List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

So THREE of Brisbane's Goal to Goal line KPP's were Academy picks.....nice lurk if you can get it. Whilst Sydney have 5 academy players running around (including 2 of their best 3). Northern States have some pretty nice free kicks eh?
Hello, best of wishes in the Perryman chase.
As a matter of interest, would Collingwood fans prefer the DVI changes for 2025 to have been brought in this year, or at least partially phased in.

Hello, best of wishes in the Perryman chase.
As a matter of interest, would Collingwood fans prefer the DVI changes for 2025 to have been brought in this year, or at least partially phased in.
I think a partial phase in was appropriate. They're being changed because everyone knows that good Father Sons and academy kids are way too cheap. Why keep it in fully for another year. But only partial for teams who'd done a bit of planning around it.

What interests me is with the higher price, will clubs get the really good ones to fly under the radar?

OLLIE Lord is attracting interest from Victorian clubs, amid Port Adelaide's pursuit of Gold Coast forward Jack Lukosius.

Collingwood is in the market for a key forward and has enquired, while Melbourne has held long-term interest in Lord and is also understood to be keeping tabs.

Lord signed a two-year contract extension last December that ties him to the Power until the end of 2026, after Geelong made an advance during the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

We were keen on Lord in his draft year.

Struggling to wrap my head around the Perryman figures. Has a real Zac Williams stench about it. Perryman is a fine serviceable player, but you don’t make serviceable players top 5 paid on the list. On the other hand, it’d be nice to capitalise on free agency and pick up players without jeopardising our draft hand. I can be sold Perryman + first round pick + Richards/later pick as opposed to having just Houston (if we were to go down that path)

My quiet hope is that by giving a large deal that could get GWS a first round compensation pick, perhaps if Peatling comes to us the Giants will deal him much cheaper as a result of us already upgrading their pick from 19 to 14.

Ollie Lord is a very exciting player to be linked to. 4 goals in a final at 21 years old is something spuds don’t do. Would be a super addition and tick off the box for a young forward.

Also says this
But depending what happens with marshall, they also have georgiadis

Port Adelaide has assured the 22-year-old he is part of the future of the club and doesn't want to trade him, despite Lukosius requesting a move to the Power.
They’ve got a weird shake up of forwards. Even after Dixon’s retirement, they’ve also got Esava in their best side and Finlayson hanging around as an option too.

I wonder what their best mix is for 2025.

I’m ok with the coach wanting players over picks.

However, picks will become players once selected.
So he needs to trust the balance of the list bosses and scouts who are entrusted with this work

We need to get the balance right
Coaches tell list managers the type of player they want.

The list managers find the best type of player while balancing the books.

The Draft allows you to bring in talented kids/assets while balancing the books.

Like Sheedy told SOS at GWS when they clashed “You can pick ‘em, but if I don’t like ‘em I won’t play ‘em”

So THREE of Brisbane's Goal to Goal line KPP's were Academy picks.....nice lurk if you can get it. Whilst Sydney have 5 academy players running around (including 2 of their best 3). Northern States have some pretty nice free kicks eh?

It'll get bigger. The system isn't that old and the first picks are only just peaking now with more guys still to come through and hit their peak.

A Northern era is happening.

Plus with the new changes, WA have been given a leg up too. Two teams have got priority access to every Aboriginal kid from WA. Every Matera, Buddy, Winmar, Hill, Bolton Krakouer, etc. With the cash to splash on development.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve got a weird shake up of forwards. Even after Dixon’s retirement, they’ve also got Esava in their best side and Finlayson hanging around as an option too.

Thats true, and given their dyfunctional forward line its a strange one. But they have options
They also have Scully developing too.

I’m a fan of trying for someone like Lord.

His ability to play forward and pinch hit in the ruck would give us something a little more established to compete with Cox rather than the untried Steene and Smit.

I’d be more inclined to give him first crack next year with Cameron, McStay and Checkers and have Cox try and force his way in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We for needs at 31 and selected McMahon instead. Neale or Lord would have been a better choice in hindsight
We've had so many of those.
Scharenberg & Freeman instead of Cripps.
Stevo instead of Naughton.
Georgiades or Sam De Koning if we hadn't traded Beams back in. (Chad Warner went the pick before Rantall in that draft).

Every club has f**kups like that, though.

Yes, interested in Lord as an option.

I'm fine with Fly's comment re players over picks. Our list is still inside the window to contend, we need to bring in a few pieces to fill gaps now, it's a balance of the two of looking after the now and looking after the future also.

Need a fresh set of eyes on recruitment, time for Hine to be moved on.

Finlayson Imo will move on. I just hope we Don't get him.

Esava needs to go back to defence or Sanfl.

FUTURE PIE ON SHOW

COLLINGWOOD father-son prospect Thomas McGuane will feature in Saturday morning's Grand Final curtain raiser at the MCG as the Magpies get a closer look at the 2025 draftee.

McGuane has been selected as part of the group of under-17s players to feature in the Marsh AFL National Futures program, with the contest ahead of the Sydney and Brisbane premiership decider.

The Western Jets talent, who is the son of former Magpie Mick, played under his dad's coached side Keilor last week in Melbourne to win a senior premiership with the club.

The talented midfielder showed exciting signs for Jets this year and is shaping as another potential father-son win for the Pies.

There will be a number of other players with notable bloodlines in the clash, including Cody Curtin (brother of Adelaide's Daniel), Willem Duursma (brother of Bomber Xavier and Kangaroo Zane), Kalani White (son of former Melbourne and Fremantle ruckman Jeff) and Zeke Uwland (brother of Gold Coast's Bodhi).

The game will start at 9.35am and be live streamed on AFL.com.au

NEW DVI DEFICIT FOR CLUBS

A NEW points deficit limit for matching bids on father-son and Academy players will see Brisbane forced to get creative with its draft hand this year.

This year will be the last season of the current Draft Value Index, with updated points per pick to be brought in for 2025. Next year's DVI, however, has seen the AFL shave off nearly 10,000 points so clubs find it harder to match multiple Academy or father-son bids and reduced points attached to mid-draft picks.

Under the outgoing bidding system, clubs have had a points deficit limit at 1723 points, meaning they could only go that far into deficit to match bids. Any further and they would not be allowed to match a bid on a draftee.

The number was the equivalent of the total points attached to the group of picks assigned to the premiership team each year: No.18, 36, 54 and 72.

But with clubs heading into next year's model, they will have their new points deficit reduced to 1167 points, equal to pick 18 (836 points), 36 (317), 54 (14) and 72 (0) in the new model.

Essentially, the Lions, who have bids to match on father-son gun Levi Ashcroft and Academy midfielder Sam Marshall, will not be able to go into as far a deficit if early bids come. The only club to have a deficit on their first-round pick in the past was Fremantle in 2020, which went into a slight deficit to match a bid on NGA player Liam Henry.

A bid for Ashcroft is expected in the first five selections and top 20 for Marshall, who was last week named best afield in the Coates Talent League Grand Final for Sandringham.

Clubs are pushing to trade for Brisbane's first-round pick – which will be No.17 or 18 after the Grand Final – given the Lions will look to turn the prized selection into more picks and points.

ANOTHER GIANT WEIGHING UP FUTURE

GREATER Western Sydney is still waiting for an answer on utility Conor Stone's future, as the club battles to retain a host of players amid rival interest.

Stone has had a two-year deal on the table to stay at the Giants for a number of weeks now, but is yet to commit to the club for next season and beyond.

Stone's situation adds to the uncertainty around a number of key Giants, with free agent Isaac Cumming having already told the club he will leave and with uncontracted duo Harry Perryman and James Peatling still to decide their future.

Veteran defender Nick Haynes is another who has told the club he will leave for Carlton as an unrestricted free agent, while Wade Derksen has requested a move to Melbourne despite being contracted for next year.

As revealed on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, midfielder Xavier O'Halloran also has interest from the Western Bulldogs but is another who is contracted for 2025.

Cumming is set to move to South Australia but is yet to decide between Adelaide or Port Adelaide, while Perryman has attracted lucrative free agency offers from Port Adelaide and Collingwood but is also considering a six-year deal to stay at the Giants.

The Giants have a three-year deal on the table for Peatling, though the midfielder has been in Victoria this week meeting with clubs amid interest from Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs.

Stone, recruited to the club with pick No.15 back in 2020, has played 13 games across four years at the Giants including four appearances this season.

The high-flying 22-year-old has recently been moved to a role across half-back and had been earmarked to benefit from the likely departures of Cumming and Perryman, should he remain at the club next season

Josh Battle's six-year deal at Hawthorn will net St Kilda either a first-round selection or end-of-first-round pick, with the contract expected to be on the verge of the band on grading. That would hand the Saints picks No.7 and 8.

But if it falls short, the pick will come in at the end of the first round. Last year the Bombers' Ben McKay free agency deal, worth more than $800,000 a season, saw the Kangaroos get a band one free agency compensation pick.

Collingwood's hot late pursuit of Giants free agent Harry Perryman, joining Port Adelaide with a lucrative long-term offer, is set to at least secure an end-of-first-round pick for the Giants should he leave. At best it could nudge band one territory, which would come after the Giants' current pick (No.14).

Giants unrestricted free agent Isaac Cumming is off to either Port or Adelaide on a deal that clubs think would most likely trigger an end-of-second-round pick, while Richmond premiership player Jack Graham is weighing up a four-year offer from West Coast. If he was to depart an end-of-second-round pick is seen as the best possible result for compensation for the Tigers

number of other free agents are assessing their options and eyeing moves, with unrestricted free agents Nick Haynes (Giants to Carlton) and Elliott Himmelberg (Adelaide to Gold Coast) set for moves.

Among other free agents, West Coast's Josh Rotham is on the radar of Essendon and Melbourne defender Adam Tomlinson has caught Collingwood's attention.

Delisted Carlton free agent Jack Martin is set to join either Fremantle or Geelong, while St Kilda's free agent Tom Campbell, who was cut by the Saints, is poised to join Melbourne. Richmond free agent and superstar Dustin Martin is still weighing up a move to finish his career at Gold Coast

3/4 were spuds - One of them was Deledio, who was a jet in his prime, which unfortunately did not coincide with Richmond being any good at all.
I remember the "Fab 5" being splashed all over the back page of the HS. Deledio (The only hit), Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo. They followed up the following year with Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls and a triumphant Greg Miller claiming that Collingwood had stuffed up the draft by over reaching for Scott Pendlebury

Finlayson Imo will move on. I just hope we Don't get him.

Esava needs to go back to defence or Sanfl.
Only reason they'd continue with Esava is the sunk cost fallacy, honestly. He did not improve their back line at all and was a comically bad forward option. Not even good at providing a contest up forward and getting the ball to ground.

If I'm ranking Port's best tall forwards options, I'm going
1. Georgiades - still only 22 remarkably. Great player.
2. Lord - more than competent forward-ruck. Kicked 4 in a final. Loads of potential.
3. Lukosius - nice third tall and linking half-forward. Can be a ripper with the right support.
4. Finlayson - would still be best 22 at a few clubs IMO. Solid depth option.
5. Ratugolea - just not AFL standard at either end.

I really hope we can get Lord out of them, but with two years on his deal I can't see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back