List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not want McStay in the backline
- he is now our focal point
I do not want Checkers in the backline
- guy has held our forward 50 together for years
I don’t not want Kreugs in the backline
- Cats’ fans were both angry and laughed when he was played there bc they had too many forwards

Are things really that dire that we need to send our best forwards (and in a team that struggles for KPF impact) to the backline?

Last edited:
Are we talking about the same Mihocek? I can't think of one time that he's played even half a game in defence in an AFL match.
In his 10th or so game, we had to put him on prime Buddy who proceeded to kick 6 for the night (only 3 after Mihocek went to him tbf) and we proceeded to lose by 2 points at the SCG.

Sticks out as out of of the sorest H&A losses I can remember. Dunn and Scharenberg have fresh ACL injuries, leaving us with inexperienced and still injury prone Moore and first game Madgen as our key defensive pairing for the night. Moore didn’t make it past quarter time, forcing us to move Mihocek back and the rest is history. Alex Johnson kicked the winner for them.

Is Curtis Taylor worth a look?

I don't watch much North, but thought he was meant to be one of their good kids and he was just delisted (yes, being delisted by North is probably a bit damning but Fly can get the best out of players)

Worth a shot
He played his two senior games at Geelong in 2021 (R21 and R22) at CHB. He played both CHF & CHB all through his junior years

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/nathan-kreuger/

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/851422/kreuger-set-to-settle-in-defence

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?t=103331

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...0Xv0hBkw1yTrx8n5QUxoCj_MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nathan Kreuger set to make AFL debut with Geelong

Exciting swingman Nathan Kreuger is set to make his AFL debut with Geelong when it takes on North Melbourne in Hobart on Saturday.

EXCITING swingman Nathan Kreuger is set to make his AFL debut with Geelong when it takes on North Melbourne in Hobart on Saturday.

Kreuger has performed strongly at both ends of the ground for the Cats at VFL level but has found a home down back, which is where he will spend most of his time against the Kangaroos.

The 22-year-old, who comes into the team at the expense of Irishman Mark O’Connor (knee soreness), only found out he was playing at the same time as his teammates and showed his humility by saying it was an unexpected call up.

“We went out to do a captain’s run and did the normal thing and then we came in and all of a sudden it was ‘all right everyone get in’ and then ‘Kreugs, you’re debuting’ and everyone went wild,” Kreuger said.

“It was a bit of a surprise and all the boys got around me which was even better, so it is exciting.

“I reckon I will go to a key, either at full back or centre half-back, and do a job on whoever Scarlo (backline coach, Matthew Scarlett) wants me to do. I reckon it will probably change from quarter to quarter, or even half to half, but I am just happy to be in there and playing a role.”

At 196cm, Kreuger has long been earmarked as a key position prospect for the Cats, but after impressing as a forward before moving into defence and then performing strongly there as well, the main question that has lingered around him has been where he will ultimately find his spot in the team.

IIRC JDG went to the Red Bull camp, and it was during that trip we had dressing-gown-gate and he ended up in the New York lockup overnight.

Will the wholesome Petracca get up to similar shenanigans? Let’s see.
Pretty sure that was a Monster energy drink thing.

Edit: just read you found out already 😅

Is Curtis Taylor worth a look?

I don't watch much North, but thought he was meant to be one of their good kids and he was just delisted (yes, being delisted by North is probably a bit damning but Fly can get the best out of players)
Wasted talent who never put the hard yards in if you ask the North fans that watched his development. Can't help but feel the club can be a bit to blame as he's far from being on his lonesome in not playing his best for the guernsey.

Has skills and runs hard all day. Work rate very questionable. Mason Wood was pretty similar from memory, who went on to become an outstanding free pick up for St Kilda. Can lightning strike twice?

SSP train-on option for mine.

Last edited:
It's never worked playing Mihocek in the backline (except at VFL level, which is different), while there's absolutely no reason at all why Membrey would be a good pickup for us (except that he comes cheap).
It’s never worked because we’ve literally never done it outside of him dropping back for short periods in maybe 2 or 3 games over his entire career.

They put us in the headline but barely mention us in connection to any of these defenders lol

Hawthorn has told No.6 draft pick Denver Grainger-Barras it cannot guarantee him a new contract as the defender joins the list of key backs who could be on the market this off-season.
Grainger-Barras missed months during the middle of the season with a toe complaint but has still failed to make the most of his early selection in the 2020 draft playing 28 games across four years.

Clubs across the country are desperate to stockpile young talent in a November superdraft that will push many fringe players into delisted free agency.

Hawthorn has told Grainger-Barras that until it can execute a trade for West Coast’s Tom Barrass and land St Kilda free agent Josh Battle its list position will be unclear.

The Hawks might eventually be able to hand him a one-year deal but will not know until after the trade period.

He has rival interest but given he could be a delisted free agent clubs will be unlikely to want to trade for him, so he faces weeks of limbo before his position is clear.

Carlton’s Lewis Young, contracted for another two years, is another player assessing rival interest after the Blues told him he was free to look around.

Carlton will secure GWS free agent Nick Haynes as an unrestricted free agent so has more defensive cover, but has also delisted Caleb Marchbank.

Young played in Carlton’s elimination final loss to Brisbane but as they try to free cap space and list spots he will now assess the market.

Clubs like Collingwood will now scour the market for key backs, with former Pie Mark Keane committing to a new three-year deal at Adelaide instead of returning to Melbourne.

Essendon’s Jayden Laverde has interest from clubs including St Kilda, with the Dons unwilling to negotiate a new deal with him past 2025.

Hawthorn’s Sam Frost is a required player but St Kilda is also interested in him despite signing up Dougal Howard for another season.

Sydney’s Joel Hamling is well down the pecking order at the Swans, while Gold Coast’s Caleb Graham has again been stuck in the VFL despite impressive numbers and a contract to 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy is the one I’d love to get. Losing Adams and Mitchell being out most of the year was telling. Need someone to protect Nick and Ed. He should be a priority signing for little draft capital we’d need to give up.

I know someone else mentioned James Van Es.
I watched his draft video and he looks good.
Checked the saints board and he’s only got 5 pages on him.
Reckon we should pick him up, we fill that many with criticism alone!
On a serious note, anyone know anything about why he was delisted?
Lots of injuries.

You are FOS.. I know for a fact O'Bree rated him in defence and he played very well for Cats VFL in 2021. They were hoping that form would transfer to the seniors but did not eventuate because he then got injured and at the EOS he asked to be traded to us.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not FOS mate I worked for the Catters whilst Kreugs and Obee were at the joint. Athletically and at training he looks OK but as soon as there's an opponent he's just lost in defence and his awkwardness just makes him a liability back there. On several occasions his eyesight was questioned because he would just run into the backs of other players. No peripheral awareness.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back