but I doubt we've heard the last of it. Petracca doesn't owe Melbourne much but maybe the statement to settle the ship was the least be could do.

I refuse to believe they'll hang onto him if he's as disgruntled as he's made out to be unless they clear out some of the shit that's making him disgruntled.
Not finding a suitor because his salary is too high is pretty much the same thing as being unable to get a deal done with Melbourne.

For any trade to occur, either Melbourne would need to be willing to subsidise salary, or petracca might need to be willing to move to a basket case club like West Coast. Or a bit of both. Neither of those options were likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn have been in a position to invest games into players and build their development. It’s coming together for them.

We haven’t really been at that stage since 2021 when we were pumping games into players like Sier, Macrae, Poulter, Ginnivan, Rantall, and Ruscoe.
Only my two cents, but I think we’re approaching that position if not this coming year then probably the next which is why it’s so important to retain and then stagger the departures of our veterans.

If we struggle in 2025 it’s likely we’ll see the end of at least 3 best 23 players and in 2024 we didn’t have the critical mass of U22’s capable of stepping up. You add one or two more to the likes of Allan, HH, Richards (if he’s retained), Parker, Keane and say Davies or Peatling and you can see the wheel turn on that transition very quickly. I think this is where Hawthorn have nailed their rebuild better than the Roos.

The Hawks retained more of that experience and kept bringing in established senior types (Amon, Impey and Frost) whereas the Roos cut hard early and have been balls to the wall in the draft. If I were them I’d be dangling pick 2 this year for an established type like a Ryan, Sinclair or Redman. Bringing in Smillie, Reid, Langford or Smith might look great on paper, but in trying to retain LDU they need a bit more bang for their buck immediately.

On the 2017 draft that’s how I saw it. We were largely a group of plodders coming out of that season and needed a bit of zip so the traits of Stephenson were a tick. The problem was above the shoulders which is difficult for a recruiter to assess because they get extremely limited access to the general draft pool kids and who in his inner circle was going to fess up on that front? You couple that with Moore still a potential KPF of the future with Naughton projected as a KPD and I’m not in a position to cast judgement.

If we can bring in pick 20 for Noble and trade in Keane and Peatling/Davies on the cheap, it will be a nice trade period for us.

The other real position of need we need to look at is a small defender/rebounder with the departure of Noble. I think we have some nice prospects on the list in this position (Parker/Ryan/TJ) but I don't think any of those 3 are ready to be a regular best 22 player. I think there could be merit in bringing in someone if we think they would be a best 22.

Could Caleb Daniel be a nice stop gap player who you can basically get for free?
Free????

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back