List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

This article is perfect. Look at Brisbane's draft picks in recent drafts . Aside from two f/s( we of all clubs shouldn't be complaining about f/s) barely any academy picks in their starting lineup.
I believe we could draft better, don't get me wrong. Could be a reason Hine is being demoted but I really have no idea

Interesting comments by Fly on SEN saying "I don't want picks, l want players"...Even if we get a pick 12, would we trade it out?
Not really, as we are discussing, this would be nothing new for coaches.
They look to instant improvement.
But these decisions are made by the list management department whose job it is to look after the future of the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood are looking at options to replace hine. Think it is time to employ a different drafting and scouting philosophy .
That was what I was told months ago, that it would be his last draft. But well see whether that ends up true or not.

Maybe
But tbf, Port recruited him with a F2 and some other picks.

This was the trade from richmond to port last year

The Tigers have received picks 41 and 49, a future second-round pick tied to Fremantle as well as Port's future fourth-round pick in exchange for Soldo, with the Power also getting Richmond's pick 50 in return.

So freo's F2 this year is pick 27
So Port paid pick 27, 41, 49 and 72
What they paid 12 months ago is irrelevant. What did they pay for Sweet who was the Dogs depth ruck and overtook Soldo?

Soldo is the depth ruck now, his value has gone down significantly.

That’s what I got from Fly’s comment too. I reckon if you polled the current head coaches all of them (or at least a distinct majority) would have the same belief. Because their goals are more short term.

But a list manager needs to balance short term goals with long term goals which is why you need the list manager to be different to the coach.
Correct.
This is why there is a list managment department. That doesn't have the pressure the coach does. Their job is to build the list for the now, and for the future.

What they paid 12 months ago is irrelevant. What did they pay for Sweet who was the Dogs depth ruck and overtook Soldo?

Soldo is the depth ruck now, his value has gone down significantly.
Thats true, but unless they find other picks, they only have so much they can use and have a lot of deals.
Also he's still contracted for 2 years.
Suppose if saints want him enough, will be interesting what they decide to pay given they dont have a lot to deal with.

Correct me If I am wrong , but I am pretty sure the president echoed similar sentiments. Would be hard pressed to think they are the only two members of the senior management who share this sentiment.
Neither of those two are the list manager or recruitment manager.

Besides we don't even have the picks this year to worry about it..🥴

We just won a flag last year. Get a grip. We’ve traded out of most drafts for players like Bobby hill, Mitchell, etc. we drafted beau, etc with later picks.
That was on the back of senior players we traded in/had on our list. Surely you can't overlook the history of failure of our first round picks in recent years( excluding the likes of allan, de matia as jury is still out on them). We are missing out on top end talent as we are unable to identify/ develop them properly.

Thats true, but unless they find other picks, they only have so much they can use and have a lot of deals.
Also he's still contracted for 2 years.
Suppose if saints want him enough, will be interesting what they decide to pay given they dont have a lot to deal with.
Whilst the Saints are obviously interested I doubt they’d be desperate enough to give anything of significance given they’ve already got an excellent ruck in Marshall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can all agree that our drafting department and talent development department needs a major overhaul.
Leppa is our new list manager. And we have already said we're putting more money into the recruitment department.

We've also said we're interested in Boak as a development coach, should he retire.

Trade period hasn't even begun yet. Let's give Leppa a chance, hey?

He couldn't have been any more emphatic.

At last we can put that potential trade to rest.
Leppa is a big tough centre half back. He's not being dictated to by a weedy forward pocket.

Katharine Hepburn Reaction GIF by Maudit

Explains it here. You can bring in FA's and still improve your list while not affecting your draft hand. Just a balance, but guess given his stance is getting better, makes sense from his POV

“It’s just a philosophy,” McRae said in regards to how he wants to build the club’s list.

“I want to get better every day, and I want to bring players in that make us better.

“I don't want to stand still … Geelong have done it extremely well, you look at that as a platform and you see other clubs like this year, Sydney brought players in, and it made them better.

“I don't quite buy into the ‘(premiership) window’ thing, I think, ‘Let’s just keep getting better, keep improving ourselves’.

“That's not excluding our young players either, we've got to make sure our players still get opportunities and improve and, but I certainly would like to bring players in every year if we can.”

Yes, players not picks will rock a few posters here going after talls in the draft.

It’s does line up with our early season comments about not bottoming out.

If we change to a more aggressive game plan then intercepting off half back and speed will be priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The picks will get us players...

Whilst the Saints are obviously interested I doubt they’d be desperate enough to give anything of significance given they’ve already got an excellent ruck in Marshall.
Will be an interesting watch what they'll give up.
But if richards plans on leaving, hopefully we get nothing less than a pick into the top 30-35

Explains it here. You can bring in FA's and still improve your list while not affecting your draft hand. Just a balance, but guess given his stance is getting better, makes sense from his POV

“It’s just a philosophy,” McRae said in regards to how he wants to build the club’s list.

“I want to get better every day, and I want to bring players in that make us better.

“I don't want to stand still … Geelong have done it extremely well, you look at that as a platform and you see other clubs like this year, Sydney brought players in, and it made them better.

“I don't quite buy into the ‘(premiership) window’ thing, I think, ‘Let’s just keep getting better, keep improving ourselves’.

“That's not excluding our young players either, we've got to make sure our players still get opportunities and improve and, but I certainly would like to bring players in every year if we can.”
It's almost like some people weren't listening to him speak.. 🥴

I’m shocked to still see talk about us trying to get Gold Coast’s pick 12

I just don’t see how we pull that off realistically.

I thought we’d focus on 20 and try and then get that upgraded into the teens

I’m shocked to still see talk about us trying to get Gold Coast’s pick 12

I just don’t see how we pull that off realistically.

I thought we’d focus on 20 and try and then get that upgraded into the teens
Have to be in a Multiple Team Trade only way Possible

It's almost like some people weren't listening to him speak.. 🥴
Its not like he is saying to give up our first rounder and 2nd rounder every year. But more a balance. You can still bring in players to make you better, but would understand how young players are important too.
I think its more referring that we dont need multiple picks and build from the bottom up, you can draft and recruit at the same time.

Its not like he is saying to give up our first rounder and 2nd rounder every year. But more a balance. You can still bring in players to make you better, but would understand how young players are important too.
I think its more referring that we dont need multiple picks and build from the bottom up, you can draft and recruit at the same time.
Agree. He was very clear & I thought he made complete sense.

Bottoming out shouldn’t be a requirement if you get at least your trading right

If you get both your trading and drafting right then it’s not even a thought

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back