List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know anything about Wade Derksen? They were just saying on the Midweek Tackle he’s looking to come back to Victoria. Key Defender. Is he worth a look?
This from HS:

KEY-POSITON GIANTS IN-DEMAND

Uncapped GWS swingman Wade Derksen has emerged as a wanted man in a thin field for key position players this trade period.

Derksen, 23, believes he can be a goalkicking forward and has played as a key defender throughout 2024 but has been stuck behind Giants Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley and Leek Aleer.

Several clubs have registered interest in the 194cm player, including clubs in Western Australia and Victoria.
It is understood Melbourne is one of the clubs interested in Derksen.

He was taken at No.5 in the 2022 mid-season draft after being watched closely by several clubs during stints with Essendon in the VFL, Peel Thunder in the WAFL and NTFL side Nightcliff.

Hailing from the Northern Territory, Derksen and his partner are due to have twins this week and already have a young son.

He is contracted for next year at GWS but would like more family help given his growing family and is expected to favour a trade to Victoria for that reason.

Derksen has put up impressive numbers in the VFL this year, averaging 19.5 disposals, 2.9 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions a game.

He floated forward in the last three games of the year and kicked two goals in each match.

With Hawthorn poised to lock away Saints free agent Josh Battle and trade in Eagle Tom Barrass, clubs are scrambling for key defensive and key forward help.

Derksen’s teammate Aleer played eight AFL games this year for the Giants before being tipped out of the side and has been the subject of rival offers but is expected to stay in orange and see out his contract next year.

Another Giant caught in the defensive logjam, veteran Nick Haynes appears poised to leave as a free agent, with Carlton heavily into the intercept defender.

Demon Adam Tomlinson is expected to seek a third club, having not played more than nine games in a season in each of the last four years.

Cat Jake Kolodjashnij is closing in on a two-year extension, taking him out of the market.

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.

Rory Lobb was expected to push for a move but has now settled at the Western Bulldogs after being deployed in defence in the back half of the year.

Collingwood has been touted as heavily into Adelaide Irishman Mark Keane, who played five games with the club from 2020-21.

This is absurd imo
I disagree, your word is your bond.
Look at Bobby, Essendon obviously agreed to trade for him, f***** around and missed out on him.
We obviously told him we’d get it done, went bam and did the deal, (the next year).

Freo gambled on us falling down the ladder this year, given our aging list.
Very smart play by them
Lachie Schultz literally nominated us as his club of destination. Freo had no choice. No doubt they are thinking ok not a bad outcome given the situation we were faced with 12 months ago, but Freo banking on us dropping down the ladder seems a bit much, no?

Lachie Schultz literally nominated us as his club of destination. Freo had no choice. No doubt they are thinking ok not a bad outcome given the situation we were faced with 12 months ago, but Freo banking on us dropping down the ladder seems a bit much, no?
It was talked that was why they decided to choose our F1 rather than our current 1st (which we took Harry with)
They banked on us dropping down the following year. That it would be more value than what we offered at the time. They were right. Pick 25 v a F1

I’d be having a look at Jack Carroll from the Blues. He will likely leave the blues end of the year imo.
Lets stay away from anyone associated with carlton lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also these Whitlock twins are starting to take on mythical status on here. Don't get me wrong, if we have the ability to pick up a 200cm key position player i'm all aboard, and if we're coming in the 20s or late teens and one is available it's happy days. But if these boys are actually are the special, bona fide can't miss talents they're being spruiked as, i reckon they'd be completely out of our reach, no matter ho strong the rest of the draft is.
There’s no Harley Reid or Jason Horne-Francis type number ones this year but there is 20 or more really good players who could raffle top 10 spots. It’s going to be on a needs basis. 2 Whitlocks and Jobe Shanahan have all kicked goals consistently this season at Coates League level and Shanahan definitely has at VFL level and are 3 talls who could be there at our pick.

Surely Adelaide would be open to taking Ash Johnson?

In the right set up Ash Johnson can be a decent third tall forward.

Take the Kangaroos for example - they play a battler like Toby Pink. If Ash Johnson isn't a better third tall forward option then I give up. Larkey and Comben as the 1-2?

Richmond - This is not a high benchmark but he is better than Kosi. Should get a game ahead of him I would have thought. Granted it will be a tough forward line to succeed in but still an option.

StKilda? - if Membrey leaves then an opportunity opens up. Ash is at least the equal of Camineti? Playing half your games at Marvel in perfect conditions should suit him.

Unfortunately I don't think he fits in that well to our forward line and probably needs a fresh start.

This from HS:

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.
We should be into his agent's ear right now, would be perfect for us at full back.

Not sure whether some of these guys are main or rooks list

but there's a fair few I'd delist before Reef (at a minimum, delist & rookie)
  1. Murphy (conc. /retired) - main
  2. Carmichael (conc. /retired) - rookie
  3. Noble (trade) - main
  4. Richards (trade) - rookie
  5. Bytel (delist) - rookie?
  6. Sullivan (delist) - rookie?
  7. Kreuger (delist) - main
  8. AJ (trade or if no takers, delist & rookie)
  9. Long (delist or perhaps another 12 mths depending on chase for Peatling/Davies)
  10. Ryan (delist & rookie) - main, albeit still contracted
  11. Reef (delist & rookie) - main to rookie
Ryan won't be touched and we should honour AJs contract.

However Kreuger and Bytel are a chance of being delisted before Reef.

But we might recruit a few from other clubs as well.

Anyone know anything about Wade Derksen? They were just saying on the Midweek Tackle he’s looking to come back to Victoria. Key Defender. Is he worth a look?

Derksen has had solid numbers as a kew forward, key back and in the ruck

I am not sure if you could say he is better than a Kreuger but I think he has a higher ceiling + not prone to injury, would be pretty keen to get him in as a developing 197cm KPP

In the right set up Ash Johnson can be a decent third tall forward.

Take the Kangaroos for example - they play a battler like Toby Pink. If Ash Johnson isn't a better third tall forward option then I give up. Larkey and Comben as the 1-2?

Richmond - This is not a high benchmark but he is better than Kosi. Should get a game ahead of him I would have thought. Granted it will be a tough forward line to succeed in but still an option.

StKilda? - if Membrey leaves then an opportunity opens up. Ash is at least the equal of Camineti? Playing half your games at Marvel in perfect conditions should suit him.

Unfortunately I don't think he fits in that well to our forward line and probably needs a fresh start.
I just can’t see it.

I was surprised to read he played as a forward and on the wing. If he can get it together, could be what we need.
Looked good on the wing in those highlights.
Sometimes trains there at training. I'd like to see him trial in that position. To use his tank and marking and kicking inside 50

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back