List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed that, but even with the future first in there it’s still a relatively good deal from our end. I’m not sure you understand how good Huston is tbh.
Well, I think you would probably be right about that. I do like what I have seen, but if he is that good, I've obviously not seen enough of him. I'll watch some replays and see if it canges my mind.

Geelong has a history of picking players from the lower leagues. It's one of the reasons that it will be going into a prelim....

We've had a couple of hits but we need to do more. I'm not sure Derek likes going to games watching mature aged footballers....If we going to dump a few players off the list, we might use the lower parts of the draft. to pick up more mature players and/or indigenous players in the WAFL and SANFL or similar levels.

THe other opening is irish players. I usually hate this kind of recruitment but it's desperate times. Derek's eyes will light up with the thoughts of a trip to ireland but we could send someone who knows what they're doing....for a change.

Well, I think you would probably be right about that. I do like what I have seen, but if he is that good, I've obviously not seen enough of him. I'll watch some replays and see if it canges my mind.
I think Josh in the last month of season showed how easy it can be to average 30 plus off half back

The player for us I'd put him on a similar level to and who I'd suggest is probably a similar value is Josh Daicos. Would Lukosius (as a partial salary dump) Richards and pick 32 for Josh make you happy?

Geelong has a history of picking players from the lower leagues. It's one of the reasons that it will be going into a prelim....

We've had a couple of hits but we need to do more. I'm not sure Derek likes going to games watching mature aged footballers....If we going to dump a few players off the list, we might use the lower parts of the draft. to pick up more mature players and/or indigenous players in the WAFL and SANFL or similar levels.

THe other opening is irish players. I usually hate this kind of recruitment but it's desperate times. Derek's eyes will light up with the thoughts of a trip to ireland but we could send someone who knows what they're doing....for a change.

If you do the Irish experiment imo they should get 2 players.
Have some familiarity of culture and be able to relate to each other's problems etc.

They all tend to get homesick within 3 or so seasons.

We did pick up 4 this year ... and tried to remove some of the guess work by having them train with us rather than drafting them. Unfortunately, you have to pick the right ones.

We did pick up 4 this year ... and tried to remove some of the guess work by having them train with us rather than drafting them. Unfortunately, you have to pick the right ones.
Then we picked all of them (almost) and none of them were much good. I think the club was still bathing in the glory of a premiership afterglow. You are right, you need to get the right ones. Bytel was the biggest mystery for me. Couldn’t see it at any stage.

mature age players ... guess-work?
national draft .. pot-luck / lottery?

i just don't get it

body of work for both cohorts, yep
lots of variables, absolutely

but this is the game / job / industry / challenge / task at hand

Why do you think jobs have a period where you can be terminated really easily in the first 3 months?

In all forms of recruitment, there's heaps of guesswork. And that bloke you think would fit in seemlessly is a pain in the arse who you'd like gone. Or isn't as good at whatever his trick is when the pace and intensity rises, etc... Doesn't cope with no longer being the big fish in a small pond. Doesn't cope with the greater complexity of AFL game plans.

The 4 were rejects from other teams. It's not a bad strategy if a player has travelled from home and there is news of discontent and he's delisted....so have a look at the GWS boys or gold coast ones that are ex-vic and get delisted. They might be worth a shot.

but bytel had been given a good go at st. kilda....

i think joe richards is a better template. Someone who missed the draft initially and then went on to play at a lower level.

I think the recruiting people can be a bit arrogant and think they and their mates at other teams know how to judge talent but they fail to realise that kids are sometimes better at 19 or 20 or 21 or after they have moved out of home.

The bottom line for me is that when the over 30s retire next year, we are stuffed if we have to rely on 18yo from the draft and a couple of discards from other teams.

Have some familiarity of culture and be able to relate to each other's problems etc.

well they cant be on working holidays preparing to be doctors....that's a recipe for go-home

AFLW seem to have more success and its a putrid set up with the shorter season and less proffesionalism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 4 were rejects from other teams. It's not a bad strategy if a player has travelled from home and there is news of discontent and he's delisted....so have a look at the GWS boys or gold coast ones that are ex-vic and get delisted. They might be worth a shot.

but bytel had been given a good go at st. kilda....

i think joe richards is a better template. Someone who missed the draft initially and then went on to play at a lower level.

I think the recruiting people can be a bit arrogant and think they and their mates at other teams know how to judge talent but they fail to realise that kids are sometimes better at 19 or 20 or 21 or after they have moved out of home.

The bottom line for me is that when the over 30s retire next year, we are stuffed if we have to rely on 18yo from the draft and a couple of discards from other teams.
We just won a flag.
IMO the club has a few years grace to get us heading in the correct direction.
All clubs go through down periods, the times of continually staying at the top have ended mostly. (E.g. Carlton brown paper bags, cap rorts, COLA, Hawthorn zoned drafting. Accadamies and AFL gifted draft hands to expansion clubs and North Melbourne are still around however.)
I'm not gready 1 flag every 10-15 years will good enough for me.

We just won a flag.
IMO the club has a few years grace to get us heading in the correct direction.
All clubs go through down periods, the times of continually staying at the top have ended mostly. (E.g. Carlton brown paper bags, cap rorts, COLA, Hawthorn zoned drafting. Accadamies and AFL gifted draft hands to expansion clubs and North Melbourne are still around however.)
I'm not gready 1 flag every 10-15 years will good enough for me.

I don't think i am greedy but just once in my life I want to see a Pies dynasty! 1990, 2010, 2023 is not quite enough.

Why do you think jobs have a period where you can be terminated really easily in the first 3 months?

In all forms of recruitment, there's heaps of guesswork. And that bloke you think would fit in seemlessly is a pain in the arse who you'd like gone. Or isn't as good at whatever his trick is when the pace and intensity rises, etc... Doesn't cope with no longer being the big fish in a small pond. Doesn't cope with the greater complexity of AFL game plans.
i agree wholeheartedly there are lots of variables involved but to call it 'guesswork', to call the draft 'a lottery', infers the well-paid full-time 25+ yr 'professionals' we have steering the recruitment ship are clueless or making it up as they go

they are paid to use their experience / contacts / network; to undertake proper due diligence; to leverage their 'gut instinct'; to use the data (perf / injury / psych / envir / genetic); to trawl through & analyse the existing body of a player's work (experienced or newb) in order to forecast & predict potential or likely future perf; and at times, to lean on some luck, sure .. but to give the recruiters a mulligan and suggest any national draft pick after #10 is a 'lottery', whilst recruiting mature-age players is heavily based on 'guess-work' is IMO ridiculous

our strategy end-23 to by-pass the draft, maintain 3+ list spots open and rely so heavily on the SSP in order to see up close (under training only conditions) a bunch of mature-agers that had all previously been on afl lists, is also seriously flawed

yeah OK, you got me. I AM selfish and I don't care about the Saints fans! I just want a dynasty
What we may want, and what we get are two different things lol Footy is much more compeitive and close these days that makes it much more difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back