List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

The wing is becoming super important and will be even more next year. We are starting to see super athletic wingman who break lines and can offer a good down the line marking option. I'm just not sure Lippa is in the same mould. They need a point of difference to be effective going forward. I'm just big on pace as one of the more effective weapons for the future
I definitely agree with pace especially behind the ball to cover ground in a zone setup, but Jaicos and Steele aren’t quick and were pretty effective last year. His saving grace is his ball use because he only needs 10-12 kicks to have an effective game. It’s a watch entering 2025 and I wouldn’t be preparing his footballing obituary just yet considering he hasn’t missed a game when fit under Fly.

I definitely agree with pace especially behind the ball to cover ground in a zone setup, but Jaicos and Steele aren’t quick and were pretty effective last year. His saving grace is his ball use because he only needs 10-12 kicks to have an effective game. It’s a watch entering 2025 and I wouldn’t be preparing his footballing obituary just yet considering he hasn’t missed a game when fit under Fly.
I'm all for it bro. I'll back the club in either way. I'm just on this pace obsession atm and finding it hard to shake

I have heard 3rd hand Houston wants to come to us.
The same person was on the money with Mitchell being a done deal too.
🤷‍♂️
The biggest stumbling block is his management and the complexity of working a deal they think can satisfy Port. Carlton’s path is obvious, but their stubbornness in moving the picks to get it done looks like it’ll work in our favour.

I’m seat 1A on the Peatling bandwagon, but I agree. The flow on effect of injecting that level of sameness into our best 23 doesn’t excite me for 2025, but the only question it throws up for me is how do you make it work next year bringing Allan through to prevent a Richmonesque cliff?

Injuries and role shuffling takes care of the rest and both GWS guys cover the Pendles and Steele cliff because their 2024 output offsets those losses.
My main point of concern is will we get the role shuffling correct.

There’s great potential in our shuffling around if we can move Naicos away from first possession to the next receiver and Jordan De Goey to to play the forward half role that was envisioned at the start of 2022.

The potential drawbacks I see are Perryman and Peatling not getting enough midfield time in favour of that status quo and and being forced into the periphery with Perryman replacing Noble at half back and Peatling playing as another defensive forward and we end up looking like a more sour version of the 2024 team.

There’s great potential in our shuffling around if we can move Naicos away from first possession to the next receiver and Jordan De Goey to to play the forward half role that was envisioned at the start of 2022.

The potential drawbacks I see are Perryman and Peatling not getting enough midfield time in favour of that status quo and and being forced into the periphery with Perryman replacing Noble at half back and Peatling playing as another defensive forward and we end up looking like a more sour version of the 2024 team.
It's the status quo that worries me the most. We can't fall for the old trick of going in with the same old, same old. We need to add to and change up our rotations and as you said, get them right

Collingwood​

2024 record: Ninth (12-9-2). List manager: Justin Leppitsch. Who’s gone? Aiden Begg (delisted), Josh Carmichael (retired), Nathan Murphy (retired). Out of contract: Jack Bytel, Charlie Dean, Josh Eyre, Ned Long, Nathan Kreuger, Oleg Markov, Reef McInnes, Joe Richards, Lachie Sullivan. Current draft picks: 33 (tied to Hawthorn), 48, 51 (tied to Hawthorn). On the move? John Noble has requested a trade to Gold Coast.
What they need: The 2023 premiers are still in win-now mode, but have some list holes to plug in the key posts at either end, while they are trying hard to retain forward Joe Richards.

Trade/free agency targets: GWS unrestricted free agent Harry Perryman remains a priority, and the Pies are firming to sign him. They have also expressed interest in another GWS player, James Peatling, plus Power tall forward Ollie Lord and Melbourne defender Adam Tomlinson, but won’t pursue Jake Stringer.
Draft targets: Collingwood won’t enter the draft until beyond pick 30, but in their favour is that this is a deep draft. A key-position player such as Matt Whitlock, Thomas Sims or Noah Mraz might still be on the board.

It’s a lot of movement in 2025. I think it probably answers itself once Steele and Pendles move on, but yeah get it wrong (which would be easy to do) and we’re staring down the barrel of a 2024 start to the year all over again because there’s no way we get a soft draw to open the season. The saving grace for me is the early finish which gives us an extra five weeks to map it all out and I think you just have to have faith they can make it all work.

he isnt going to find success as an inside mid unless he cleans up his fumbling

I mean...did you ignore the part of my post that said "worst case scenario as an outside mid/tagger"?

I didn't want to mention the 3 veterans because I value my life. But yeah, all 3 will have up and down years. WHE will have his roles week to week but given a good run with injuries and the addition of the two new recruits, he's no guarantee of playing every week. Lippa is in trouble also, had a terrible year and his lack of pace is telling
I can see it with whe if it's for one role he'd be lucky to get a game, although I think he's excellent playing the fat side half forward - we score when we get it out there to him, - but it's also the flexibility he gives the coaches. A tall gets injured, whe keeps our structure. Let's sub a tall to give us extra run and pressure - whe forward. We need someone offering a hit up target to help get out of defence - whe to the wing. Roll him forward, back, wing if you need to change things up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see it with whe if it's for one role he'd be lucky to get a game, although I think he's excellent playing the fat side half forward - we score when we get it out there to him, - but it's also the flexibility he gives the coaches. A tall gets injured, whe keeps our structure. Let's sub a tall to give us extra run and pressure - whe forward. We need someone offering a hit up target to help get out of defence - whe to the wing. Roll him forward, back, wing if you need to change things up.
I would much prefer WHE than Lippa on the wing. The hit up target is so important

Nah. He was our second highest ranked player up to the bye going at a tick under 20 possessions and a goal which were elite by role. Beyond that though he fell off a cliff once he was asked to do more of the heavy lifting with Steele struggling and JDG and Mitchell injured. I think Naicos is the only one that’ll benefit more from a full complement of mids in 2025. My tip is he starts Rd 1 on a wing as Sr pointed out though he needs to find some consistency in that role to remain a best 23 fit.
IMO we didn’t ask him to do enough heavy lifting. We gave those midfield opportunities to Sullivan, Bytel and Long whilst leaving Lipniski to rot at half forward in a team that fell apart post the bye.

So we lose Noble and then give way Pick 12 from the Suns for Lord....🤣🤣🤣....

Lord wasn't even an emergency in their finals teams. I know he has had some injuries and has potential, but to say he's the value of a Pick 12 is laughable......
We won't be getting pick 12 straight for Noble so it's not giving up pick 12 for Lord

Josh is actually deceptively quick, there’s been several occasions in the past few years where he’s had the top running speed on the ground.

So far, next years draft group is bad, expecting 3/4 of the top 10 to be academy players
Genuine question as the draft system bamboozles me. The Academies are for NSW/QLD only right? So if 7 of the top 10 of next year’s draft are academy nominations how does that make it a bad draft? I’m thinking that in this scenario the best Vic/SA/WA kids are then available lower down the order which presents opportunities for clubs who don’t have top ten picks.

IMO we didn’t ask him to do enough heavy lifting. We gave those midfield opportunities to Sullivan, Bytel and Long whilst leaving Lipniski to rot at half forward in a team that fell apart post the bye.
I thought he pushed up the field into the contest more as a HHF and just struggled with the body pressure, but I wasn’t able to attend in person as much through that period so I’ll take your word on it. We definitely weren’t getting enough supply until the final 6 weeks when the Steele and Jaicos moves were made.

Using Bytel over Lipinski on a wing in hindsight was an error, IMO, but Long made sense as a bigger body and Sullivan barely played post bye playing just the 3 matches and averaging under 50% match time.

Both individually fine acquisitions, but I’m a little doubtful as to whether we need to add two midfielders this trade period unless the club are quietly doubtful that Mitchell can get back fit and firing.

We don’t have an elite midfield but we do have depth factoring in De Goey and Mitchell being available for round 0/1. One addition is great, both might be overkill? We still need a tall defender, and potentially a forward like Lord or a good half back. I’d also like to keep options open next year for players like LDU or Petracca if they’re gettable. Perryman and Peatling probably closes that door if they’re coming in on generous salaries.
I think it’s very reasonable to assume Mitchell will be an injury risk. DeGoey too an ongoing injury risk might spend more time forward. Pendles and Sidey aren’t getting younger either so might start to be sub bench options. Crisp might return to defence where he’s most effective to replace the lost run of noble.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back